Converting Psionic Creatures

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Space/Reach: 30 ft./0 ft.?

We still need to develop "use internal magic items" and the amount of resistance to cold.

The big question is does it retain normal magic item slot limitations? I'm thinking it probably would.

Something like.

Internalise Magic Items (Su): A flard can use magic items in its internal cavity, except it cannot wield melee weapons or ranged weapons. For exampleIf its cavity contained a ring of invisibility and wand of fear, it could turn itself invisible as if it was wearing the ring and cast fear in any direction as if it was using the wand. Its magic item use is subject to the normal magic item slot limitations.

The cold resistance should be something hefty, like 25, 30 or so.

The "turned back" attacks sounds a bit like a targeted form of the jovoc's Aura of Retribution...

Aura of Retribution (Su): This effect is always active in a 30-foot-spread centered on the jovoc. Whenever the creature takes damage from any source, every non-tanar'ri within the area immediately takes an equal amount of damage. A successful Fortitude saving throw (DC 15) halves the damage. (For example, if an opponent deals 12 points of damage to a jovoc, the opponent and every other nontanar'ri within 30 feet also immediately takes 12 points of damage each, or 6 points with a successful Fortitude save). Regardless of the source of the damage to the jovoc, the damage dealt to nontanar'ri by this effect is not subject to negation or reduction because of resistance, immunity, damage reduction, spell resistance, or the like. The save DC is Constitution-based.

I was thinking more a "reflect damage to the attacker power", otherwise they'd just stand outside 30 feet and wail away.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The big question is does it retain normal magic item slot limitations? I'm thinking it probably would.

Agreed.

Revising...

Internalise Magic Items (Su): A flard can use magic items in its internal cavity. It treats any item that can be worn as worn, and is still limited to the normal limitations (1 amulet, two rings, etc.). However, it cannot wield melee weapons or ranged weapons. For example, a flard holding a ring of invisibility and wand of fear in its cavity could turn itself invisible as if wearing the ring and cast fear in any direction as if holding the wand.

The cold resistance should be something hefty, like 25, 30 or so.

Most of the abominations have 20, so I could see sticking with that amount or going to 30.

I was thinking more a "reflect damage to the attacker power", otherwise they'd just stand outside 30 feet and wail away.

Sounds good. Here's a stab at it...

Reflect Attacks (Su): Any melee or ranged attack targeting a dormant flard is reflected back upon its attacker. An attacker makes its attack as normal, determining damage as if it had hit the flard (including the flard's damage reduction). Any leftover damage is immediately dealt to the attacker, as if he or she had been struck by the weapon. Spells directed at the flard are reflected back upon their caster, as if the flard were under the effects of a spell turning spell with no level limits.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed.

Revising...

Internalise Magic Items (Su): A flard can use magic items in its internal cavity. It treats any item that can be worn as worn, and is still limited to the normal limitations (1 amulet, two rings, etc.). However, it cannot wield melee weapons or ranged weapons. For example, a flard holding a ring of invisibility and wand of fear in its cavity could turn itself invisible as if wearing the ring and cast fear in any direction as if holding the wand.

That's much better than my rough draft.

We need to have some statement as to capacity of its internal cavity somewhere and how it works.

Do we want to make it a SQ?

Internal Storage (Ex):

Hmm, we're probably better combining that with the "Internalise Magic Items" SQ.
Internalise Items (Ex): A flard has an internal cavity it uses to store its treasure and magical items. The cavity has a volume of X cubic feet and can contain a weight up to the flard's medium encumbrance limit. Normally this storage space is surrounded by seamless wall on all sides, but it can open or close this cavity as a free action. It can put an item into this cavity as a [move? or swift?] action (including opening and closing the cavity) or expel it with a [move? or swift?] action.

Flards never put creatures into their internal cavity, so they won't try to hide allies or trap enemies in this storage space.

A flard can use magic items in its internal cavity. It treats any item that can be worn as worn, but is still limited to the normal limitations (1 amulet, two rings, etc.). However, it cannot wield melee weapons or ranged weapons. For example, a flard holding a ring of invisibility and wand of fear in its cavity could turn itself invisible as if wearing the ring and cast
fear in any direction as if holding the wand.
What do you think?

Most of the abominations have 20, so I could see sticking with that amount or going to 30.

Sounds good. Here's a stab at it...

Reflect Attacks (Su): Any melee or ranged attack targeting a dormant flard is reflected back upon its attacker. An attacker makes its attack as normal, determining damage as if it had hit the flard (including the flard's damage reduction). Any leftover damage is immediately dealt to the attacker, as if he or she had been struck by the weapon. Spells directed at the flard are reflected back upon their caster, as if the flard were under the effects of a spell turning spell with no level limits.

Looks fine to me.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Reflect Attacks and Internalize (note Brit-American spelling divide!) Items are both looking good. Since we're keeping the item slot limitations, we could swap a feat out for Additional Magic Item Slot if we wish.

Cleon

Legend
Reflect Attacks and Internalize (note Brit-American spelling divide!) Items are both looking good. Since we're keeping the item slot limitations, we could swap a feat out for Additional Magic Item Slot if we wish.

So move or swift action to switch an item from its cavity? I'm thinking move, same as drawing a weapon or readying a shield.

Hmm... maybe let them do it as a swift action if they have the Quick Draw feat?

I wouldn't bother about the Additional Magic Item Space feat.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Move action, since I'm not sure they should really be dealing with that in combat. I wouldn't particularly bother with how Quick Draw works for that, but it doesn't much matter to me.

Cleon

Legend
Move's fine by me. Updated.

Do we need an ability writeup for its dormant state, or just a sentence or two in tactics?

It doesn't seem to require any SQ writeup. Constructs don't sleep, so a dormant Flard is probably fully aware of its surroundings and just waiting for someone to "say the magic word" which allows them a question.

Something like...

Combat
Flards spend most of their existence in a dormant state in which they reflect any attacks made against them back at their source. A dormant flard is fully aware of its surrounding but can not speak or take any action until it wakes. Flards only awaken to answer questions or defend themselves after taking damage.

A flard's godlike intelligence and clairsentient powers usually ensure that it understands all the powers of any creature it encounters and allow it to read their intentions before they know them themselves. They can always chose the most effective tactic among the powers and items at their disposal.

Remove ads