Doctor Who getting canceled

WayneLigon

Adventurer
From Outpost Gallifrey....

MediaGuardian.co.uk, the media news-focused section of The Guardian newspaper's website, has today run a story (subscription link) by reporter Ben Dowell speculating about the possible future of Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies.

The piece, in reponse to a story published in this morning's edition of the tabloid newspaper The Sun, contains a quote from an unnamed "BBC drama spokeswoman", stating that: "Discussions have not begun so we cannot say if Russell will be involved or not" with Doctor Who beyond the end of the fourth series in 2008.

However, the report specifically denies The Sun's story that Davies and other staff on the show have a plan to end the programme at the conclusion of the fourth series. MediaGuardian quotes another source, a similarly unnamed "senior BBC Wales drama source", as telling them that:

"Russell has always said that he wouldn't be with the show forever and he has made no secret that the hours are quite exhausting... But there isn't any way it would be axed even if he left. He loves the show and he does feel that maybe it would benefit from some new blood."

The MediaGuardian states that "if Mr Davies does leave Doctor Who, the BBC will want to keep such a popular show going by bringing in a new executive producer to take over his creative responsibilities."

delericho

Legend
You have to consider the source. The Sun is not exactly a bastion of quality reporting.

If Russell Davies wants to move on to other projects then good luck to him... but the BBC will just hire someone else to take over, and proceed from there.

Huw

First Post
delericho said:
You have to consider the source. The Sun is not exactly a bastion of quality reporting.

If Russell Davies wants to move on to other projects then good luck to him... but the BBC will just hire someone else to take over, and proceed from there.

Quite. Some say that the only thing the Sun gets right is the date. Anyway, I've a feeling that RTD's just going to bring his big Time War plot arc to an end next season, then move on to something new. So someone else will take over Doctor Who. It's happened quite a few times before.

Mallus

Legend
Put me down for 'hooray!' too, assuming it's true, and considering the source is The Sun, there's plenty of ass involved, figuratively and otherwise.

RTD's Doctor has been building to a climax, and it would be nice to actually see that, as opposed to the show just soldiering on without payoff. And I'm sure the BBC would bring the show back in few years, with much fanfare, seeing as they won't really end the show until England finally sinks under the sea.

Paraphrasing an email I sent to my buddies yesterday; "I can picture the ending now, the Doctor marrying Martha, and quite possibly Captain Jack, too, knowing RTD, in the New Panopticon on New Gallifrey, with all the surving Time Lords in attendence, miraculously rescued from whatever dank time-hole they were hiding in, with a 21 stalk-gun salute from a cadre of Reformed Daleks."

horacethegrey

First Post
Breathe of relief from this Who fan as well. :\ While I'll be sad to see RTD leave (if he really is after the fourth season), I wonder what changes a new producer will bring to the show.

horacethegrey said:
While I'll be sad to see RTD leave (if he really is after the fourth season), I wonder what changes a new producer will bring to the show.

More space travel, I hope.

RTD has done a lot of good things, but his Dr. Who has focused too much on Earth and not enough on alien worlds. I like Earth stories--modern, historical, future--but he's been far too conservative when it comes to alien worlds.

Remove ads