Constables of the 14th Ward

pathfinderq1

First Post
Maeglin said:
“Perhaps you are right, Alarion,” Rahvin says, carefully inspecting the item without touching it. “Let us be wary of that opening in the wall, as well, lest there be more of those large rats.”

Moving warily, Thea made her way a bit closer- taking care to be sure of her footing, and to avoid the most obviously mucky spots. With a few quiet words, and a quick gesture, she called upon some of her simplest magics- first a small sphere of sorcerous light to assist her survey. After a quick scan of the nearby area, and another visual examination of the object, she called forth one of the most elementary arcane spells- allowing her to detect any magical emanations in the vicinity.

OOC (ALL): This is actually a couple of rounds worth of actions, so feel free to interrupt if appropriate.

OOC (Technical): [sblock]In order, round by round; Cast Light (SOR 0, lasts 10 minutes). Search (with Trapfinding class feature) +10, roll 21 (not 22- I mistyped the modifier, +10, not +11) http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1155713; Cast Detect Magic (BEG 0, lasts up to 4 minutes), scan the object first, then surrounding area[/sblock]

xedr

First Post
Hearing the sound of the manhole cover being closed, Darius protests. [highlight] "Wait a minute folks, we're not prepared to spelunking, or at least I'm not. Teddy's long gone by now. Let's just find what clues we can and get on with our search for the mapmaker. Other than this funny business with the rats, Teddy's just wanted for planting weeds, so it's not like he's an imminent threat to the city or anything."[/highlight] And in an aside to Alarion [highlight] "Unless you think Teddy has a hidey-hole down here (which seems unlikely since he knew we were following him) there would be no reason to leave other traps. But what do we know, we're just the muscle of this outfit, right?" [/highlight] While speaking, Darius attempts to find a position that allows him to peek through the grate into the alley above. [sblock=OOC]Spot check (1d20+4=16) and Balance check (1d20+1=13) while attempting to see through the grate [/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Into the depths.

The sewer is dark, but now fairly well lighted. It is damp, low and cramped. You soon discover that a widelegged stance with feet near the walls allows you to avoid the worst of the muck and make it less likely that you will fall.

The hole in the wall is about three feet in diameter and roughly circular. It is near the top of the sewer tunnel with the bottom of the hole about 4' off the floor. A low warren exists in the damp dirt beyond the brick wall. It is only about three feet high and will require one to crawl. Nothing but dirt is visible at this point.

The foot prints go from the hole in the wall back to the ladder and are older as the mud has dried.

Darius can see that little has changed in the alley. Bocephus is trying to bundle up a couple of the rats while constables are otherwise keeping the alley clear.

The object on the floor does not appear to be trapped, but thea does note some magical imination from within. She is unable to determine the type. After a careful search by both Rahvin and Thea they conclude it is a book or folio of some sort with a leather thong tied around it. Their examination of the area around the object also reveals a fresh skid mark in the muck just filling with the slow moving flow suggesting someone slipped here just moments ago.

OOC: [sblock=Everybody]I put everyone down in the sewer and tried to place you more or less in the marching order suggested. Feel free to tell me your character would like to be somewhere else. Given Thea's actions most of you have been down here for 2 to 4 rounds. I'm further assuming that you are sharing information about what has been seen at the hole and the object with those further back in the ranks.[/sblock]

OOC: [sblock=Soulfetter]The tunnel is shorter than Soulfetter and so he will have to walk about hunched over. I put him at the juction for now where it is a little less cramped. [/sblock]

Actions? Did I fail to address any actions?

Attachments

• Sewers.xls
    14 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Moru Sen, human conjurer

Scotley said:
The object on the floor does not appear to be trapped, but thea does note some magical imination from within. She is unable to determine the type. After a careful search by both Rahvin and Thea they conclude it is a book or folio of some sort with a leather thong tied around it. Their examination of the area around the object also reveals a fresh skid mark in the muck just filling with the slow moving flow suggesting someone slipped here just moments ago.

Moru slides his truncheon into his belt holster, readying his crossbow instead. "Sounds like our boy dropped something on the run," he offers up. Nodding toward the warren, he says, "I'm curious about who came out that way, but if we're really after Teddy, I'd say that should wait. Or do we just want to grab the book and go? Want me to have a look, Thea?"

[sblock=OOC]Can you use Aid Another with Spellcraft checks using Detect Magic? Just a thought.[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
jkason said:
[sblock=OOC]Can you use Aid Another with Spellcraft checks using Detect Magic? Just a thought.[/sblock]

OOC: [sblock=Moru]I'd allow it only if both were using detect magic. I don't think Moru would have enough information to help without seeing the aura's. In this case the magic is within another item, so I decided that while you can detect that something is there, it can't be seen well enough to ID it just yet. :] [/sblock]

Lou

Explorer
Raul in sewer 1

[sblock=OOC musing]So the spellcaster dropped his spell book (just a wild guess ;)) as he fled? He'll be back for that! :] [/sblock]

It dawns on Raul,"I'm in a dungeon, uhh tunnel, uhh sewer without a light source.... I wonder what sewer-gunk does to magic boots?"

Raul will move to Soulfetter and whisper,"You got a light? We should scout these tunnels behind us to prevent surprises from this way. No point in being the rear guard that let its guard down. How about I take a 30-step scout-ahead in each of these three passages? You can be my anchor point for relaying messages."

[sblock=plan]How much can Raul see at the junction (without a light) headed away from the group? Raul wants to slowly move 30 feet left and back to Soulfetter, 30 feet up and back, and then 30 feet right and back, searching for anything of note, preferably with a light of some kind unless there is enough light for the half-elf to use.

[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
OOC: [sblock=Raul and Soulfetter]Without a light source you can only get shadowy illumination out about 5' as Soulfetter closed the manhole cover and his rather large presence in the intersection is blocking just about all the light from light spells and the bullseye lantern (which is pointed the other way). Indeed it is no longer possible to see the tunnel walls previously noted on the map. For example, if there were a dragon 10' down the passage you won't see him until he breaths fire on you. Oh and the chance of slipping and fallen in the muck will go up if you can't see where you are stepping![/sblock]

xedr

First Post
"I wonder what Bocephus wants with those rats?" Darius wonders. Already unsteady due to the sewer stink, Darius's stomach lurches emphatically as it dawns on him that Bocephus plans to have the rats for dinner. "Now that's just gross!" he gags.

If Rahvin/Thea/Alarion show signs of going in pursuit of Teddy, Darius will go with them. Otherwise, Darius swallows firmly and says "I'm willing to crawl the warren if somebody casts a light spell on my sword"

Last edited:

Helfdan

First Post
Alarion

"Jonas or Andrew... mayhap you should light a torch nd take a look within that hole next to you." As he speaks, Alarion pulls a torch from his own pack and strikes his flint and steel to light it. "Let us take a look at this book of yours, Lady Amalthea."

Scotley

Hero
The Thornapple Manifesto

On the sewer floor partially immersed in filth is a small folio roughly 8x12 inches and perhaps an inch and a half thick. On closer examination it is natural buckskin over wooden backing held closed by a simple leather thong. The parchment pages are sodden and the ink has run on many pages. On the inside of the front cover are two pockets one contains three small lumps and the other contains a bulky soft substance. It will be necessary to slip a finger or similar sized object inside the pockets to remove the contents. Inside the back cover is are some loose sheets of quality vellum scribed with runes in a good ink which has not run. They are the source of magic within the book. The rest of the book is parchment pages, about two-thirds of which have been written on. The text appears to be part parable, part diary and part diatribe. It is headed--The wise owl's observations. The focus seems to be on the evils of the city, whether Lauralie Summerhome specifically or cities in general seems unclear. The villains--'Dark Wizards', 'The Corruptors' and 'The Oppressors' seem to be used interchangeably. The stories focus on the characters of the Owl, the Rat, the Chameleons, the Fox or Reynard, and the Mastiff. Sometimes it seems as if these are animals and at other times humanoids. The writer appears to make no distinction. The writer repeatedly calls for the destruction of the City and a return to the natural order. He seems to have several schemes aimed at bringing in the forces of nature to make the city uninhabitable by the weak humanoids who have turned their back on nature. One plot seems to revolve around planting various powerful monstrous plants in the Forest of Towers--at place for which the writer seems to have a particular loathing.

Last edited:

Remove ads