Converting Psionic Creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmmm...

A Sugo will attempt to attach its suckers to several adventurers (each requires a successful “to hit” roll) and suck their flesh away. The Sugo will do 1-4 pts. damage per round, and will only remove its sucker if the victim is killed or if the tentacle is chopped off.

Yeah, that does sound kind of like a touch attack/attach mechanic. I'm tentatively for the attach version, but I'll let you guys sort that out, though. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

We should probably revise the attach mechanic so each tentacle is essentially it's own "stirge". Can anyone think of a precedent for this?

Should we give it a swim speed, since it lives along the Styx? If so, how much?

freyar

Can't think of a precedent, but it should probably work. Kind of like octopus tentacles can each grapple. Odd combination, but it seems ok.

I vote for a swim speed, but only 20 or 30 ft.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's something from the Fiend Folio that might help...

Attach (Ex): If an ironmaw hits with a tendril attack, the tendril, in addition to dealing normal damage, attaches to the opponent's body. A tendril draws a stuck opponent 10 feet closer in each subsequent round (no attack of opportunity) unless the opponent breaks free, which requires an Escape Artist check (DC 25) or a Strength check (DC 26). An ironmaw can draw in a creature within 15 feet of itself and bite with a +4 attack bonus in that round. An ironmaw can draw a creature into its space and attempt to engulf it as well.

A tendril can be severed by a single attack with a slashing weapon (made as an attempt to sunder a weapon) dealing at least 13 points of damage.

Tendrils (Ex): An ironmaw can attack with its four tendrils from up to 60 feet away. Anyone struck by a tendril takes damage, loses blood, may suffer illness, and risks being drawn toward the ironmaw's trunk.

freyar

Wow, you're good at finding those special abilities. Yes, that's probably exactly what we want, with appropriate name and additional ability changes.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm unsure where the 13 hp damage to sever came from--it appears arbitrary.

Adapting for our purposes...

Attach (Ex): If a sugo hits with a sucker-tentacle attack, the sucker-tentacles, in addition to dealing normal damage, attaches to the opponent's body. A sucker-tentacle can be severed by a single attack with a slashing weapon (made as an attempt to sunder a weapon) dealing at least x points of damage.

Blood Drain (Ex): A sugo drains blood in any round when it begins its turn with at least one sucker-tentacle attached to a victim. This blood drain deals 1dx points of Constitution damage per sucker-tentacle attached. Once it has dealt x points of Constitution damage, it detaches and slithers off to digest the meal. If its victim dies before the sugo's appetite has been sated, the sugo detaches and seeks a new target.

freyar

The sugos don't seem to "get full" according to the original text, so let's just chop the bit about slithering off to digest.

10 hp damage to sever? 16 since it's 1/10 of the sugo's hp? Is the damage or half the damage dealt to the sugo?

1d3 Con per tentacle?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

For the psionics, its power level is 3/4 of that of an intellect devourer. In 3.5, intellect devourers have psi-like abilities with a manifester level of 7th. They have a few powers beyond those that were attack/defense modes in 1e.

I'd propose adding a few additional powers that fit its theme, and setting manifester level to 5th or 6th. Thoughts?

Remove ads