Flightless Kenku?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Maybe there should be a short feat chain for flightless bird monsters -- allow them to glide with one feat, then allow them to fly with another?

Shadowdancer

First Post
frankthedm said:
IIRC they used to have some spell like abilities too.

IIRC, that was for advanced types: those that had more hit die than the standard creatures. They also got thief abilities.

One of my favorite recurring NPCs in 1E and 2E was a kenku fighter/thief/mage named Gabby. He was mute, and had to communicate through body language and mime. I drove my players nuts whenever they had to ask Gabby questions.

cthulhu_duck

First Post
sjmiller said:
Yup, I am sure. I pulled out my FF to check. I do not have it here at work, but I believe they have a 15" flight speed.

I had the book out the other night to review the 1E Kenku (due to another thread), and I remember their move as 6" / 18 ".

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I declared Kenku to be Lightweight and gave them a Climb bonus +8 and allow them to use gliders thus giving them a limited substitute for flight
The weight ratio means the gliders are not usable by the PCs

One of my favourite images is of Kenku swarming out from holes in a cliff face and then suddenly leaping out to glide in a mass black cloud to attack - The Birds! The Birds!

NB Flight is a skill imc that can be acquired via a feat (the skill not the ability to fly)

Pants

First Post
They were heavily modified for 3e.

I prefer their look and flavor for 3e and I've used them to great effect, but that's just me. :)

Wolv0rine

First Post
Kenku were always a sort of favorite of mine from 1E. They were just cute, and they clicked for me the first time I saw them.
Unfortunately, I hate the 3E art, and hate the new look regardless of the art. The new kenku have no personality to look at them, while the old kenku just... did somehow. At least for me.
*sigh*

Another case for "Use em how you want em".

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I always thought that the old kenku and tengu were somewhat redundant (which makes sense, since they're from the same root myth). So I was rather pleased when they got changed in the 3e MMIII, and I've used them as both adversaries and as a player character to great effect.

Besides, they look like the demon on the cover of The Stand. How can you hate that!?

Demiurge out.

Remove ads