Parting Gifts: Ch 1 - Dusk - IC

kinem

Adventurer
When Kurina drops her disguise, the employees and other patrons alike stare in amazement. They have rarely seen such a display of either magic or female beauty, and to see both at once is a shock. People begin whispering to each other. "Is it really her?" you overhear.

Jemal

Adventurer
Kurina smiles, winking at Grandfather "Ah, I do so love to make an entrance." She then grows serious "Foster was in here rabble rousing, then a pair of half-orcs came by, trying to start something. Now, you KNOW I've no love for Orcs, but I think this is reaching the brushfire stage. If something isn't done about it soon, King Richards may have more problems from within than without."

Shayuri

First Post
"Not if he presses ahead with that...lunatic idea to corral the halfbreeds up like cattle," Grandfather grumps, sipping at his mug. "Then all the malcontents will be outside, and he'll have what he really wants. War. War fit to split the skies. War means power to a man like him...and power it will bring. But at a price too great to bear, I'm afraid. Especially now, when the blasted fields of the last war are still greening."

Voidrazor

First Post
Haessellekh looks chilly at Kurina then nods gloomily at Granfather's words, "I would as soon cast my eyes out as stomach another war. Perhaps we should denounce Richards and call for the formation of a parliament? It's meddlesome and could backfire I know. But ... you all probably know I've never quite been comfortable being called a 'hero'. How can any of us consider ourselves such if we just sit on our hands now?"

sans

First Post
"Surely, it will not come to war..."

A visible change of mood blanks the smile from Yolo's face. He stares into the cup of wine which Kurina had poured for him. War... The memories of masses of people fleeing death is too much for Yolo to bear. It is not the blood nor the malnourished and miserable physical condition of the refugees that rankles. It is the blank, undead-like hopelessness that appeared in tens of thousands of spiritless eyes which fills Yolo's nightmares.

Shayuri

First Post
"The problem with coming out against him is that we'd then be expected to provide an alternative," Grandfather says with a chuckle. "The people of Bylan are hungry for a leader...for a purpose. A vision to follow, for better or ill. And I don't think any of us would be happy wearing the purple of Kingship...so we either need to find another candidate...or talk some sense into the man who's already put his name into the hat."

kinem

Adventurer
The star-struck waiter retreats, as no orders for food or drink seem forthcoming.

Suddenly there is some noise from the street - hoofbeats, approaching fast, and panicked screaming.

Shayuri

First Post
"Hold on a minute, you," Grandfather snaps at the retreating waiter...then pauses at the sound of trouble outside.

"Blast it. Nevermind."

With surprising spryness to one who doesn't know him, he snatches up his staff and makes haste for the door to see what's happening.

*Preferring to distance himself the idle chatter before the real planning starts, the slit eyed paladin leans just inside the inn room. Reacting immediately to the sound of approaching touble, Zach turns from his lean against the entrance wall. His cloak flourishes out behind him as he stares in the direction of the screaming, hands already gripping the pommel and handle of his Falchion.*

sans

First Post
The screaming... the screaming...

Startled, Yolo realizes he is not just imagining the screaming, "Hey, those screams aren't coming from inside my head!"

He too moves to the door to investigate.

Remove ads