Converting Psionic Creatures

Cleon

Legend
Those first 5 words make me curious. What ability lets it go ethereal of the ones listed? Or are we supposed to give it an ethereal jaunt type ability?

Good point.

I like the idea of giving it ethereal jaunt. Maybe its schtick is hanging around in the ether watching mortals, and when it sees them doing something naughty it pops into materiality to stop them, crying out "Halt Evildoers!"

Shade

Monster Junkie
Ethereal jaunt sounds good! In fact, the shedu has it:

Ethereal Jaunt (Su): A shedu can shift from the Ethereal Plane to the Material Plane as a free action, and shift back again as a move action. This ability is otherwise identical with ethereal jaunt (caster level 15th).

The shedu also has this:

Depart (Su): Once per week, a shedu may cast astral projection (caster level 18th). The ability affects only the shedu.

Attack/Defense modes: B, C, D/all

Body Equilibrium, Empathy, Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions, Mind Bar, and Telepathy.

Summarizing...

Ego Whip (2nd, save)
Empty Mind (1st, no save)
Id Insinuation (2nd, save)
Intellect Fortress (4th, no save)
Mind Thrust (1st, save)
Mental Barrier (3rd, no save)
Thought Shield (2nd, no save)
Tower of Iron Will (5th, save [harmless])
Personal Mind Blank (6th, no save)
Body Equilibrium (2nd, no save)
Empathy (1st, no save)
Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions (2nd, no save)

For telepathy, I'd suggest we simply give 'em telepathy 60 ft. on the SQ line.

We'll need to figure out usage intervals for the rest.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Not sure that I'd add astral projection to these.

The usual telepathy SQ works for me.

How about at will for the 1st level powers, 3/day for the 2nd-4th level, and 1/day for the rest?

Cleon

Legend
Not sure that I'd add astral projection to these.

The usual telepathy SQ works for me.

How about at will for the 1st level powers, 3/day for the 2nd-4th level, and 1/day for the rest?

I'd like to keep the astral departure, since they probably hobnob with the upper planes folk like Shedu and Lammasu do. It doesn't make much difference to their behaviour in combat, since they can more easily "bug out" with ethereal jaunt.

The frequencies of the PLAs sound good.

Max out Concentration, Diplomacy, Sense Motive and split the rest between Listen and Spot?

The text has "They often act as guards or minions for nobles of lawful good alignment" which suggests a couple of points in Knowledge (nobility and royalty) might be in order.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Astral travel isn't a biggie for me, but I would like to point out that a standard lammasu doesn't have any inherent way to get to the upper planes. ;) They'd need to get some more casting levels first.

How about ranks of Concentration 9, Diplomacy 9, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 3, Listen 3, Sense Motive 9, Spot 3?

Cleon

Legend
Astral travel isn't a biggie for me, but I would like to point out that a standard lammasu doesn't have any inherent way to get to the upper planes. ;) They'd need to get some more casting levels first.

Alternatively, we could do a "Standard Narra" and a "Greater Narra" like 2E had a standard Shedu and a Greater Shedu.

That way we could give the Greater Narra the more potent abilities (including the 3/day heal that one version of the AD&D Narra had).

How about ranks of Concentration 9, Diplomacy 9, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 3, Listen 3, Sense Motive 9, Spot 3?

Hmm, I'd either cut Diplomacy to 5 and increase Listen and Spot by 2 apiece or give it a racial bonus in those sense skills.

Remove ads