How much would you sell a Bag of Devouring for ?

darthkilmor

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
The price completely depends on who's buying it and for what purpose. Anywhere from, say, 50gp to 30,000gp would be suitable. The bag is one of those rare, surefire ways to perma-kill a BBEG (or a BBGG), so that means it could be extremely valuable. However, using it to dispose of trash for the local tavern would require a much lower price. It also depends on how you set up your campaign world. Would selling this thing break any laws? If so, that would increase its price.

Well this is a Ptolus campaign, so I would say its probably illegal, and probably not game-breaking if the players keep it. Although I think the one player is starting to think of it as a pet, so its becoming an academic exercise figuring out how much it would be worth if he tries to sell it :\

Infiniti2000

First Post
Well, trying to sell such a thing could be a lot of fun for the right player(s) and DM. If this suits you, then go for it and use a higher price (to make all the effort for both of you worthwhile). Make it very legal and work hard on the appropriate legal ramifications, etc. that would apply. Ptolus is very magic-oriented is it not? I could see a mechanisms (spells, perhaps, or a specially worded wish) that could be use to alert the authorities of a cursed-item sale. Of course, then there should be a countermeasure, but perhaps that in of itself requires some sort of work and/or sacrifice.

There's a lot of room to explore here for both the DM and player(s). Don't feel obligated to work out all the details yourself, either, enlist the player(s) (willingly or unwillingly -- just ask them some pointed questions or listen to their rambling commentary as PCs are want to do....)

Patlin

Explorer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
The artificer attempts to regain [NULL] / 25 XP for crafting rules, which causes the game to have a numerical exception error and crash to desktop.

By the way, dividing 0 by 25 produces an uncomplicated 0. It's when you divide by 0 that it's a problem. 0 things shared by 25 people=0 each; 25 thing shared by 0 people=undefined.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
There was a great Ecology article in Dragon (don't remember the issue number) for Bags of Devouring.

In the story, a rogue-type steals a magic ring and tries to hide in what he thinks is a bag of holding. Of course, it's really a bag of Devouring and he gets sucked into the stomach of the creature at the other end of the portal. Lucky for him, the ring he stole turns out to be a Ring of Acid Resistance, which enables him to survive the stomach acids.

So he cuts his way out and finds that the creature is one of many creatures floating on a very salty ocean in a (as far as he can see) dying world, and they have adapted by developing the ability to create portals to far planes.

I don't remember all the details, but I think the creature he's on sinks and he has to cut his way into the body of another creature (they have no external defenses) and escape at random through one of its bag mouths. He ends up on another world far from his home, but he survives. (I think it develops he's telling the story to his grandkid on that new world or something.)

It's an idea dripping with adventure hooks. Darthkillmor, if you ever need to throw in something totally off the wall, you could have an "escapee" climb out of the bag one day!

darthkilmor

First Post
Wolfwood2 said:
It's an idea dripping with adventure hooks. Darthkillmor, if you ever need to throw in something totally off the wall, you could have an "escapee" climb out of the bag one day!

That does sound pretty cool, I'll definitely have to do that soon :)

Remove ads