How much would you sell a Bag of Devouring for ?

darthkilmor

First Post
Since there's no price listed in the DMG(unless i'm blind), what would the collective enworld wisdom say would be a reasonable price to buy a Bag of Devouring off of a PC for ?

Wolfwood2

Explorer
darthkilmor said:
Since there's no price listed in the DMG(unless i'm blind), what would the collective enworld wisdom say would be a reasonable price to buy a Bag of Devouring off of a PC for ?

3000 gp as a "legitimate" offer from a powerful wizard who wishes to use it in research or a municipality who has a scheme to use it as waste disposal.

5000 gp as a shady offer from a criminal organization that wants to use it to dispose of corpses.

frankthedm

First Post
Considering that being eaten by that damnable bag is about the same as being fed upon by a barghest, i would not set the price low. I also would not sell the item due to the danger of it coming back to bite me in the ass.
Bag of Devouring said:
Creatures drawn within are consumed in 1 round. The bag destroys the victim’s body and prevents any form of raising or resurrection that requires part of the corpse. There is a 50% chance that a wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore a devoured victim to life. Check once for each destroyed creature. If the check fails, the creature cannot be brought back to life by mortal magic.
Feed (Su) said:
When a barghest slays a humanoid opponent, it can feed on the corpse, devouring both flesh and life force, as a full-round action. Feeding destroys the victim’s body and prevents any form of raising or resurrection that requires part of the corpse. There is a 50% chance that a wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore a devoured victim to life. Check once for each destroyed creature. If the check fails, the creature cannot be brought back to life by mortal magic.
As it happens, I suspect the bag HAD a price, only removed prior to printing. Otherwise it stands to reason the non priced items would have been placed at the beginning or ending of the cursed items tables. Thus the 'value' should fall between the 10,000gp and 16,000gp

01-05 Incense of obsession 200 gp
06-15 Ring of clumsiness 500 gp
16-20 Amulet of inescapable location 1,000 gp
21-25 Stone of weight 1,000 gp
26-30 Bracers of defenselessness 1,200 gp
31-35 Gauntlets of fumbling 1,300 gp
36-40 -2 sword, cursed 1,500 gp
41-43 Armor of rage 1,600 gp
44-46 Medallion of thought projection 1,800 gp
47-52 Flask of curses 2,100 gp
53-54 Dust of sneezing and choking 2,400 gp
55 Helm of opposite alignment 4,000 gp
56-60 Potion of poison 5,000 gp
61 Broom of animated attack 5,200 gp
62-63 Robe of powerlessness 5,500 gp
64 Vacuous grimoire 6,000 gp
65-68 Spear, cursed backbiter 7,500 gp
69-70 Armor of arrow attraction 9,000 gp
71-72 Net of snaring 10,000 gp

73-75 Bag of devouring —
76-80 Mace of blood 16,000 gp
81-85 Robe of vermin 16,500 gp
86-88 Periapt of foul rotting 17,000 gp
89-92 Sword, berserking 17,500 gp
93-96 Boots of dancing 30,000 gp

97 Crystal hypnosis ball —
98 Necklace of strangulation 60,000 gp
99 Cloak of poisonousness 62,000 gp
100 Scarab of death 80,000 gp

Though if you want a dissenting opinion, back in 1E Gygax set the selling price at 1,500 and those devoured were "forever gone".

Last edited:

robberbaron

First Post
IMO:

If the seller was Evil, he'd sell it as a Bag of Holding, priced accordingly.

If the seller was Good, he'd either have it destroyed/keep it as a curiosity/sell it as a rare curiosity, in which case it could cost much more than a Bag of Holding.

darthkilmor

First Post
frankthedm said:
Considering that being eaten by that damnable bag is about the same as being fed upon by a barghest, i would not set the price low. I also would not sell the item due to the danger of it coming back to bite me in the ass. As it happens, I suspect the bag HAD a price, only removed prior to printing. Otherwise it stands to reason the non priced items would have been placed at the beginning or ending of the cursed items tables. Thus the 'value' should fall between the 10,000gp and 16,000gp

71-72 Net of snaring 10,000 gp[/SIZE]
73-75 Bag of devouring —
76-80 Mace of blood 16,000 gp

Seems pretty reasonable price range, thanks :)

werk

First Post
robberbaron said:
IMO:

If the seller was Evil, he'd sell it as a Bag of Holding, priced accordingly.

If the seller was Good, he'd either have it destroyed/keep it as a curiosity/sell it as a rare curiosity, in which case it could cost much more than a Bag of Holding.

What, evil people aren't allowed to sell magic toilets?

Seems a bit short sighted to me...

Remove ads