Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Ch. 5, The Darkening Wood

Bobitron

Explorer
Herger, Starhl, Kaela, Ladriel, Cyz, and... Spiderman?!

[sblock] A gasp escaping her mouth unbidden, Kaela shudders at the sight. Clutching her stone tighter, she steps cautiously forward, a powerful spell of destruction playing on her lips.

"Things are worse than you might think, brave warrior." Her voice is gentle and firm despite her fear. "This spider that bit you. Is it here?"

Her eyes make solid contact with the elf's face, trusting in her companion's ability to spot any creature that might seek to ambush the Heroes. The young woman holds the stone even higher, attempting vainly to fight back the darkness that surrounds them.[/sblock]

Hrothgar

First Post
Herger, Starhl, Kaela, Ladriel, and Cyz.

OOC: Ack. I should have anticipated that, Bobitron. :p

[sblock]The twisted Elf's eyes squint in the soft green glow of Kaela's stone having not seen light in some time. His neck twists slightly to stare at Kaela, its very movement sending the Elf's features contorting in pain. No. I...I followed a small band of renegade Elves along a Forbidden Way. I was outmatched when found...so I ran to hide in this twisted wood. I found myself caught in this tangle, a sharp pain in my back, and I awoke to find myself here. The Elf swallows with a gasp. Thank Aryth you are here! My mind is going mad at the dark figures that move at the edges of my vision - spiders, and I swear, spiders who walk like men! Please, free me and spirit me from this awful place! And tell me how you came to find me. Is that Ladriel with you?[/sblock]

maddmic

Explorer

[sblock]Herger is speechless at the sight before them. He watches the spiders scurry away and grips his axe tighter. When Kaela begins speaking, he looks around, trying to ensure that they are not taken by surprise. At the mention of their elven guide he turns to Ladriel and in a hushed voice asks, "Do you know him?"

Waiting for her answer, the giant is unsure what to do next. He is pretty confident though that the elf is beyond saving and should probably be put out of his misery much like Valurel did just hours before. His skin continues to crawl with every passing second.[/sblock]

Hrothgar

First Post

[sblock] Wha...? Ladriel's nervous eyes drift from the darkness surrounding the Heroes to Herger. Her eyes follow the direction that Herger faces and she gasps, trying to stifle sobs. Elrith? I thought you died with the others of your band. Elrith's face contorts in pain and sadness. Dead? They did not escape the trees? Elrith begins to sob, his mind finally breaking under the strain of his situation. Damn them! They called down the forest on us! They used her! She was...unghhh. Elrith's half-face contorts in agony, as his belly distends, his skin straining to hold whatever crawls inside him. [/sblock]

Bobitron

Explorer

[sblock]"Elrith. I understand you are in pain, but I need you to be absolutely clear on this." Kaela again tries to make eye contact with the warped elf without flinching. "Who did they use? And how did they do it? Where have they gone?"[/sblock]

Hrothgar

First Post

[sblock]Elrith begins to writhe in pain. His eyes widen with fear as his own doom dawns upon him. Arghhh. I hurt...the pain won't... His belly distends again as he grimaces in pain. Licking his cracked lips, he looks feebly at Kaela. The old man...hit her. Beat her. The others...Elves...another human...went to stop him...but...they stopped when the trees awoke...tore into my fellow Hunters. The Elves opened the Forbidden Path...dropping them and me...here...in the Darkening...I fell...from up there... Elrith looks up only to scream in agony as his belly finally bursts, emptying a horde of tiny spiders glistening with viscera. Thrashing wildly, his body contorts a final time, and his head falls limply on his chest.

Starhl withdraws from the horrific scene, searching the howling wind for a trace of the scent of the wolf of Erethor. The wind is strong, quickly dispersing any scent. Starhl knows it was a fruitless exercise. As he lowers his head, at the edge of the green light of Kaela's stone, a sight comes into focus that makes his blood run cold. Spiders. Giant versions of those in the cold Northlands, mandibles clicking, black eyes glinting, fangs dripping venom. The haunters of Darkening Wood have come to greet their newbown children.[/sblock]

maddmic

Explorer

[sblock]Herger had an intense desire to smash as many of the small spiders as he could. Perhaps it was something from his childhood, only not as grisly as this instance. He looked around at the others. "Well then, I think that settles it. If the elves opened this way for the old man and Ailsinn, then we need to go back down this pathand to whatever is below. It is clear that they no longer travel above, from where we came."

He then sees Starhl. "What is wrong Starhl?"[/sblock]

Remove ads