Converting Psionic Creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
That's fine. Here's what we've got now...

Psi-Like Abilities: Always active—synesthete (may feel both sound and light simultaneously); at will—x; 3/day—x; 1/day—psychofeedback, shadow body. Manifester level 5th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
*Includes augmentation for the rautym's manifester level.

Psionic Powers: A rautym manifests powers as a psion (egoist) of 5th level. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Typical Psion Powers Known (power points 32, save DC 13 + power level):
1st—x;
2nd—cause decay, chameleon;
3rd—danger sense.
*Power can be augmented.

Merging the two...

Psi-Like Abilities: Always active—synesthete (may feel both sound and light simultaneously); 3/day—cause decay, chameleon; 1/day—danger sense, psychofeedback, shadow body. Manifester level 5th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Look OK?

Cleon

Legend
That's fine. Here's what we've got now...

Psi-Like Abilities: Always active—synesthete (may feel both sound and light simultaneously); at will—x; 3/day—x; 1/day—psychofeedback, shadow body. Manifester level 5th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Psionic Powers: A rautym manifests powers as a psion (egoist) of 5th level. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Typical Psion Powers Known (power points 32, save DC 13 + power level):
1st—x;
2nd—cause decay, chameleon;
3rd—danger sense.
*Power can be augmented.

Merging the two...

Psi-Like Abilities: Always active—synesthete (may feel both sound and light simultaneously); 3/day—cause decay, chameleon; 1/day—danger sense, psychofeedback, shadow body. Manifester level 5th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Look OK?

Looks OK!

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Skills: 7 ranks
Put it all in Concentration?

Feats: 2
Combat Manifestation?

Challenge Rating: 3? Cause decay is fairly deadly for its power level, and the dance magic can be game-changing in groups.

Alignment: Usually neutral evil?

Advancement: By character class (psion)? Or HD advancement?

Level Adjustment: -? (I suppose they aren't that bad individually as characters, but a group of them with dance magic could be campaign-breaking)

A rautym is 4 feet tall and weighs x pounds.

Rautym speak x.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Skills: 7 ranks
Put it all in Concentration?

I'd prefer 5 in Concentration and 2 in Perform (dance), just for the sake of verisimilitude.

They'll get a +4 circumstance bonus on all three sensory skills from their improved synesthete power.

That works out as:

Skills: Concentration +6, Listen +1* [+5 with synesthete], Perform (dance) +5, Search +1* [+5 with synesthete], Spot +1* [+5 with synesthete]

Feats: 2
Combat Manifestation?

Yes, plus Multiattack?

Challenge Rating: 3? Cause decay is fairly deadly for its power level, and the dance magic can be game-changing in groups.

Alignment: Usually neutral evil?

Both are fine.

Advancement: By character class (psion)? Or HD advancement?

Hit Dice but no size change feels right to me, probably 4-9 HD (Small).

Level Adjustment: -? (I suppose they aren't that bad individually as characters, but a group of them with dance magic could be campaign-breaking)

If a PC asked me to play one of these I'd set the Level Adjustment to "Hell No", a.k.a. "—".

A rautym is 4 feet tall and weighs x pounds.

40 or 50 pounds?

Rautym speak x.

There's no mention of language in the original text, but Undercommon would make sense.

Cleon

Legend
Updated. What's left?

Skills: Concentration +6, Listen +1*, Perform (dance) +5, Search +1*, Spot +1*

*Includes +4 racial bonus for synesthete.

The spell provides a circumstance bonus, not a racial one, and the modifier is +5 if you include it:

Skills: Concentration +6, Listen +5*, Perform (dance) +5, Search +5*, Spot +5*

*Includes +4 circumstance bonus from its always active synesthete psi-like ability.

Dance Magic (Sp): Rautyms possess a unique ability to work magic by dancing. At least two rautyms are needed to work dance magic. One rautym acts as the focus of the magic, and the other rautyms dance around the focus rautym to generate the magic.
Oops, I must have forgotten "Rautym" is both singular and plural when I wrote that, it should be:

Dance Magic (Sp):
Rautym possess a unique ability to work magic by dancing. At least two rautym are needed to work dance magic. One rautym acts as the focus of the magic, and the other rautym dance around the focus rautym to generate the magic.

Although rautym lack the traditional senses of vision and hearing, they can psionically "feel" sound and "hear" light with their power, allowing them to move about in the subterranean dark freely. They maintain small quantities of faintly phosphorescent rocks all about their lairs, or on their persons if travelling, which allow them to function easily. If plunged into magical darkness and silence, the rautym panic and attempt to flee.
It doesn't really need the Although at the start, and I feel the last sentence would work better in the Tactics section.

Rautym lack the traditional senses of vision and hearing, but psionically "feel" sound and "hear" light, allowing them to move about in the subterranean dark freely. They maintain small quantities of faintly phosphorescent rocks all about their lairs, or on their persons if travelling, which allow them to function easily.

Combat
When a rautym senses danger, it uses psychofeedback to improve its Strength, then uses shadow body to sneak behind its enemies. The rautym then use cause decay or simply join melee.

Rautym rely on their synesthete power to sense their surroundings. If plunged into magical darkness and silence, rautym panic and attempt to flee.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looks pretty good, though I guess I'd rather "often" than "usually" NE. Not sure why, just feels that way to me.

Remove ads