Level Up (A5E) Are you your own ally for the Help action in combat?

Flavors an interesting thing innit? I also think being able to help yourself as a bonus is kind of cool, and for me it makes flavorful sense for a Marshal (or Mastermind) to do just that.
i actually don't think it makes sense for a marshal to help themselves, since their whole deal flavour wise is helping the team.

xiphumor

Legend
Flavors an interesting thing innit? I also think being able to help yourself as a bonus is kind of cool, and for me it makes flavorful sense for a Marshal (or Mastermind) to do just that.
In the RDJ Sherlock Holmes movie it has his fight scene where it has him visualize the whole combat, predicting his opponents moves and then placing himself in the right position to dodge and strike. Thats the kind of thing I think could be the RP of a self Help action, the character is actively preparing themselves and doing stuff to give themselves an advantage
Have you seen the savant class? That’s their entire gimmick, down to being explicitly inspired by RDJ’s Sherlock Holmes. :p

But I think for most classes, it’s fair to assume that they’re already doing everything they can to succeed using their own abilities on a normal action.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Have you seen the savant class? That’s their entire gimmick, down to being explicitly inspired by RDJ’s Sherlock Holmes. :p

But I think for most classes, it’s fair to assume that they’re already doing everything they can to succeed using their own abilities on a normal action.
I remember savant being about Tricks and flourishes to impose disadvantage on opponents, but yes on reflection I do recall the ‘add expertise’ list of schemes

Btw most of the Marshals abilities say “you and each creature friendly to you… ”

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
Here's my question: how are you planning on Helping yourself?

In the RDJ Sherlock Holmes movie it has his fight scene where it has him visualize the whole combat, predicting his opponents moves and then placing himself in the right position to dodge and strike. Thats the kind of thing I think could be the RP of a self Help action, the character is actively preparing themselves and doing stuff to give themselves an advantage
To me, this feels less like the Help action and more like using a skill trick or maneuver.

Remove ads