Seeking dry erase board with one-inch grid

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I added a link. It's 24"x36".
I actually bought 2, one I stripped from the frame and use as a battlemat, the other is on the wall behind the DM for initiative and notes.
Here is the site again.

Wolfspider

Explorer
thalmin said:
I picked up a magnetic dry-erase board at Costco for about $20. While it didn't have a lined grid it did have a dot every inch (think of the dots at the corners of the square.) This board came with several markers, eraser, and bottle of cleaner. This board replaced my MegaMat about 2 years ago.
I just found the manufacturer's site.

Oooh this is very promising indeed!

So you have had no problems with people seeing the little dots? I can't really see them in the sample pics. Can you provide a picture of your own?

How hard was it to strip from the frame?

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

bytor4232

First Post
Here is my battle grid:

1. Get 50 sheet protectors
2. Go to your office supply store and get a giant pad of 1" graph paper
3. Cut paper into 8 x 22 pieces
4. Fold in half (two sided 8x11) and stick them in the sheet protectors
5. Store in a 3 ring binder

You will need a lot of them, because they don't erase easily. A whiteboard eraser and whiteboard cleaner cleans them pretty easily after every session. In a pinch, you can erase some of them with tissue if you run out.

In total, I spent less than 25 bucks on this, and even gave some of the sheets to the second DM in my group for his campaign. You can make an infinately sprawling dungeon pretty easily and cheaply with this method.

Tamlyn

Explorer
thalmin said:
I picked up a magnetic dry-erase board at Costco for about $20. While it didn't have a lined grid it did have a dot every inch (think of the dots at the corners of the square.) This board came with several markers, eraser, and bottle of cleaner. This board replaced my MegaMat about 2 years ago.
I just found the manufacturer's site.

I have a couple of these and they work like a charm. The little magnetic "push-pins" work great for miscellaneous markers. The dots are noticeable enough to easily draw in walls and other boundaries, but not so overwhelming that they distract or confuse.

Good luck!

Wolfspider

Explorer
Tamlyn said:
I have a couple of these and they work like a charm. The little magnetic "push-pins" work great for miscellaneous markers. The dots are noticeable enough to easily draw in walls and other boundaries, but not so overwhelming that they distract or confuse.

Good luck!

I'm really thinking that this board is the way to go, but my one concern is the dots. Are they noticable from a couple feet away so that my players will be able to eyeball ranges and such about as well as with the fully gridded squares?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Wolfspider said:
Oooh this is very promising indeed!

So you have had no problems with people seeing the little dots? I can't really see them in the sample pics. Can you provide a picture of your own?

How hard was it to strip from the frame?

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Stripping from the frame took just a couple minutes and a screwdriver. Actually, I then stripped the fiberboard backing off, but would not do it again. The board now has thousands of tiny dents in it from rolling the dice on it, but they don't interfere with sighting or cleanup or anything.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Another option: a White Board Calendar .

I got one from my local office supply store. It is 14" x 10.5" and pre-printed with one inch squares for the days of the month. It's not very big, only 7 squares by 5, but it's useful for small-scale tactical situations as well as quick drawings and initiative.

I also recommend the flip chart/easel/paper grid. I use colored markers on mine and have been able to pre-draw some elaborate geography in past campaigns.

Wolfspider

Explorer
thalmin said:
We have no trouble seeing the dots, but we all sit around the dining room table, and the light is good.

Well, I think I'll give it a try then, along with some of that easel grid paper stuff. :-D

Thanks for all your input!

Remove ads