Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Ch. 5, The Darkening Wood

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric, Valurel, Mardo, and the Wolf.

[sblock] "Oh, I learned my lesson, Ibor. I won't waste time talking with elves who commit acts worthy of the Shadow."

ooc: looks like this is going to combat (what a shock :) ) How far away are Fallax, Ibor and the elves? Do the elves have their bows drawn? Do we see Aislinn anywhere, perhaps upon the altar? [/sblock]

Bihlbo

Explorer
Mardo

[sblock]Mardo screams "No! I don't want to die! I didn't sign up for this!" as he drops the handles of his cart and bolts into the underbrush nearby.
[sblock=for Hrothgar]OOC: Bluff check +10. Mardo is actually moving around to become hidden and doesn't want the enemies to think of him as a threat until such time as he stabs someone. Hide check +15.[/sblock][/sblock]

maddmic

Explorer
Herger, Starhl, Kaela, Ladriel, and Cyz.

[sblock]Herger notices the light in the distance and his hopes rise slightly. His steps lighten as they near the illumination, yet he is still wary of their surroundings. He continues to watch for any spiders that might still be threatening them. [/sblock]

Hrothgar

First Post
Lodric, Valurel, Mardo, and the Wolf.

[sblock] OOC: Only one Elf still has a bow. They are thirty feet away.

Ibor scoffs as Mardo dives behind a stone and disappears amongst the dark foliage. Fallax however, is not so confident as he scans the woods behind Lodric and Valurel. Where is that lumbering oaf? The giant Northman? Looks like he didn't make it, eh? His nervous laugh is muted in the howling wind.

The Elves, however, stand forward, weapons drawn, but not raised. A female Caransil carries a knocked bow, her eyes steady and unyielding. A female Erunsil has two drawn fighting knives, her unwavering eyes locked on Valurel. The third Caransil is male, and his eyes are warm and friendly. He smiles and steps forward, My friends, I am Cerendil. There is no need for violence. We are all enemies of Shadow here. We are here at the behest of our Queen. Please, we are trying to save the girl, not harm her. He smiles again. The Erunsil then speaks. Go, Snow Brother. We should not draw blades against each other. If one of us falls here, our kind lose one more defender of Erethor.

The Wolf only growls. Lodric follows its gaze. There, in a nook near the top of the ruined stone column above the altar, almost twelve feet above the ground, sits a bundle of rags. Almost imperceptibly the rags move and a slim, bloodied arm and a shock of brown hair dangle from the ledge. Aislinn. [/sblock]

Herger, Starhl, Kaela, Ladriel, and Cyz.

[sblock] The excitement is palpable. At last free of the grasping swamp and horrors below, the ragged Heroes find hope surging in their breasts. Hustling through the ruins, the Heroes make for the source of the green light. Even Cyz smiles back at Kaela, any difference forgotten in this moment of hope. Starhl and Herger have their doubts, looking for spiders but finding none.

Rounding a pile of weathered rubble, the Heroes stop short in surprise. There, not more than thirty feet stand three Elves. And Ibor! And Fallax! Between them, an altar emanates a green luminescence. All have their backs turned to them as they face Lodric and Valurel further beyond. [/sblock]

Lodric and Valurel are struck with surprise as Herger, Starhl, Kaela, Cyz, and Ladriel stream through the ruins behind Ibor's group. Sensing the danger, the Erunsil female spits. Ambush! Cerendel's smile fades as he warns his companions, Protect the girl! For the Queen!

Weapons raise as the Battle for Aislinn begins...

OOC: I need actions posted. If your character is going to fight, I need attack bonuses, damage, feats, etc.

:]

maddmic

Explorer
Herger's hope rose as they neared the green glow. No spiders had met them, nor harassed them on their journey up the path. He wasn't sure what to expect once they got to the source of the glow, but it sure wasn't what was laid before them now.

Perhaps it was foolish, but an intense burning hatred welled up inside of him. The giant charged, one target in mind.

OOC:

Init = 1d20+2

Charging Fallax with Power attack +2

Charging Power Attack Greataxe +12 (3d6 + 13, x3) (+5 BAB, +5 St, +1 WF, +1 Dorn melee 2handed, -2 power attack, +2 charge, +2 dmg (weapon specialization), +7 damage (strength, x1.5 for 2-handed weapon), +4 damage (+2 from power attack x2 for 2-handed weapon))

Bihlbo

Explorer
Mardo is unseen on the battlefield.

[sblock=for Hrothgar]Mardo continues to move through the edge of the clearing, between the rubble of the ruins and the woods as much as he can, knowing the danger that lies within the foliage. Moving at only 20 ft./round (he's not going to take a hit to his MS&Hide checks to move more than half-speed) he's going to get part of the way around the group. Once he spots a place where he can't see many of the enemies, most likely due to the view being blocked by a piece of the ruins, he'll move in closer. His intent is to get as close as he can and sneak up on someone, possibly disarming them, as long as it doesn't keep him out of the fight for more than three or so rounds.[/sblock]

Valurel places a hand inside his tattered clothes and activates the mirror's power of increasing his strength. He then levels his icewood bow at the Erunsil female and fires with a feral cry of rage at the sight of Aislinn's slender and bloodied arm.

OOC:
Activate covenant item giving himself +2 to Strength, bringing him to an 18

+8 to hit with Icewood Bow
1d8+8 damage with increased Strength

Krug

Newshound
Starhl charges forward at the Erunsil female, sword ready. "Get away girl!" he shouts.

OOC:
To hit: +11 Damage: 2d6+7 19-20/x2

Hrothgar

First Post
With heated rapidity, the battle is joined by both sides with arcane spells and cold steel. Pausing to focus himself, Lodric envisions his attack slamming into a opponent. Unrelenting. Unstoppable.
OOC: Lodric casts true strike this round.

Any doubts that Valurel would attack a kinswoman are answered as his arrow slams into the Erunsil's thigh. The Elf's eyes grow wide at this apparent betrayal. Tears streaming down her cheeks, the Elf hesitates. Seeing Valurel attack an enemy sends Starhl bounding toward the Elf. With a heavy strike, his sword cuts deep into the Elf's back, spraying blood across the green-lighted ground. The Elf cries out, but her wicked knives slice into the big Northman. The Wolf bounds to the aid of Starhl, leaping onto the Elf's back and trying to sink its fangs deep.
OOC: Valurel hit the Erunsil with an arrow, Starhl with his sword. In return, Starhl takes 10 points of damage from the Elf's knives.

Herger is a juggernaut. An unstoppable mass of thews and sinew that crashes through the guard surrounding Fallax. With a sweep of his axe, Fallax tumbles through the air, his rags a bloody mess. Ibor retaliates with a cry of rage, his sword burying itself deeply in Herger's back. Rising painfully and slowly to a knee, his life hanging by a thread, Fallax begs for his life. "Please, Herger. I did it for Aislinn...For Aryth!" As Herger hesitates, the cunning creeps back into Fallax's eyes. With a wave of his hand, Herger again feels coldness settle on his limbs as his arms and legs become leaden.
OOC: Herger is being attacked by Ibor and takes 11 points of damage from Ibor's sword. Fallax cast a spell at Herger. I need a Will save for Herger!

Mardo can hear the battle from behind the stone ruins and foliage. His heart races at concern for his comrades. Slipping out of the foliage and behind a large stone block, Mardo peers around, seeing a perfect vantage of the battle.
OOC: Mardo has maneuvered himself into position so that he is about 20 feet from the battle.

The other two Elves join the battle. The Caransil sends to arrows streaking toward Valurel. One slips past his ear, the second slams into his shoulder.
OOC: Valurel takes 7 points of damage from the Caransil's arrow.

Cerendil, spying Kaela, does a deft movement with his hands, weaving the same arcane lines that Kaela uses. Four red points of light spring into being above his hand and streak toward Kaela. All four slam into Kaela, eliciting a cry of pain from the young witch.
OOC: Kaela takes 13 points of damage.

In the ruins, Ladriel drops to her knees, in obvious shock at seeing Elves fighting Elves and her disconnect from the Whisper. Dropping to a knee, Cyz seeks to help her. Ladriel waves her off. Something...coming. We should not be here... Ladriel's head hangs in confusion.

Last edited:

Remove ads