A new Middle Earth d20 thread

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Figure I'll start out with a monster post - sorry!

Here is some groundwork for a 4th Age campaign I've been thinking about:

It is as if the Dark Lord still haunts his land. It is known that his servants certainly do. Orcs, Trolls, and various factions of evil Men vie for the control of the remnants of the great armies of Mordor. Ghosts, both of Sauron's servants and his enemies - many of whom endured great and long torment in the bowels of Barad-dur - walk this dark land also. Wargs and even fouler creatures roam Mordor, directionless with Sauron's passing, but ruthless and deadly nonetheless. It should also not be forgotten that strange and horrid things still haunt the Ephel Duath, ready to pounce upon those who enter the dark land of Mordor.

Gondor has built a small fortress near the ruins of the Dark Lord's fortress. It is there to guard the ruins, provide a base for expeditions into those ruins, and to be a picket in case any remaining servants of Sauron decide to congregate in force.

The fortress was built using stone hauled in from Gondor. This is because the few remaining keeps near Barad-dur that were intact after the fall of Sauron were so infused with evil that not even the hardiest Gondorian garrison could long abide being in them. Headaches, nightmares, and a general malaise sapped morale. Troops returning from their tour of duty in those places were listless and depressed for months afterward.

King Elessar, concerned for his soldiers, but wanting to ensure that the ruins of the great fortress were not looted by evil beings looking for some of Sauron's powerful artifacts, decided to have a small castle and keep specially built. Dwarves were hired to assist engineers from Minas Tirith, and Durin's folk seemed grimly pleased to be building a fortress in the very face of the Dark Lord's seat of power. Good, clean stone was shipped in great caravans, and the building of the fortress took less than a year.

Teams of explorers, specially commissioned, are examined by the King himself to determine their trustworthiness. They are then sent to various parts of the ruins of Barad-dur, based on their training and experience. So far, only some few pieces of Sauron's vast treasury and armory have been discovered, most of which was so tainted as to necessitate destroying them. Yet the King richly rewards those who return with such items. It is known the King takes a keen interest in the discovery of the palantir once used by Sauron. Though it is now so touched by Sauron's evil as to be worthless to any sane person, the King does not want such an artifact to fall into the hands of Sauron's one-time servants.

There are some few bold adventurers who prowl amongst the ruins outside the approval of King Elessar. Mordor is a vast and darkened land, and the ruins of Barad-dur are also large and spread out. Even the largest, most alert garrison could not prevent the trespass of all those adventurers who sought the ruins. Some come simply to line their own pockets, but many of Sauron's minions covet the wealth they know to remain in the shattered fortress. These miscreants slip amongst the shadows, endeavoring to elude the alert garrison of Gondor.

Here are a few more 4th Age bits and pieces; first, I present several quotes from the books concerning the 4th Age, or things that would impact a 4th Age campaign, and then I present a few random thoughts of my own:

"For though Sauron had passed, the hatreds and evils that he bred had not died, and the King of the West had many enemies to subdue before the White Tree could grow in peace. And wherever King Elessar went with war King Eomer went with him; and beyond the Sea of Rhun and on the far fields of the South the thunder of the cavalry of the Mark was heard, and the White Horse upon Green flew in many winds until Eomer grew old."

- The Return of the King, Apendix A, part II, The House of Eorl

"After the fall of Sauron, Gimli brought south a part of the Dwarf-folk of Erebor, and he became Lord of the Glittering Caves. He and his people did great works in Gondor and Rohan. For Minas Tirith they forged gates of mithril and steel to replace those broken by the Witch-king. Legolas his friend brought south Elves out of Greenwood, and they dwelt in Ithilien, and it became once again the fairest country in all the westlands."

- The Return of the King, Appendix A, part III, Durin's Folk

"Three times Lorien had been assailed from Dol Guldur, but besides the valour of the elven people of that land, the power that dwelt there was too great for any to overcome, unless Sauron had come there himself. Though grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were driven back; and when the Shadow had passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lorien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed.
In the North also there had been war and evil. The realm of Thranduil was invaded, and there was long battle under the trees and great ruin of fire; but in the end Thranduil had the victory. And on the day of the New Year of the Elves, Celeborn and Thranduil met in the midst of the forest; and they renamed Mirkwood Eryn Lasgalen, The Wood of Greenleaves. Thranduil took all the northern region as far as the mountains that rise in the forest for his realm; and Celeborn took all the southern wood below the Narrows, and named it East Lorien; all the wide forest between was given to the Beornings and the Woodmen. But after the passing of Galadriel in a few years Celeborn grew weary of his realm and went to Imladris to dwell with the sons of Elrond. In the Greenwood the Silvan Elves remained untroubled, but in Lorien there lingered sadly only a few of its former people, and there was no longer light or song in Caras Galadon."

- The Return of the King, Appendix B, The Tale of Years

"King Elessar rides north, and dwells for a while by Lake Evendim." [Fourth Age 14]

- The Return of the King, Appendix B, The Tale of Years

"And Aragorn gave to Faramir Ithilien to be his princedom, and bade him dwell in the hills of Emyn Arnen within sight of the City.
'For,' said he, 'Minas Ithil in Morgul Vale shall be utterly destroyed, and though it may in time to come be made clean, no man may dwell there for many long years.'"

- The Return of the King, Book VI, Chapter V: The Steward and the King

"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day."

- The Two Towers, Book III, Chapter V: The White Rider

Annuminas is restored, and becomes the chief city of the northern kingdom. It is not difficult to picture that King Elessar also rebuilt Fornost Erain and Tharbad. It is also highly likely, even though unmentioned, that Osgiliath was cleared and rebuilt. Minas Morgul/Minas Ithil would be destroyed, which would take some exploration and fighting - very much like a D&D adventure.

With the Balrog defeated, Sauron gone, and a huge part of the strength of the orcs in the region destroyed, it is quite likely that the Dwarves would at least begin to explore and clean out Moria.

Mirkwood (renamed Eryn Lasgalen) and Ithilien would likely also remain havens for a time for evil creatures, such as spiders and orcs.

Shelob still dwells near Cirth Ungol, and the Watcher in the Water still haunts the lake near the west gate of Moria.

Galadriel would have to use some rather powerful spells in D&D terms to throw down the walls of Dol Guldur and lay bare its pits. Transmutation spells like Disintegrate, Transmute Rock to Mud, Move Earth, and Evocation spells like Earthquake could have been used. She also possibly "laid bare" those pits by way of Divination spells.

Veterans of Celeborn's taking of Dol Guldur would be good candidates for duty in Mordor itself.

There are at least two great Elves still unaccounted for in the 4th Age: Daeron and Maglor. Perhaps one or the other is encountered in the East, or perhaps one or the other returns to western Middle Earth, finally weary of wandering, their pain and sorrow driving them towards the west at last. Perhaps one of them could take up residence in fading Lorien, or even in Rivendell for a time, or take up the kingship of East Lorien once Celeborn leaves.

Let me say I think this is a great idea and I've followed the work on the MEd20 site for quite a while.

Certainly the adventuring possibilities abound in Middle Earth of the 4th Age. The idea of a return to Moria always fascinated me. I think there's too much wealth and nostalgia for the dwarves to have left it alone forever, and with the passing of Sauron, certainly the orcs there are probably weakened (though I'm not sure what that implies for the Balrog).

A great dwarvish campaign in ME4A, besides liberating Moria, could be the foundation of the kingdom of the Glittering Caves under Gimli. Though, as an aside, I never understood why Rohan would permit this.

I like the idea of a party of adventurers hired by Gondor to help patrol Mordor from a Gondorian citadel there. Certainly lots of dungeon crawling possibilities, and lots of strange creatures and intriguing magic in the dark places of Gorgoroth.

[Semi-seriously] The first adventure could be ... Keep on the Borderlands! [/semi-seriously]

The ME4A setting seems to eliminate some of the difficulties of balancing elven characters -- the Noldor are all gone (or else you could quest to find their remnants). Elven characters could be wood elves (I forget the ME term), which always struck me as being the most like D&D elves, lacking the great power of the other elvish sub-races. But I admit I've never been sure exactly where they fit in. They never had a ring, and maybe they remain behind as the other elves go over the sea, and continue to live if somewhat diminished.

Another throught I had while watching FotR last night ...

While ME4A is probably the best all-around setting for adventuring if you want to avoid book-plot conflicts, Decipher's take on the Hobbit to FotR span isn't a bad one.

There's also the 17 year gap in FotR that could open up adventuring possibilites, especially for those who might want to play a character from the book, but not feel hemmed in by the published events. For example:

- Bilbo's trip to Erebor and return to Rivendell
- Gandalf hunting for ring-lore
- Gandalf and Aragorn tracking down Gollum, and taking him to Mirkwood
- Balin & Co. going to reclaim Moria (my personal favorite)
- Lots of adventures from Gondor, Eriador, or the Misty Mountains against the growing orc-threat and lengthening shadow of Sauron (Fall of eastern Osgiliath, etc).

These adventures have the drawback of having a know end point, and the inherent difficulty of character balance, but allows players to have a tangential influence on LotR events that aren't particularly well documented

qstor

Adventurer
I think book plot conflicts could be minimized if you used some of the PC ideas from the MERP modules. I know a lot of posters dont care for them all the much but I think they are a pretty good source for campaign information and adventure ideas.

Mike

Low-level Lord of the Rings

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

This is a conversion of the characters of the Lord of the Rings into D&D stats, using the assumption that since Middle Earth is a relatively low-magic world, the best way to simulate it is with low-level characters.

1. RACES

Hobbits: As D&D Halfling

Dwarves: As D&D Dwarves

Elves:

Noldor: As Grey elves, with half-celestial temple

Sindar: As High elves, with half-celestial template

Wood elves: As D&D elves

Men:

Rohrrim/Gondorian: As D&D humans

Numenoreans: As D&D half-elves, with the extra feat and skills of a human

Gnomes: non-existent

Half-orcs: as NPCs only (Saurman’s Uruk-hai)

2. THE FELLOWSHIP

These stats represent the Fellowship at approximately their departure from Rivendell.

Gandalf the Grey: Male Human Wizard 8; CR 8; Medium Humanoid (Human); HD 8d4+8; hp 33; Init +5; Spd 30 ft.; AC 11; Atk +5 melee (1d6+1, quarterstaff +1), +2 melee (1d8+2, longsword +2); AL NG; SV Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +8; Str 10, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 20, Wis 15, Cha 16; Height 5' 11", weight 155#

Skills and Feats: Alchemy +11, Concentration +10, Heal +3, Intimidate +4, Intuit Direction +4, Knowledge (arcana) +16, Knowledge (nature) +12, Knowledge (Middle Earth) +16, Scry +16, Spellcraft +16; Combat Casting, Improved Initiative, Leadership, Martial Weapon Proficiency(Longsword), Spell Mastery (daylight, pyrotechnics, knock, comprehend languages)

Spells per day: 4/6/4/4/3

Spells prepared: 0- light, mage hand, dancing lights x2; 1- alarm, charm person, expeditious retreat, feather fall, message, comprehend languages; 2- pyrotechnics, knock, arcane lock, daylight; 3- dispel magic, protection from elements, suggestion, tongues; 4- detect scrying, minor creation, shout

Possessions: Gandalf’s staff, Glamdring (see below)

Aragorn: Male Numernorean Ranger 6; CR 6; Medium Humanoid (Numenorean); HD 6d10+6; hp 52; Init +1; Spd 30 ft.; AC 15; Atk +12/+7 melee (1d8+6, longsword +3), +7/+2 ranged (1d6, shortbow); AL LG; SV Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +4; Str 16, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 18; Height 6', weight 180#
Skills and Feats: Animal Empathy +7, Concentration +4, Diplomacy +6, Heal +13, Hide +6, Intuit Direction +6, Knowledge (nature) +6, Move Silently +6, Ride +8, Search +4, Spot +7, Wilderness Lore +11; Combat Reflexes, Leadership, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Heal), Track, Favored Enemy (Goblinoids +2, Undead +1)

Spells per day: 2/0

Spells prepared: 1- Pass without trace, alarm

Possessions: masterwork chain shirt, Anduril (see below), Shortbow & 20 arrows, Elfstone

Legolas: Male Elf (Wood) Fighter 4; CR 4; Medium Humanoid (Elf); HD 4d10; hp 31; Init +4; Spd 30 ft.; AC 16; Atk +8 melee (1d4+1, dagger), +9 ranged (1d8+1, masterwork mighty composite longbow (12 str)); AL CG; SV Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2; Str 12, Dex 19, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 10; Height 5', weight 100#

Skills and Feats: Balance +7, Climb +3, Hide +5, Jump +4, Move Silently +5, Ride +9, Swim +3, Tumble +5, Wilderness Lore +3; Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Weapon Finesse (Dagger)

Possessions: Leather Armor, Mighty Composite Longbow +1, Dagger

Gimli: Male Dwarf (Hill) Fighter 4; CR 4; Medium Humanoid (Dwarf); HD 4d10+8; hp 41; Init +0; Spd 15 ft.; AC 15; Atk +9 melee (1d8+4, masterwork battleaxe); AL LG; SV Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +1; Str 16, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 9; Height 4' 5", weight 140#

Skills and Feats: Climb +2, Craft (stonework) • +5, Jump +3, Profession (smith) +1; Endurance, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Weapon Focus (Battleaxe)

Possessions: Masterwork chainmail; masterwork battleaxe

Boromir: Male Human Fighter 4; CR 4; Medium Humanoid (Human); HD 4d10+4; hp 38; Init +1; Spd 30 ft.; AC 16; Atk +8 melee (1d8+3, longsword); AL LN; SV Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +0; Str 16, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 13; Height 5' 10", weight 180#

Skills and Feats: Climb +5, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +2, Jump +7, Knowledge (nobility & royalty) +1, Ride +8; Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Cleave, Quick Draw, Toughness, Weapon Focus (Longsword)

Possessions: Masterwork Studded Leather Armor, masterwork shield, longsword, horn of Gondor

Frodo Baggins: Male Hobbit Fighter/Aristocrat 1/1; CR 2; Small Humanoid (Halfling); HD 1d10+1d8+6; hp 27; Init +2; Spd 20 ft.; AC 18; Atk +3 melee (1d6+1, short sword +1); AL LG; SV Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +6; Str 10, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 12; Height 3' 6", weight 40#

Skills and Feats: Appraise +4, Climb +2, Diplomacy +5, Hide +6, Knowledge (The Shire) +6, Listen +5, Move Silently +4, Perform +5, Ride +5, Spot +3, Swim +1, Wilderness Lore +2; Iron Will, Toughness

Possessions: Sting (see below), +1 mithral shirt

Samwise Gamgee: Male Hobbit Fighter/Commoner 1/1; CR 2; Small Humanoid (Halfling); HD 1d10+1d4+4; hp 16; Init +2; Spd 20 ft.; AC 14; Atk +4 melee (1d6+2, short sword +1); AL LG; SV Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +2; Str 12, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10; Height 3' 4", weight 45#

Skills and Feats: Climb +4, Knowledge (Herb Lore) +1, Profession (Gardener) +5, Ride +3, Use Rope +4; Dodge, Great Fortitude

Possessions: Barrowblade, padded shirt

Meriadoc Brandybuck: Male Hobbit Rogue/Aristocrat 1/1; CR 2; Small Humanoid (Halfling); HD 1d8+1d6+2; hp 16; Init +3; Spd 20 ft.; AC 15; Atk +3 melee (1d6+2, short sword +1); AL LG; SV Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3; Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 12; Height 4', weight 55#

Skills and Feats: Appraise +2, Diplomacy +6, Hide +9, Intuit Direction +1, Knowledge (The Shire) +2, Listen +3, Perform +4, Ride +5, Tumble +5, Wilderness Lore +2; Endurance

Peregrin Took: Male Hobbit Fighter/Aristocrat 1/1; CR 2; Small Humanoid (Halfling); HD 1d10+1d8+2; hp 20; Init +2; Spd 20 ft.; AC 14; Atk +4 melee (1d6+2, short sword +1); AL LG; SV Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +2; Str 12, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 10; Height 4', weight 60#

Skills and Feats: Diplomacy +1, Handle Animal +2, Hide +7, Knowledge (The Shire) +2, Listen +2, Move Silently +5, Perform +1, Ride +4, Spot +1, Wilderness Lore +2; Dodge, Toughness

Post Campaign, I would put the Fellowship at the following levels:

Gandalf: Wiz 11

Aragorn: Rgr 9 (+cloak of Lothlorien, Palantir of Orthanc)

Boromir: deceased Ftr 6

Legolas: Ftr 7 (+ cloak of Lothlorien)

Gimli: Ftr 7 (+cloak of Lothlorien)

Frodo: Ari1/Ftr4 (+cloak of Lothlorien, phial of Galadriel)

Sam: Com1/Ftr4 (+cloak of Lothlorien, rope of Lothlorien)

Merry: Ari1/Rog2/Ftr2 (+Cloak of Lothlorien, masterwork studded leather, masterwork small steel shield, horn of Rohan)

Pippin: Ari1/Ftr4 (+Cloak of Lothlorien, masterwork chainmail, masterwork small steel shield)

3. OTHER ALLIES

Bilbo: LG hobbit Ari 2/Rogue 4 (w/ ranks in Perform: poetry and ballad)

Elrond: As Numenorean; NG Cleric 9

Glorfindel: LG Noldor Paladin 9

Galadriel: NG Noldor Sorcerer 11

Theoden: LN Human Fighter 6

Eomer: LG Human Fighter 5

Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth: LG Human Paladin 5

Faramir: NG Human Ranger 6

4. ENEMIES

Orcs: As D&D goblins

Orcs (Uruks of Mordor): As D&D hobgoblins

Orcs (Uruk-Hai): As D&D half-orcs

Trolls: As D&D Ogre, but Fort Save DC 15 each round in sunlight or turn to stone

Shelob: Half-fiendish huge spider, advanced to 8 HD

Smaug: Adult red dragon

Balrog: Large fiendish fire elemental Sor 4

Sauron: CE fiendish ghost Human Sorcerer 13

Ringwraiths: As D&D Wraiths

5. MAGIC ITEMS

Sting: +1 keen shortsword

Mithral Shirt: +1 moderate fortification chain shirt

Phial of Galadriel: casts light 3/day, daylight 1/day on command

Glamdring, Orcrist: +2 orc-bane longswords

Anduril: +3 flaming longsword

Elfstone: Gives effective +2 to Charisma-based checks when edaling with good-aligned creatures

Gandalf’s staff: +1 quarterstaff, casts light on command, 3/day

Palantir: as crystal ball; Numenorean may use as a rogue with class-level ranks in Use Magic Device

Barrowblade: +1 short-sword

Black Arrow: +2 dragon-bane arrow

Cloak of Lothlorien: As cloak of elvenkind

Rings of Power: cursed ring of ethereal jaunt; provides Listen +4 and Spot +4; make Will save once per decade or lose 1 point of Con, reduction to 0 Con and character becomes a ringwraith under the control of the maker of the ring.

Elven Ring: As ring of elemental command (air, water, or fire)

The One Ring: as Ring of Power, bearer can command ringwraiths with a charisma check of DC 15

Rope of Lothlorien: as rope of climbing

Horn of Rohan/Gondor: The sound of this horn carries for up to 1 league. When sounded, all allies within 100’ receive a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls and saves.

Last edited:

Wikidogre

First Post
Re: Low-level Lord of the Rings

Olgar Shiverstone said:
THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

Nice Ideas, but Gandolf is much more powerfuli that an 8th level DnD Wizard! His original name is Olorin, One of the original Maiar Wizards. The Maiar are Immortal Demi-Gods, who entered Arda in the Time of the Creation.

Hope this helps.

Nice Ideas, but Gandolf is much more powerfuli that an 8th level DnD Wizard! His original name is Olorin, One of the original Maiar Wizards. The Maiar are Immortal Demi-Gods, who entered Arda in the Time of the Creation.

(sigh)

Yes, I'm quite aware that Gandalf/Olorin/Icanus/Mithrandir/Tharkun, and all the Istari, are Maiar. That isn't the point I'm trying to make.

(Aside -- this is a completely subjective discussion. What follows is my opinion. It won't change anyone else's. It doesn't reflect my exact feelings on the subject, but it's a devil's advocate argument. The whole discussion is akin to asking who would win a fight -- Elminster or Raistlin? There is only one answer -- who cares?)

My thesis is this: by the evidence of the writings on the 3rd Age of Middle Earth (specifically, the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings), there is nothing that requires the D&D equivalent of those characters to be high level. In fact, D&D at low levels can very accurately portray adventuring in Middle Earth.

Take Gandalf, for instance. I see no evidence in the books of him performing any feat of magic that cannot be explained by a D&D-equivalent spell of 3rd level or lower. So, conceivably, Gandalf could be a 5th level wizard! Just because he is Maiar does not imply high levels -- he was sent to Middle Earth in human form, so perhaps that form limits his powers. Or, perhaps an 8th level wizard IS the most powerful wizard in Middle Earth. Just because there are levels above that doesn't mean you have to use them -- I am trying to use the minimum possible level, to allow for the fewest deviations from core D&D rules.

Most would argue that converting Middle Earth to D&D requires a major overhaul of the magic system, since there are no "flashy" spell effects -- major damaging spells, teleportation, etc. -- in the books. I propose that you can simulate that not by overhauling the entire system, but by keeping the overall character levels low -- since the power of a 5th level wizard is consistent with what is found in the books.

Another example -- one that doesn't use magic. Aragorn may be the greatest ranger of the age, but he, Legolas, and Gimli lose the trail of the orcs they are tracking in the Two Towers when the orcs pass over some hard ground (they reacquire the trail later by a guess as to the orc's direction of travel). Now, the DMG sets the DC for tracking "a goblin that passed over hard rocks, a week ago, and it snowed yesterday" -- a MUCH more difficult feat than the tracking in Two Towers -- at 43. So Aragorn clearly is not capable of a +23 wilderness lore check, which means he must be well below 20th level as a ranger. My version of him above gives him the ability to make a DC 31 wilderness lore check -- probably just short of what would be required for that situation, which I feel accurately reflects the situation in the book.

Now the best argument in my mind for higher levels is the fight with the Balrog. That's an excellent argument if you equate Balrog = Balor; I've postulated above that a fiendish fire elemental provides an equivalent analog to the Balrog that is consistent with the "lower-level" approach to the situation. But the Balrog is a Maiar too! you exclaim. *Show me* a reference to a deed that can only be exclaimed by extremely high/epic levels, and I'll agree with you.

That's just one man's opinion.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Olgar Shiverstone said:

Most would argue that converting Middle Earth to D&D requires a major overhaul of the magic system, since there are no "flashy" spell effects -- major damaging spells, teleportation, etc. -- in the books. I propose that you can simulate that not by overhauling the entire system, but by keeping the overall character levels low -- since the power of a 5th level wizard is consistent with what is found in the books.

Another way to handle it is by way of tightly focused spell lists. What we've seen from Decipher's sample pages indicates that they are using "spells" very reminiscent of D&D spells, it's just that they have a very specific spell list. One doesn't have to use all the spells in the books in every setting. There are already focused spell lists in D&D - arcane and divine, for the biggest division, but also the lists for the adept, bard, druid, paladin ranger, and witch. In the conversion I did, located at the MEd20 site, I provide a list of spells unavailable in Middle Earth, and try to provide specific spell lists for the characters I statted.

EDIT: By the way, I don't think most would call for an overhaul of D&D's magic system. In the time I've spent on this project, those who want to overhaul the system have been a vocal minority.

Last edited:

I like your magic conversion. With the combat mods -- WP/VP, etc -- I think it's spot on.

Still, I would find it easier to DM using a full list of just 1st-3rd level spells (lower level characters) than a list of selective deletions. IIRC, more spells were deleted from the higher levels than lower.

Any of the systems should work -- Decipher's spell list looks like it captured the flavor well, but I'd prefer d20, so as to use existing rules.

OT - It's not d20, but the best character conversion I can think of is Aragorn as a 10th level Ranger Lord from 1E AD&D. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases