Do You Build As You Go?

smootrk

First Post
I might have a general idea for the path that the character might take (as in a certain PRC or Feat Tree), but I don't do any hard planning more than 1 level out. I prefer the events surrounding the character to be the primary deciding force, not some grand-master-plan that runs independent of the actual events.

I usually don't have a firm plan in mind in the first place. Luckily for me, I have always had GMs who are willing to work with me if I feel the need to change direction mid-stream; I can swap out some older feats or whatever if needed to qualify for a prestige class if suddenly it occurs to me that I want to.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I have found through character creation and as a GM seeing others go through character creation that it is almost always a good idea to have a general idea of what you want and then start with that. You really get a much better experience when you have this basic idea and let the character grow.

Too often I see someone create a character that they want to be charismatic or grim and serious only to find that they really cannot sustain that level for a long cmapaign. Alteratively, you have players who had an idea in mind first and then they want it to evolve into something more.

Bottom line - during character creation do not box yourself in.

Patlin

Explorer
I love to play, and one of the things I like to do when my buddies aren't available to play is design characters. Not only do I design characters from 1 to (at least) 20 but I've got characters designed that way which are still waiting to find a campaign to play in.

Peni Griffin

First Post
I can't think of anything more likely to cripple a character's effectiveness than commitment to a particular career path. I won't even set myself up to follow feat trees unless the starting feat is flexible enough, a character has a lot of them, or the tree is plainly appropriate to the character concept regardless of what happens. Rangers should take archery feats, knights should take mounted feats and invest in mounts, etc. Otherwise, I build exactly the way people build themselves in real life - in response to their experience and opportunities. That way, you're never caught regreting "wasted" skill points or feat slots selected on the basis of an ideal career path that circumstances wrested from you.

All my characters are liberal arts majors - employable whatever happens in the economy!

Phlebas

First Post
I try to plan the next few levels (so I can get the right feats etc if i want a prestige class) and might have an idea for the concept, but you have to be ready to react to the story so I don't put too much effort into long term planning.

My shifter ranger will probably might end up ranger 10, Reach runner 5 weretouched master 5, but I only looked into WM when the plot took us so far away from the eldeen reaches the DM and i agreed it wasn't appropriate to go straight into RR (and i was doing a lot of RP of the 'beast within') - so thats changed since character creation. I'll probably still go for reach runner eventually but it will depend on plot lines. Currently i'm ranger 5 / WM 1 and will stay in WM for the next few levels

My GF normally plans all 20 levels out, including feats, PrC's etc, but even she has had to change the plan occasionally (but normally responding to the game or a near miss making her change priorities)

Doug McCrae

Legend
Problem is, if some players are dedicated builders, your PC will be significantly less effective than theirs. Then they get to throw things at you and call you 'noob powergamer'.

Wombat

First Post
I prefer my character to be organic, to come up with a broad vision of where it is going, but reacting to the gameworld that I am presented with. Under the current rules this can put the cabash on a "maximized" character, but I prefer a character with a tale, rather than an optimized set of statistics.

Peni Griffin

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
Problem is, if some players are dedicated builders, your PC will be significantly less effective than theirs. Then they get to throw things at you and call you 'noob powergamer'.
No, because they're too busy whining about how the DM never lets them use their "perfect builds" while you're using the resources at hand to save their hineys.

Remove ads