Seeking dry erase board with one-inch grid

Wolfspider

Explorer
I've been looking everywhere online for a dry erase white board that has already been marked with one-inch squares. As you can probably guess, I am going to use this as a map for my D&D3.5 games.

I've found plenty such boards online. The problem is that all of them have been magnetic (which I don't need) and are thus priced in the hundred of dollars.

Does anyone know where I can find a simple, non-magnetic dry erase board with a one-inch grid?

Thanks for your help!

smootrk

First Post
Get a blank white board, then use black pin-striping (tape) to apply a grid. A little work but you can save a lot this way... and if the tape wears, you can always redo periodically.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
smootrk said:
Get a blank white board, then use black pin-striping (tape) to apply a grid. A little work but you can save a lot this way... and if the tape wears, you can always redo periodically.

That's what I did a few years back. Ended up donating it to my (ex) group when I moved interstate. It was good working in an office store back then! :)

Wolfspider

Explorer
I've read about using tape and scoring a whiteboard with an exacto knife or other sharp instrument, but honestly I am not very crafty. I can barely draw a straight line honestly, which is why I'm looking for something pre-fab.

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep em coming!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
For about 15 bucks you can get a pad of 50 sheets of 24" x 36" paper with 1" grid on it from the local office store. I've found this to be a great solution in that you can prepare maps in advance if you want and also if the PC's ever revisit a location then you can just whip out that map again.

wolff96

First Post
The other option is to head down to your local hardware store and pick up a sheet of bathroom surfacing. The material works almost exactly like dry-erase and a big sheet *might* run as high as $10. Usually they're cheaper.

A T-square and an exacto knife (and a couple of hours of elbow grease) will produce a board of the exact dimensions you want.

I managed to procure an old table (6' x 4' approximately) from a garage sale and super-glued the bathroom-board to it. We now have a full-table whiteboard with a 1" grid.

Note on the bathroom-surfacing: Some markers will occasionally ghost just a bit. It's handy to keep a bathroom cleaner on hand for this -- cleaning once every couple of sessions will keep anything from being visible.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
el-remmen said:
Not a "board" but Tact-Tiles are superior to a board because of the modularity. . .
Too bad they've temporarily sold out for a long time.

I'd go with the easel pad, myself. You should be able to do better than $15 per pad, though. I think I paid less than $20 for a 2 pack of 24x30 1" grid pads a few years ago.

I've read about using tape and scoring a whiteboard with an exacto knife or other sharp instrument, but honestly I am not very crafty. I can barely draw a straight line honestly, which is why I'm looking for something pre-fab.

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep em coming!

How about one of the members of your gaming group? Can they manage a straight line?

Last edited:

Wolfspider

Explorer
francisca said:
Too bad they've temporarily sold out for a long time.

I'd go with the easel pad, myself. You should be able to do better than $15 per pad, though. I think I paid less than $20 for a 2 pack of 24x30 1" grid pads a few years ago.

How about one of the members of your gaming group? Can they manage a straight line?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've definitely got some options, it seems.

I like the idea of a big ol' pad of paper. It brings back good nostalgiac feelings of when I used to doodle maps on graph paper back in junior high. Is that what the gridded paper is called, easel paper? Hmmm.

I'll see if any of my players wants to try to grid my whiteboard. Certainly at least one of them should have a steady hand....

Keep the ideas coming!

Remove ads