New Jobs

Solange

First Post
Wow, this got off topic fast...

I like the perform thing. The only class that absolutely needs perform is Bard, and they have plenty of their own problems.

Feel free to propose more jobs here though.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rae ArdGaoth said:
If we want all the professions to grant the same benefits, why not just make:

A Job
The character does something that others are willing to pay for. It can be anything. Anything at all.
Requirements: At least 4 ranks in any reasonably appropriate skill.
Pay/week: 25 silver + 25 Copper/bonus in relevant skill.
That's exactly like I'd prefer some variety.

I don't think some RP style bonus should be workable either. Being "noticed"? What benifit will that actualy have a character?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
That's exactly like I'd prefer some variety.

I don't think some RP style bonus should be workable either. Being "noticed"? What benifit will that actualy have a character?
But if you don't give out different rewards and everything is paid in GP, "different" just means one will be better.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
But if you don't give out different rewards and everything is paid in GP, "different" just means one will be better.
Oh, I understand. Different, for example, means crafters get extra craft points.

Perhaps healers could use the time to craft alchemical things at a reduced rate.

Scribes may get a slight discount on materials to scribe a scroll or spell.

Performers... well, a gold is probably the easiest for them.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Oh, I understand. Different, for example, means crafters get extra craft points.

Perhaps healers could use the time to craft alchemical things at a reduced rate.

Scribes may get a slight discount on materials to scribe a scroll or spell.

Performers... well, a gold is probably the easiest for them.
Gold is indeed probably easiest, but why does it have to be more than the other jobs who get nothing but gold?

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Gold is indeed probably easiest, but why does it have to be more than the other jobs who get nothing but gold?
Because bards suck? :uhoh:

I mean, because it's actualy written that way in the SRD?

orsal

LEW Judge
I've been thinking about the "getting noticed" factor for entertainers, and came up with this suggestion:

Special: For every four weeks spent in this job, the character gets +1 to all future Gather Information checks made in Orussus, up to a maximum of +5.

What do you think?

Oh, and regarding bards sucking: while I don't agree, it's irrelevant. There's nothing in the job system, nor should there be, restricting that job to characters with Bard levels. Rogues, Monks, and Human/Gnome/Halfling/Half-elf paragons can do the job on the same terms.

Rystil Arden

First Post
orsal said:
I've been thinking about the "getting noticed" factor for entertainers, and came up with this suggestion:

Special: For every four weeks spent in this job, the character gets +1 to all future Gather Information checks made in Orussus, up to a maximum of +5.

What do you think?

Oh, and regarding bards sucking: while I don't agree, it's irrelevant. There's nothing in the job system, nor should there be, restricting that job to characters with Bard levels. Rogues, Monks, and Human/Gnome/Halfling/Half-elf paragons can do the job on the same terms.
And Fighters....Ewww, remind me to mention how strongly I dislike that silly Perform(Gladiatorial) being separated out business :(

Solnath

First Post
I like that special. That is all, carry on, I'm back to thinking how to improve the Healer job. Would be easier if Reputation from Unearthed Arcana was used.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
orsal said:
I do like the idea, however I have two comments: 1st, I'm not sure I like the permanency of it. So what happens when the character completes 20 weeks of perform? His special benefit is gone, and his gain lasts forever. I suggest adding this:

"For every four weeks not spent in this job, the character loses one of the above mentioned +1 bonuses, until the character has a +0 bonus granted by this job."

2nd, if we give Perform a special, we should either nerf its income (compared to the other jobs), increase the other jobs' income, or come up with special perks for the other jobs. Rystil also has a point about the Job System essentially being a new, free use of already useful skills. Arguably, Perform is not that useful except for RPing or Bardic Music. Profession skills should be better than Job System skills.

Speaking of which, if my character has Profession (bartender), does he roll for income once per RL week, or once every two RL weeks? Can he take 10?

ADDENDUM: Perhaps a healer could get a bonus to all Diplomacy checks made in Orussus, with the same system as the performer's Gather Info bonus?

Remove ads