New Jobs

Solange

First Post
Velmont said:
I'm curious to know why a high level performer would do more gold than a high level merchant or craftman.
Because the SRD says so? Also, a craftsman can make items to sell and make extra money on those, if I understand right. As a trader class, you get to buy and sell stuff for cheaper, so you can make extra money that way.

Velmont said:
Don't forgot LEW is not the 20th century, where an artist can be known world wide and can earn money with there disc. A well paid performer will generally have a patron, who would be a noble or a guildmaster or a merchant house leader. So, a character with 20 rank in Perform would gain 80 silver, against 75 silvers for teh merchant. At that rank, I see the performer being the main artist of a royal court, paid by the king, where the merchant would be at the head of some merchant house... I would expect the later being more paid than the earlier (which can be the case if the merchant have the Trader PrC, he would gain 100 silver).
Trader makes up the discrepancy though. For Craftsmen, they get craft points and can still make stuff. A masterwork weapon sells for 300 plus gold, but only costs 100 plus to make. Sell that one week, even at a discount, and you've more than made up for the gap.

Velmont said:
And I don't like orsal idea of influence. A great craftman, merchant, guard would have as much influence than a performer. They might not reach the same people, but I feel that still coming from the view we have of performer in 20th century, where all the media help a lot the eprformers.
Not really. Some of the greatest composers of the Renaissance were extremely well paid and wealthy, much beyond guards, craftsmen, and merchants. Mozart is a good example.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Not really. Some of the greatest composers of the Renaissance were extremely well paid and wealthy, much beyond guards, craftsmen, and merchants. Mozart is a good example.

That is so blatantly untrue that it cracks me up! (even ignoring the Renaissance part, since Mozart was way after the Renaissance)

Article on Mozart said:
Mozart left Salzburg in 1781 to seek his fortune in Vienna. He married there in 1782. Mozart made his living performing and selling his compositions and giving music lessons. No longer a child prodigy he had difficulty earning sufficient income to support a family. He died in poverty in 1791.

orsal

LEW Judge
Velmont said:
And I don't like orsal idea of influence. A great craftman, merchant, guard would have as much influence than a performer. They might not reach the same people, but I feel that still coming from the view we have of performer in 20th century, where all the media help a lot the eprformers.

Nevertheless, I suspect that if Amati and Monteverdi were at a party together, it's Monteverdi who'd be the hit of the party. His fame would open more doors. I'm sure that there are people in this forum far more knowledgeable than I about 16th-17th century Europe; do correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Trouvere

Explorer
I think the latest thought is that Mozart's income was quite reasonable, due to opera commissions and subscription concerts (and his 800 florin sinecure duty-less appointment from 1787), but that his outgoings were much higher than they ought to have been, due to Constanze's illnesses, and his billiards and gambling, and foolish attempts to emulate the lifestyle of his aristocratic patrons. He was profligate not pauperate.

Howsoever, I've found the best way to earn extra cash from the Perform skill is to sidestep it entirely, write some awful doggerel, and extort donations from other RDI characters. :p

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Because I'm not a fan of the Job System. The SRD has Professions. Why did we add our own system in the first place?

Also, I think day jobs are for NPCs. PC's aren't the type to be tied down in a 9-to-5. And if they ARE that type... They can take the profession skill.

::shrug::

Velmont

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Because I'm not a fan of the Job System. The SRD has Professions. Why did we add our own system in the first place?

Also, I think day jobs are for NPCs. PC's aren't the type to be tied down in a 9-to-5. And if they ARE that type... They can take the profession skill.

::shrug::

With profession, you earn money with a profession check per week. Now, that bring two problems. First, time in LEW is very flexible, so it was needed to establish the RL time at which you can roll again (let's say 1 RL week). Second, rolls are fastidiuous for such things, so it needed to establish a rule that would prevent to have to log a lot of roll from IC. (Let's say, we take 10). As you earn half your roll in gold pieces, you end with:

PROFESSION
You are a skilled man earning his life in a profession.
Requirements: None
gp/week: 5 + 1/2 your rank in a profession skill

But at one time, someone found that it might be too much money, so it was decided to halves that earning...

PROFESSION
You are a skilled man earning his life in a profession.
Requirements: None
gp/week: 2.5 + 1/4 your rank in a profession skill

Funny, it is the same earning than the merchant without any special bonus... that's how the job system appear.

But what with Perform? That is more complicated, as the earning is not linear, the amount of gold is not even directly depedant of your skill level, it goes by steps.

And what about Craft? Someone can easily earn his life with Craft. Someone could spend all his craft points creating an item and selling them to uninterested market...

And what about Knowledge skills. Could someone earn his life as a sage?

Job system might sound a bit complicated to establish, but once it is establish, it is easier for the judges to follow the earning of each character with a job.

Remove ads