Wasn't there supposed to be a big errata push?

Glyfair

Explorer
I seem to remember that shortly after the new community liason/manager at WotC was hired he said on the forums that there would be a big push to release and update errata.

As I've been keeping track of Eyes of the Lich Queen errata I was wondering if this would ever be addressed.

So, I check the WotC errata page. The last update was last June, over a year ago.

Was the promise just smoke & mirrors? Anyone heard anything on any updates?

JoeGKushner

First Post
NO, seems you missed it. That errata is not for current products, it's for NEW products. Even though many have collected and coalated the errata on older products, it's not worth WoTC time to actually PUT it somewhere centralized and hey, NEW products are the future! Too bad WoTC hasn't decided what timeline that actually means. :p

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
[open net shot]They have been gathering the errata to make the corrections when they release 4e [/open net shot]

Seriously, I do recall something being posted about the errata, but I also seem to recall that it is something a couple of people do on the side, so it is sporadic based upon their primary workload.

Glyfair

Explorer
Doing some searching I came on this post:

A couple months ago, at the urging of the folks in Customer Service, R&D got back on the errata bandwagon after falling off a few times in 2006. We recently started updating the errata documents again. I'll check with the responsible parties, but you should begin to see errata updates soon, in batches likely
It was dated 5/4/07. So, it's been 3 months and not a peep.

As one example for something that "needs" errata, Eyes of the Lich Queen has a map of an area that is virtually unusable. There are supposed to be 4 numbered/lettered locations on the map. Only one location has a tag, and it's clearly incorrect (the location noted is supposed to be on the coast and is identified as being about 30 miles inland).

Last edited:

Yeah, the errata thing really irks me. It's my biggest peeve with WotC. Really, I don't care about the magazines, have no real oppinion on the DI, but this really makes me mad. Especially when they print products like the Spell Compendium that contain updated versions of spells, but *still* don't publish official errata. Then there's the FAQ, which they will update without correcting, but that's another rant.

Glyfair

Explorer
Sanguinemetaldawn said:
Although its obviously not a correction of individual products, it certainly has errata...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/215397200

Chris Perkins is on the record as saying:
I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion, but I can certainly answer your question: When we release errata, it will always be free.

So, any "errata" in that book will have been released for free in some other form (presumbably the WotC website).

That doesn't stop them from getting around the statement with a semantics argument. For example, the Spell Compendium has updated spells not "errata." Still, the Rules Compendium specifically uses the word errata.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Deset Gled said:
Yeah, the errata thing really irks me. It's my biggest peeve with WotC. Really, I don't care about the magazines, have no real oppinion on the DI, but this really makes me mad. Especially when they print products like the Spell Compendium that contain updated versions of spells, but *still* don't publish official errata. Then there's the FAQ, which they will update without correcting, but that's another rant.
If you want errata for D&D products, you need to tell WOTC to make the D&D product into a tradable card game. This will get it errata right away. :) ;) :cool:

Have you ever checked out the errata for Magic the Gathering? :D :p :lol:

Razz

Banned
Banned
Glyfair said:
As one example for something that "needs" errata, Eyes of the Lich Queen has a map of an area that is virtually unusable. There are supposed to be 4 numbered/lettered locations on the map. Only one location has a tag, and it's clearly incorrect (the location noted is supposed to be on the coast and is identified as being about 30 miles inland).

You wanna talk about some really serious errors on recently NEW products? Check out the errors in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits located here that a fellow gamer has compiled up: Expedition to the Demonweb Pits ERRORS

And the ONLY form of errata they offered on their website was the accidental omission of a new monster, the Wild Hunter. :confused:

Um, what about the other 70+ blatant errors they should fix?

Awesome book, by the way, if you can somehow see past all those errors.

Remove ads