Ben Robbins's Universal Combat Maneuver

Asmor

First Post
As detailed here: http://arsludi.lamemage.com/blog/rules/?permalink=M-M-Universal-Combat-Maneuver.html

ars ludi said:
Next time you want to do something a little different but have no idea how the M&M rules support it, try the Universal Combat Maneuver:

1) Think of an appropriate description of your maneuver, including how it's different from your normal attack.

2) Use a Move action to perform the maneuver.

3) Take a +2 on either Attack, Damage or Defense and a -2 on one of the other two. The adjustments apply to your next attack and last for a full round.

The description can be anything you want, so long as it fits your character and at least vaguely describes why you are getting the bonus and penalty you picked. For example:

Stand very still and take careful aim with your bow, shooting more accurately but making yourself an easier target (+2 attack, -2 defense)

Grab a telephone pole and swing it wildly (+2 damage, -2 attack)

Use your telekinesis to hurl a spray of small rocks at your target instead of one big rock (+2 attack, -2 damage)

Throw up a sheet of fire to singe the werewolf and keep him away from you (+2 defense, -2 damage)

Dig in and channel the spirit of the thunder god and throw sizzling bolts of electrical death (+2 damage, -2 defense)

Seems like a really cool and elegant idea.

rgordona

Explorer
I also thought it was a nice idea. My only concern was a fear that it would be used very rarely, the cost (forgoing a move action) being greater than the benefit. Of course that is not something I can realy be sure of without seeing it in action.

Rystil Arden

First Post
If allowed, this shouldn't stack with Power Attack / Accurate Attack / Defensive Attack / All-Out-Attack. In this case, the bit that is problematic if it stacks is the +2 to something that isn't Defense, -2 to Defense. Defense is just one of several mechanisms that protects you. If the enemy isn't using attacks that require Defense or you have reason to believe you will be safe from attacks, giving an additional +2 on top of those feats may be a bit much--the feats are capped at five for a reason.

Velmont

First Post
I agree with RA. It shouldn't stack with teh feat, it should be a possibility to do the same than the feat when you don't have it.

Bront

The man with the probe
Isn't this almost like power attack/accurate attack, but with defense thrown in?

I don't see it as very nessessary, as you can already do most of it with 2-3 different feats.

Salix

First Post
I would need to look a little closer at the reasoning for it, but it doesn't seem like anything that can't be done by applying existing feats.

Ben Robbins

First Post
Just wanted to butt in for a second to clarify: the Universal Combat Maneuver is not a feat, it's intended as something anyone can do, literally a "one size fits all" rule to cover all the improvised creative things players want to do.

Since it's one rule to cover many options, it's easy to understand and more user friendly than looking up things like the improvised weapon or aim rules. By requiring a description it (hopefully) encourages creativity.

You can still buy feats like power attack if it fits your character, but with the UCM everyone has a little more flexibility to do interesting things even without buying all those feats.

There's more discussion of the logic on the original blog post.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ben Robbins said:
Just wanted to butt in for a second to clarify: the Universal Combat Maneuver is not a feat, it's intended as something anyone can do, literally a "one size fits all" rule to cover all the improvised creative things players want to do.

Since it's one rule to cover many options, it's easy to understand and more user friendly than looking up things like the improvised weapon or aim rules. By requiring a description it (hopefully) encourages creativity.

You can still buy feats like power attack if it fits your character, but with the UCM everyone has a little more flexibility to do interesting things even without buying all those feats.

There's more discussion of the logic on the original blog post.
Great, that link specifies that it does not stack, which is what I wanted to ensure.

rgordona

Explorer
Asmor said:

I vote yes on this.

It seemed like a cool idea when I first read it. I've not seen any bad reviews and all the effects look good to me, (encouraged descriptions, less need for everyone to take trade off feats, etc)

The main down side I see is that it is very definitely a house rule it’s not in the main book or published anywhere except the web. So it would need to be put somewhere pretty prominent if passed.

Remove ads