Doctor Who getting canceled

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
More space travel, I hope.

RTD has done a lot of good things, but his Dr. Who has focused too much on Earth and not enough on alien worlds. I like Earth stories--modern, historical, future--but he's been far too conservative when it comes to alien worlds.

From what I've read (and apparently that's not alot), RTD believes that space stories aren't popular - and they are expensive to make. I find it a bit strange because my favorite episodes all tend to be space episodes (Impossible Planet/Satan Pit/42). Of course I could just be reading the wrong websites (as I did when I posted this :))

Nyarlathotep said:
From what I've read (and apparently that's not alot), RTD believes that space stories aren't popular - and they are expensive to make. I find it a bit strange because my favorite episodes all tend to be space episodes (Impossible Planet/Satan Pit/42). Of course I could just be reading the wrong websites (as I did when I posted this :))

See, I read it was purely a personal preference of RTD's. But of course, we all know how much faith to put in "something I read on the internet." ;)

Either way, I hope it changes.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I dunno, my favorite modern Who stories have both been based in London -- "School Reunion" and the one from the same season about the group that meets in the basement and studies the Doctor -- so he may be onto something. What I want from Dr. Who is sci-fi/fantasy with a lot of heart. The big cosmic stuff I can get elsewhere much better.

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I dunno, my favorite modern Who stories have both been based in London -- "School Reunion" and the one from the same season about the group that meets in the basement and studies the Doctor -- so he may be onto something. What I want from Dr. Who is sci-fi/fantasy with a lot of heart. The big cosmic stuff I can get elsewhere much better.

I agree about "School Reunion," though I wasn't fond of the other one you mention. But then, some of my other favorites include "The Impossible Planet" and "The Satan Pit."

I don't feel that "sci-fi/fantasy with a lot of heart" and "big cosmic stuff" are mutually exclusive. The old series all had a solid mix of both; I'd just like to get back to that.

JRR_Talking

First Post
also reported Martha may be axed as 'she isnt popular' . Dont have a link, another newsaper report

Personally I like Martha loads better than Rose.

Does seem odd to end it if its doing so well? I guess there is no phone in so they dont make money like 'celebrity' shows

Maybe Sky should threaten to buy the rights to Dr Who.

John

delericho

Legend
JRR_Talking said:
Does seem odd to end it if its doing so well? I guess there is no phone in so they dont make money like 'celebrity' shows

Doctor Who has been doing very well indeed, and in fact the success of DW is almost certainly responsible in part for the BBC doing other Saturday night shows of the sort (Robin Hood, the new Merlin series), because it has shown that there is a market for that sort of the thing, whereas the previous received wisdom was that Saturday TV was a wasteland where no-one watched anyway.

So, the Sun's report is almost certainly wrong. As I said above, the most likely outcome is that RD will resign, and be replaced by another showrunner. The only thing that might derail that is that is if RD and his entire team resign en-masse... but I very much doubt that that will happen, and even if it did the BBC could well replace everyone. Ultimately, the only people who aren't expendable are the actors playing the Doctor and his companion(s), who can be replaced one at a time, but are difficult to replace all at once.

As for Doctor Who not making money like the 'celebrity' phone-ins, I very much wonder if that's true. While in the short-term shows like DW are very expensive to make, and don't immediately recoup, they have a residual value in sales of DVDs, licensing to other networks, repeats, and so on (and the mere existence of the IP just has value). The phone-in shows basically have none of these - they're cheap fund-raisers for the networks, but once they're done they have no further value.

Maybe Sky should threaten to buy the rights to Dr Who.

I don't think they can. AFAIK, Doctor Who is wholly owned by the BBC. As such, it's theirs to do with as they see fit. That's one of the reasons it was off the air for so long.

Fast Learner

First Post
The Sun's story is not only almost certainly wrong, it is absolutely wrong. The BBC specifically announced that it was wrong, and that the show would continue past Davies' leaving. The Sun even ran the correction.

Also, Martha is my favorite companion ever, now. I can't fathom her being unpopular.

Fast Learner said:
Also, Martha is my favorite companion ever, now. I can't fathom her being unpopular.

That story (about Martha being axed) was debunked by the BBC the day after it was announced. So no worries on that score. :)

Felon

First Post
Nyarlathotep said:
For me, the whole point of watching Dr. Who is the "anything can happen this week" element. The Doctor doesn't actually make much use of the TARDIS as anything more than a mcguffin to get from one place to the next, so using it just to travel to different eras of Earth seems kind of a waste.

Remove ads