Converting Psionic Creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Treasure: No coins; no goods; double items?

Advancement: 37+ HD (Colossal)?

Flards speak all languages?

Internalize Items (Ex): A flard has an internal cavity it uses to store its treasure and magical items. The cavity has a volume of X cubic feet...

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Treasure: No coins; no goods; double items?

That doesn't seem to match the original's A*5 Treasure very well:

Type A:
1-6 1,000s of copper pieces: 25%
1-6 1,000s of silver pieces: 30%
1-6 1,000s of electrum pieces: 35%
1-10 1,000s of gold pieces: 40%
1-4 100s of platinum pieces: 25%
4-40 gems: 60%
3-30 jewelry: 50%
Maps or Magic Items: Any 3: 30%

Five times that is up to 50,000 gp, 200 gems and 15 magic items!

Triple standard seems a better fit.

Advancement: 37+ HD (Colossal)?

Flards speak all languages?

Those are both fine.

Internalize Items (Ex): A flard has an internal cavity it uses to store its treasure and magical items. The cavity has a volume of X cubic feet...

A standard Flard's cavity can store about half a ton (1056 pounds to be precise), so I'd suggest 150 cubic feet, the same volume as a 1000-lb bag of holding.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
It's odd to think they'd have any use for money, but c'est la vie!

Updated.

Now for the hard parts...

Challenge Rating: x

Dragons with 20d6 breath weapons are in the CR 21-23 range. Granted, this fella is immobile, but has greater defenses and can use its breath weapon every round.

And assuming it's worth the effort...

Non-Psionic Flards
If you do not use psionics in your campaign, make the following changes:

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—x. Caster level xth. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Cleon

Legend
It's odd to think they'd have any use for money, but c'est la vie!

Updated.

Now for the hard parts...

Challenge Rating: x

Dragons with 20d6 breath weapons are in the CR 21-23 range. Granted, this fella is immobile, but has greater defenses and can use its breath weapon every round.

Tricky.

A lot of its manifestation ability are not that useful in combat, and its AC and PR is none to good.

Challenge Rating 20?

And assuming it's worth the effort...

Non-Psionic Flards
If you do not use psionics in your campaign, make the following changes:

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—x. Caster level xth. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

How about this for a selection. They're not exact matches, and they're a bit more combat-based than the psionic version but there's the best I could whip up under short notice:

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—clairaudience/clairvoyance, feeblemind, globe of invulnerability, greater arcane sight, identify, locate creature, locate object, mass charm monster, mind fog, nondetection, ray of enfeeblement, true seeing; 3/day—contact other plane, quickened eyebite, greater scrying, mind blank, polar ray, spell turning, symbol of stunning, telekinesis; 1/day—crushing hand, discern location, foresight, legend lore, protection from spells; 1/weekwish (only used to grant knowledge). Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Its Psionic Feats, Greater Power Penetration, Power Penetration, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (second chance), also need to change to the spell equivalents - Greater Spell Penetration, Spell Penetration, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (eyebite).

Shade

Monster Junkie
CR 20 might suffice.

Hmm...while that list is attractive, I fear the non-psionic version will need a higher CR. Polar ray is a wickedly deadly spell!

Cleon

Legend
Could we change that one SLA out or else give the psionic version something a little more "offensive"?

I was trying to find something to substitute for the psionic version's mind thrust, which is a DC30 Close-Range single target attack doing 20d10 damage.

That's a Will-negates rather than a no-save attack like polar ray, but the Psionic Flard can mind thrust at will and it does more damage!

I thought giving it a 3/day polar ray offered a reasonable match, as it'd be 20d6 damage and is stymied by cold resistance, which PC opponents are likely to have ready once they hear of the Flard's cone of cold attack (which does the same damage as its polar ray remember, but with Save-for-Half).

Anyhow, if you can think of a better match for that mind thrust I'd ge happy to go for it.

Cleon

Legend
Well, if you can convince Shade, it's fine with me to keep it as is. ;)

Well maybe I will, maybe I won't.

It doesn't bother me that much, I wasn't that fond of that 20d10 psionic attack in the first place so I'd be fine with any reasonable alternative.

Remove ads