The big announcement: 4dventure

Remathilis

Legend
Xyxox said:
So if there is no 4.0 version of the SRD released under the OGL, will that mean D&D development will fork?

I think that would be safe to say, with the majority of d20 publishers using some "new" version of the SRD (published in book form, like under "d20 fantasy") while WotC (and perhaps a chosen few) would work under 4e's new mechanics/banner.

We shall see.

Abisashi

First Post
On a barely related note, in M:tG slang, DI means infinite (from Der Infinite*). This makes reading about the Digital Initiative very confusing for me, because the first translation my brain offers is the Magic one.

I now return you to your regul4rly scheduled thre4d.

*This is probably mispelled. I think it is German.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Xyxox said:
So if there is no 4.0 version of the SRD released under the OGL, will that mean D&D development will fork?

That's such a big "if" I don't even want to think about it yet. Yikes. You know, on one hand it would be stupid for WotC to essentially encourage 3rd party publishing to stick with 3E by not allowing them to publish material for 4E, thus encouraging a split gaming community. On the other hand ... I can see a different type of licensing that is more restrictive appealing to WotC. I just can't call it either way...

Razz

Banned
Banned
Yeah, crap, I can't sleep tonight either. And I got a long day of work...then a few more hours after that before someone posts what the hell it's all about.

I hope it's just about the DI thing, really.

And all I came on the website to do was see if the Forgotten Realms Class Chronicles article was up because I wanted to see Eytan Bernstein's awesome work on that series, the topic now on "Incarnum in the Realms."

Bummer.

Talath

Explorer
The Grumpy Celt said:
(Grumpy steps up to the microphone, carefully adjusts it, takes a sip of water, clears his throat...)

My hat of e4 know no limit!

IT IS MORE OF A ROLLPALYING GAME THEN A ROLEPLAYING GAM!!!!!!!!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Another thought occurred to me: it could just be that WotC has decided that the new default setting for D&D will be the 4gotten Realms. :heh:

Well, I think 4e is the most likely thing, though it could just have been a funny choice of name for the digital initiative. I guess I'll stick with 3.5, though, as I have a number of books now but have barely gotten to play. :confused:

Xyxox

Hero
EricNoah said:
That's such a big "if" I don't even want to think about it yet. Yikes. You know, on one hand it would be stupid for WotC to essentially encourage 3rd party publishing to stick with 3E by not allowing them to publish material for 4E, thus encouraging a split gaming community. On the other hand ... I can see a different type of licensing that is more restrictive appealing to WotC. I just can't call it either way...

Seeing these sorts of issues crop up with the open source community over the years, it was the first thought that came to my mind.

I keep going back to the whole Ethereal/Wireshark fork.

Or should I say 4k?

Remove ads