Do You Build As You Go?

I was recently pondering character creation when I realized that none of my characters ever end up the way I plan when I'm rolling my d6's. That is, the game always takes twists and turns that change the progression I intended my character to take. So, I'll start out with a clear idea of where my character will be at 20th level... the feats, the skills, and the perfect PrC. Yet, somehow, it all ends up changing and my paladin that I wanted to become a ship captain ends up never stepping foot on a boat until somewhere around 15th level (and with more cleric levels than paladin!).

Do you build your characters as you play or do you create a character with a specific build in mind? What's the most drastic change in character concept that you've ever experienced or seen?

The Lost Muse

First Post
For me, it depends on who is DM'ing and for how long. In a quick 3-4 session campaign (usually to give me a break) I will take whatever is expedient; however, in a long-term campaign I try and come up with a character concept that requires several levels to fully realize.

maddman75

First Post
Never. Seeing my character evolve and change through the game is part of the fun for me. Truthfully, if I started a character out and planned it out that far I'd be bored of it.

Grymar

Explorer
I find I'm much like you, Queen. I'll start with a plan, but then due to either the varied twists and turns of a campaign or my own short attention span, I'll often do something unexpected.

I'm actually trying to force myself to get a prestige class in one campaign...believe it or not, it will be my first PrC ever. I'm shooting for getting my Warforged Scout Fighter/Scout a few levels of Extreme Explorer.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
When I play, I'm a one class person. I don't really multi-class.
I don't like too many PrC's, so never plan for them. My plan of
feats may change with time, but I almost always stay with the
same class.

Traditionally, I'll start with a plan and enjoy watching the character evolve as they go. I really don't enjoy it any other way -- if I locked myself into a path at 1st level and felt obliged to stick with it for a year, I'd get bored with that character real quick. FWIW, I play computer RPGs the same way.

kaomera

Explorer
I think you need to do a bit of both. Pre-requisites for feats alone require at least a certain attention to how the character is developed mechanically, but you can't ever be sure how it will all work out in the end...

Tiberius

Explorer
Usually I have a progression set in stone, and it takes a pretty substantial event or revelation to change that. For example, my current character in an Eberron game was intended to go Wiz5/Wild Mage 10/Fatespinner 5. Then I died, and learned that the Eberronian (?) afterlife is a giant line. Just... waiting. For something as-yet-to-be-determined. Being the freewheeling type, I could totally see my character finding this shockingly abhorrant. As such, my reaction to this was along the lines of "Seriously? I need a phylactery!"

It's a +4 LA, but it's so worth it to never go back there.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
maddman75 said:
Never. Seeing my character evolve and change through the game is part of the fun for me. Truthfully, if I started a character out and planned it out that far I'd be bored of it.

Ditto. I don't plan characters I play them and see where they go.

Remove ads