Constables of the 14th Ward

Fenris

Adventurer
"Uh, hey Moru, can shadows move on there own? Cuz I just saw one leave that pool over there and move to that wrecked furniture" warns Jonas

Lou

Explorer
Raul

Fenris said:
"Uh, hey Moru, can shadows move on there own? Cuz I just saw one leave that pool over there and move to that wrecked furniture" warns Jonas
Hearing Jonas' comment, Raul speaks up, "Wow, I saw that, too! So I wasn't imagining that?"

"Look alive folks! The shadows in here are alive!"

Leif

Adventurer
Shadows?

But, you see, the thing is that there are shadows everywhere in this room. In fact, the dim and diffuse light from the "fake skylights" in the ceiling is really not enough to see by, so all that it does is cast more shadows, in the corners, in the pools, near the divans (or what's left of some of them), near the altar, etc. The attached map is incomplete to reflect the dimness of the situation, but it will at least give you an idea of where you are.

Please Note that I made minor adjustments to the marching order to reflect the outcome of the spot checks (I switched Moru and Raul). The other choice was to move you all further into the room, but I thought you might prefer this way. Sorry?

Attachments

• In the Temple, players first map.xls
    20 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Lou

Explorer
Raul

"Let's advance slowly in a defensive posture. Wally, look watch carefully to your left. Something moved over there." advises Raul. Raul fingers his shuriken, ready to throw.

jkason

First Post
Moru Sen, human conjurer

Fenris said:

Moru frowns. "I'm going to say no, but there's all sorts of things that look like shadows. And I went and left my light spells untouched in my book."

The wizard draws a piece of cured leather from his spell component pouch as the others cautiously move forward. There's a brief shimmer in the air around him as he mumbles Sylvanopteran phrases, then it's seemingly gone. Moru, however, seems slightly more comforted as he holds his crossbow ready.

[sblock=OOC]Casting Mage Armor on himself[/sblock]

Helfdan

First Post
Alarion of Tovarre

The knight readies sword and shield as he walks forward with Darius. "Let us know if you see any more movement, my friends."

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=OOC]Please note that SoulFetter's new Vestige grants him Low Light Vision - if that helps . . .[/sblock]

SoulFetter advances into the room with his friends, his great axe at the ready.

Leif

Adventurer
The Altar

You approach the altar without further incident. The altar itself is a five-foot-high stone platform ten feet wide by fifteen feet long, with steps cut into the altar leading up to the top at the midpoints of the east and west sides (which only leaves about two-and-one-half feet of usable space on the top of the altar between the two sets of steps). The outer edges of the platform are festooned with a great many bas relief carvings that are richly and colorfully painted. Meda's symbol, a golden chalice, is a frequently recurring theme in the carvings. The scenes on the altar also show the harvesting of grain, threshing, kneading, baking, and feasting. These more domestic scenes are on the lower portions of the altar. As you look at these carvings and progress from the lowest upward, the character of the carvings seems to undergo a subtle change, and the "fertility" aspect of the Earth Mother takes on an entirely different meaning. By the time you get to the uppermost carvings near the top edge of the Altar platform, they are depicting, in vibrant color and great anatomical detail, some very involved and exquisite fertility rituals (many of which involve "threshing and kneading" of a completely different sort) performed by some bountifully-endowed priestesses of Meda who are assisted and serviced by their noble and dutiful priest counterparts, and all of whom, priest and priestess alike, are physically blessed quite beyond normal expectation. On top of the altar stand four stone pillars (each about three feet tall and two feet in diameter), two on the north half and two on the south half. Each pillar has a pair of chains attached near its top, and the chains end with bracelets. That is about all that you can tell without making a more detailed examination.

Wally gets a sly, almost wicked, grin on his face and says to Thea with another bawdy wink, "Those pictures give you any ideas, Sugar? Maybe you and I could demonstrate for the other constables?"

Last edited:

xedr

First Post
Darius growls [highlight]"Wally, shut up and attend to your duties as guide."[/highlight] Darius leads the group in a cautious detour around the left side of the altar and onward towards the exit in the far wall, his sword pointing the way.

Remove ads