Flightless Kenku?

sjmiller

Explorer
Last Friday I picked up Dragon - Monster Ecologies on a whim. I was looking through it and saw the Kenku listed, so I started reading. In the "Birds of a Feather..." sidebar Kenku are described as "flightless pilferers." When did they become flightless? Their original appearance in the 1st Ed. Fiend Folio has them listed as fliers. I don't have access to any 2nd Ed. books, or the current MMIII, so I don't know what those say.

So, when did this change, and why? I kind of like the idea of Kenku flying, stooping* to snatch a prized object. It makes them a bit scarier and a bit more of a threat.

*Yes, I mean "stoop," as in to descend rapidly like a bird persuing its prey.

sjmiller

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Are you sure about 1e? I remember them as being flightless in the Fiend Folio.
Yup, I am sure. I pulled out my FF to check. I do not have it here at work, but I believe they have a 15" flight speed.

BlackMoria

First Post
Make them fliers for your campaign... or not as you like.

It not like there are Monster Designer Nazis out there that are going to come to your house with a barrel of Kenku feathers and a bucket of hot tar to punish you for making them fliers.

sjmiller

Explorer
BlackMoria said:

It not like there are Monster Designer Nazis out there that are going to come to your house with a barrel of Kenku feathers and a bucket of hot tar to punish you for making them fliers.
I know that, and planned on doing it anyway. I was just curious as to the when and why of it all.

Sejs

First Post
BlackMoria said:

We're not?

*looks at his barrel of Kenku feathers*

*sigh*

Fine.

Mercule

Adventurer
sjmiller said:
I know that, and planned on doing it anyway. I was just curious as to the when and why of it all.

It was probably a balance issue. Flight makes a critter much tougher -- at least in theory.

Remove ads