• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wasn't there supposed to be a big errata push?

Glyfair

Explorer
Razz said:
Um, what about the other 70+ blatant errors they should fix?

In their defense, much of this isn't errata material. Something being non-optimal isn't errata material, for example. Missing information isn't necessarily errata material (I don't need errata for most missing space/reach entries).

That doesn't mean that these aren't things that should be caught in design. However, I think you are only looking at about a couple dozen true errata entries.

Adso

First Post
Glyfair said:
I seem to remember that shortly after the new community liason/manager at WotC was hired he said on the forums that there would be a big push to release and update errata.

As I've been keeping track of Eyes of the Lich Queen errata I was wondering if this would ever be addressed.

So, I check the WotC errata page. The last update was last June, over a year ago.

Was the promise just smoke & mirrors? Anyone heard anything on any updates?

We have released some errata—very pressing bits—from Drow of the Underdark and Expedition to the Demonweb Pits since or around that original announcement. They’ve gone up as special articles on the Wizards of the Coast website.

I know what you are all thinking—it’s not enough, and you’re right.

For the last few months, a number of us from R&D, the customer service team, and the folks in organized play have been meeting and discussing our somewhat recent (which I wouldn’t say is entirely non-existent...rather it's more dysfunctional) errata process. It was our goal to kick-start it and make it useful, regular, and sustainable.

We’ve explored many avenues of gathering, reviewing, and deciding on what is useful and necessary errata. Some discussions and decisions seemed easy at first, but later we discovered hidden pitfalls and challenges. Some talks started off very heated, but in the end we found out what seemed like disagreements were actually just the pains of finding out that we really agreed, we just didn’t want to admit it at first (just like some message board conversations, eh?).

In the end, we settled on an idea for errata that is simple, straight-forward, and useful to the most number of players. It was not an easy decision to come to, and I am sure to some folks it’ll be more than a little controversial.

Basically we are not going to sweat the small stuff. We are going to prioritize errata and release it through quarterly updates on the rules as a whole organized by source. Pretty soon we are going to release a first test version that deals with some pressing issues from a variety of sources and a more detailed look at the Magic Item Compendium.

This Fall, we are going to unleash the first update on the regular quarterly schedule, focusing on the big-button books—the one’s most of use the most—Spell Compendium, Player’s Handbook II, and Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords. Of course other books with large problems will also see the light of day in the update; remember our first priority is the severity of issue.

What aren’t you going to find in these documents? Nagging little math errors in stat blocks, small bits of text snafus, and those little hiccups that may be great for Web threads but can be easily sidestepped during actual play. Of course we realize those are there, we are always finding ways to limit them before they get in books (damn stat block gremlins roam the halls of WotC while we sleep…I swear to god), and the more egregious of those things will end up in the update document, but for maximum usefulness, big nagging problems are the (reluctant) stars of our errata…and we are rolling out the red carpet for them first.

I hope that at least answers your question in a general way, even if it does smack of "hurry up and wait".

Scribble

First Post
DM-Rocco said:
If you want errata for D&D products, you need to tell WOTC to make the D&D product into a tradable card game. This will get it errata right away. :) ;) :cool:

Have you ever checked out the errata for Magic the Gathering? :D :p :lol:

Maybe they can just make the errata itself a collectible element...

Aww man, I got a Spell Compendium double.. anyone wanna trade?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
That's excellent news; I don't mind that the small errors go by uncorrected as long as they don't make something unplayable.

Cheers!

Glad to hear it Stephen. Thanks for the update. I think most people are really concerned with the errors that affect the playability of items in a book. Yes, errors in the text like mis-spellings, incorrect grammar and stat blocks that are off by one or two points, are annoying, but most of the time they don't stop you from using the book or item in question.

However, when feats, classes, monsters, etc., have errors in them that leave them open to abuse or are unclear in exactly how they work, it makes it harder to use (or want to use) that product. Adventures with confusing or erroneous maps also fall into this category. If you can fix most of these issues up then I don't really care about the other stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

Olaf the Stout

JustKim

First Post
Glyfair said:
As one example for something that "needs" errata, Eyes of the Lich Queen has a map of an area that is virtually unusable. There are supposed to be 4 numbered/lettered locations on the map. Only one location has a tag, and it's clearly incorrect (the location noted is supposed to be on the coast and is identified as being about 30 miles inland).
What areas are those?

Glyfair

Explorer
JustKim said:
What areas are those?

[SBlock]The entire map of Trebez Sinara. The C1 area is supposed to be where you approach the island. The C1 location points to a spot 30 miles inland.

There are C2, C3 & C4 locations that are on the way to the "dungeon", but there isn't anything on the map to indicate those areas (except for the misplaced C1 marker). Nothing, not even a symbol missing a marker.[/Sblock]

Glyfair

Explorer
JustKim said:
Thanks, I'm running the adventure and didn't catch that.

Be sure to check my errata, linked to above. There are a lot of little annoying things.

The most common one are encounter areas that state the map is 5' per inch when they are really 10' per inch. This is pretty common, especially in the mansion. The encounters have a very different feel when everything is crowded in half the area.

Remove ads