Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Boddynock said:
Oops, sorry RA!!! Grovel, grovel. :eek:

That'll teach me to comment on the run.

Yours, of course, is the magnificent intellect behind such a masterful scheme. None but a fool could have mistaken such creativity for the work of anyone but the great and glorious Rystil Arden.

(How am I doing? :heh: )
Well, the good news is that you did at least read my plan correctly and cite a valid example ;)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Boddynock said:
Yours, of course, is the magnificent intellect behind such a masterful scheme. None but a fool could have mistaken such creativity for the work of anyone but the great and glorious Rystil Arden.
He's not Agimimnon, for Pete's sake!

BigB

First Post
What is the ruling on low level rangers (1st, 2nd,3rd) casting from scrolls if it is on the ranger spell list? I understand casting with wands is allowed. What if the wisdom score of the low level ranger is low also. "Use Magic Device" necessary?

Patlin

Explorer
BigB said:
What is the ruling on low level rangers (1st, 2nd,3rd) casting from scrolls if it is on the ranger spell list? I understand casting with wands is allowed. What if the wisdom score of the low level ranger is low also. "Use Magic Device" necessary?

SRD said:
To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.

The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)
The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
The user must have the requisite ability score.

Without use magic device, a 1st level Ranger can use a divine scroll of a spell on the ranger class list, but only if he has sufficient wisdom.

With use magic device, he couild conceivably compensate for the lack of wisdom.

SRD said:
If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps, below). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.

I believe a 1st level Ranger has a caster level of 0, so there is a 5% chance of miscasting, and then possible mishap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads