[IC] Underdogs [a core dnd game]

covaithe

Explorer
Assaq stops and waits until the others are within earshot for quiet conversation. "We should stop. No point meeting the gnolls when we're exhausted. Watch for caves or trees with low-hanging branches. If we don't find one soon, we can make a shelter, but no fire."

[sblock=ooc]I figure we'll go for another hour or so, looking for shelter, and then stop and build a lean-to of some kind if we haven't found anything by then. +7 search, +9 survival, if those are needed.[/sblock]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Mogro nods at Assaq's statement and then reaches down to rub the neck and mane of his horse. "You all right, boy? You hungry? I will give you some oats in a little while".

When the group finally stops for the night, Mogro quickly helps gather some wood for a fire, then goes through the task of brushing, feeding, and covering Champion for the night.

Autumn

First Post
"Agreed," Ershe concurs. "Best to be well-rested when the time comes to deal with the gnolls."

Lapsing back into silence he follows behind Assaq, keeping an eye out for a good camp site.

[sblock=OOC]Survival +12 if it's needed, or Perception +8.[/sblock]

doghead

thotd
ic - Underdogs

Day eases slowly over the valley, keeping its face hidden behind low hanging clouds of grey. The company reaches the river, and turns to follow it upstream, all the while keeping their eyes out for a good place to rest. It doesn't take long to find a suitable place; a rocky outcrop nestled in among a cluster of trees thick enough to have kept the ground mostly clear of snow. Its set back some 70 feet from the river, and would have passed unnoticed, or if noticed, un-remarked upon had it not been for Ershe's intuitive feel for the land.

Camp is soon made and a small fire lit. Mogro's horse is tethered and fed, but left saddled. Watches are set and those not required stretch out to get some rest, wrapped in a blanket if they have one. A broken old boulder provides whoever is on watch a reasonable view through the trees to the river as well as some cover and concealment.

Assaq takes first watch. He has barely settled into it when he hears, faintly but clearly, a voice, followed by another slightly angry response. Assaq recognises the language immediately. Goblin. Listening closely, he hears the faint sounds of something, probably armed or armoured by the occasional clink of metal on metal, approaching through the forest. The sound came from toward the river, but some way upstream of the small camp. Assaq can see about 90 feet through the trees, but so far he can see no signs of movement. But judging from what he can hear, they are close and closing.

Back near the campfire Ershe sits up as well. Unless Assaq is talking to himself, there is someone, or something, else out in the forest.

[sblock=ooc]Remember, anyone without the Endurance feat will have to remove medium armour to gain any benefit from rest. They may keep their padded under armour on (+1 AC).

Assaq and Ershe both made perception checks. Mogro didn't. Adokul sleeps.
Assaq can see nothing at this point. The characters can all see each other, and are all less than 10-15 feet from each other. It still snowing slightly.

I'm going to let you ghost Adokul on a first post, first served basis.

Initiative rolls please, as well as bonuses for any other checks required.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Autumn

First Post
Ershe blinks the sleep out of his eyes, the approaching noises still not entirely making sense.

At his side, Vashi raises her head and uncurls, beginning to slink through the shadows to investigate the threat.

[sblock=OOC]Initiative 1d20+0 = 11

Vashi moves stealthily towards the noise. Hide +8, Move Silently +8.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Stepping carefully to avoid noise, Assaq moves through the camp, shaking each sleeper in turn and cautioning them to silence, pointing towards the source of the noise. If there is time, he will help them into armor as well, still trying to be quiet about it.

[sblock=ooc]Initiative 1d20+2=3 Argh!
Stealth is at +8, and I hope your dice work better than mine.[/sblock]

doghead

thotd
ic - Underdogs

Round 1

Assaq slips quietly among his companions, waking them with a light shake.

With a low rumbling growl, Vashi slips into the forest.

A moment later a goblin mounted on a worg emerges from the trees some 90 feet away. The goblin carries a short bow on its lap. It is followed shortly by two more, one also carrying a short bow. The third goblin appears to have no weapon in hand. They ride in a loose triangle formation with about 10 feet between each. The three of them seem to be following the river downstream. On their current course, they will pass about 30 to 40 feet from the campsite.

So far, they seem to be completely unaware of the grel watching them.

[sblock=ooc]autumn, has ershe given vashi a command, or is the animal operating independently?

covaithe, Assaq's wolf?[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Assaq grasps his wolf by the scruff of the neck and whispers for it to stay close. He nocks an arrow to his bow and watches from the shadows. Goblins this close to the krel? I must have a word with our patrols when I get back to the village.

[sblock=ooc]I'm at a bit of an impasse here. What is the nature of the krel's relationship to goblins in general, and to whatever nearby goblin tribes there are in particular? Assaq has goblinoids as a favored enemy, so I assume there's at least fairly regular conflict, and that Assaq isn't too fond of them. But are they kill-on-sight enemies, or would violence be saved as a last resort? And how strange is it to see goblins here, less than a day's march from the krel? Is it commonplace, or would it be a reason for a call to arms?

I'm leaning towards attacking them first anyways, on the presumption that goblins have no legitimate business being here, but I might change my mind if it's normal for them to be here. [/sblock]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Mogro was having a fitful night's rest when he was woken up by Assaq. His eyes immediately come into focus and he sees the signal for silence. He quickly climbs to his feet and reaches for his bastardsword within it's scabbard. He tries to determine if he would have time to put his armor back on, but that kind of quick mental calculation is beyond the simple boy and he decides to go without. However, he does climb up onto the saddle of Champion so he can ride as need be.

Autumn

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Vashi is operating independently in defense of her master. She's not likely to launch a surprise attack or anything, but she'll be maneuvering to a position where she can spring unexpectedly on the goblins if they threaten the grell.

I'm likewise at a little bit of an impasse in need of more information. Particularly, does the krel have precautions against raiding parties of goblins? If we let these slip by, roughly how likely is it that they could cause serious damage? Are there farms and holdings outside the Falls that they could raid? And are they even headed towards the krel?[/sblock]

Remove ads