Kobold Quarterly: Issue 1

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Just got issue 1 of Kobold Quarterly: A tiny little journal of Kobolds and Dragons in my email.

Other subscribers, what do you think?

No reactions from me yet, but I do have the contents:

Editorial:
Small but Fierce

Ecology:
Ecology of the Derro by Wolfgang Baur. The laughing little dwarves are not your friends.

Charts and Graphs:
Underdark Monster Table

Princes of Hell:
Titivillus, the Scribe of Hell by Wolfgang Baur. More evil is wrought with the pen than with the sword.

Dungeon Design:
It’s Not (Always) the Gold by Wolfgang Baur.

Kobold Diplomacy:
An Interview with Erik Mona. A few words from the Paizo archmage.

The Kobold FAQ

Flashing Blades:
The Ups and Downs of Tripping Attacks. by Sigfried Trent

Cartoons:
10’ by 10’ Toon by Stan!
Bolt & Quiver by Stan!

Bestiary:
The Far Darrig by Scott Gable

Free City of Zobeck:
Steam & Sorcery by Wolfgang Baur

Ryltar

First Post
Thus far, I've only browsed the contents, but I like what I've seen :). Especially the continuation of the Ecology articles is a very nice touch. Also, the Erik Mona interview is a gem.

My only (minor) gripe so far: I'd very much like to be able to download a high-resolution pdf, in order to print it out if I want to. The graphics and some of the fonts in the low-res version are somewhat blurry and pixelated. Now, I realize, that's much to ask - I guess that it'd be a problem to ensure only subscribers get access to that file.

Glyfair

Explorer
Plus, the almost mandatory next issue blurb:

Belphegor, Baron of Hell
by Tim Hitchcock
The arch-devil of laziness and invention offers up his secrets.

Ecology of the Barghest
by Nicolas Logue
Is it a goblin or is it a worg? It’s both and it’s hungry.

Create Better Characters
by Sigfried Trent
How to set up your PC to be the life of the party, and other character-generation
tips and tricks.

Clockwork Magic
What makes Zobeck tick? We reveal a few finely-wrought details of this rare form
of magic.

Plus quite likely articles by Ed Greenwood and Keith Baker — if only they don’t
escape from our the mines! Seriously, if we knew which big-name submissions
would arrive at our ore smelter for the Fall issue, we’d tell you. But it’s a mystery.

Nlogue

First Post
I just read through my copy and it rocks out!!! I love the interview - great insight into a great D&D publishing mind! The Princes of Hell series is shaping up to be an incredible source of brand new iconic evil masterminds to spice up the oldie-but-goodie mix of demon lords and the more well known archdevils...love the scribe!!! The Ecology of the Derro was EXTENSIVE! And awesome! In fact I'm going back and reworking my Eco of the Barghest to include more and different fun stuff based on Wolf's model with his first in the series! Love the flavor text in the beginning of the article especially - crazy crazy derros! So far KQ is a home run, and you simply cannot beat the price. Well done Wolfgang!

Nick

bento

Explorer
For those of us who passed on subscribing but would now like to take a look at it, could y'all post a link to Wolfgang's web site?

Thanks!

Erekose13

Explorer
Got mine :) Haven't had time to read it yet, but looks really solid. I'm excited to read the Steam and Sorcery article as I was pushing for the Zobeck open design.

The back issues info in the small print say they will be available at either www.wolfgangbaur.com or paizo.com, but I just checked and they aren't there yet.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Got mine too! I've only read the excellent Erik Mona interview and the article on tripping so far but the zine looks good and was very reasonably priced. Highly recommended!

Cheers

Richard

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Erekose13 said:
The back issues info in the small print say they will be available at either www.wolfgangbaur.com or paizo.com, but I just checked and they aren't there yet.

Well, it's only been out about an hour and a half. They don't become back issues until they're, say, three days old...

Remove ads