Converting Psionic Creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Alternatively, we could do a "Standard Narra" and a "Greater Narra" like 2E had a standard Shedu and a Greater Shedu.

That way we could give the Greater Narra the more potent abilities (including the 3/day heal that one version of the AD&D Narra had).

I'm not opposed to two versions, but don't absolutely feel it's needed. They could always take spellcasting classes like the lammasu. Which version had heal?

I do agree that we'll need a non-psionic underbar.

Hmm, I'd either cut Diplomacy to 5 and increase Listen and Spot by 2 apiece or give it a racial bonus in those sense skills.

That works. Diplomacy still ends up 1 point higher than those other two skills.

Updated.

Cleon

Legend
I'm not opposed to two versions, but don't absolutely feel it's needed. They could always take spellcasting classes like the lammasu. Which version had heal?

EDIT: Oh blast, I got it mixed up with the Opinicus, which has 3/day holy word (not heal) in Monster Manual II and City of Delights, but 1/day holy word in the Enworld 3rd edition conversion. :ENDEDIT

We're doing two good-aligned human-headed Magical Beasts at the same time, no wonder I got confused.

So consider that a "Greater and Regular Opinicus" question. I'd better mention it over on the Al-Q thread.

I do agree that we'll need a non-psionic underbar.

That works. Diplomacy still ends up 1 point higher than those other two skills.

Updated.

There we can agree!

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
For feats, maybe Iron Will and Empowering or perhaps Quickening an SLA/PLA or two?

Sounds good.

The only PLAs it can empower are ego whip and mind thrust, and it can only quicken mind thrust or empty mind.

I think either empowered ego whip or quickened mind thrust.

Quickened mind thrust is certainly the nastier of those two options - 10d10 damage and it can attack normally as well!

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sure! Updated.

Environment: x
Shedu is "any land and underground", while lammasu is "temperate deserts"

Challenge Rating: 8? They have 1 less HD than a lammasu, but have more potent SLAs.

Advancement: x
Lammasu: 8–10 HD (Large); 11–21 HD (Huge)
Shedu: 10-12 HD (Large); 13-24 HD (Huge)

Level Adjustment: +x
Lammasu is +5, Shedu has none listed
Using the Savage Species method, I come up with +6.

A narra is x feet long and weighs x pounds. (No size is given, but a typical lammasu is about 8 feet long and weighs about 500 pounds. A narra's body is based off a small bull, rather than a lion like the lammasu, so we might get an approximation there.)

Narra speak Common, Draconic, and Celestial, and can communicate telepathically? (These are the languages of the lammasu and shedu).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
7-9 HD (Large); 10-18 HD (Huge)?

LA +6 is ok, and so are the languages.

No time to work out the size/weight!

Remove ads