D&D 4E Order of the Stick in 4e

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
The Big Question: What effect will 4e have on OotS?

Well ... anyone have any thoughts on this? I think it's gonna be really interesting to see how Rich tackles this!

/M

Nyeshet

First Post
Recall that we have almost a year before the new edition's PHB comes out.

Also, didn't he say that he was going to take an extended break (for health reasons) after the current story line wraps up?

So, I'm guessing that within a month or two the current story line finishes up, after which he takes a few months break, coming back almost in time for the first "Wizards Presents**" book. So, as the new storyline starts up, he will then convert the characters over based upon what is in that book - perhaps making adjustments later if the intel from those books turns out to be off a bit.

** (Although initially suspected to be books detailing how the 3.5e adjustments were made to the classes / races / monsters / etc and what was going through the developers' minds at the time, it now appears that these are to be previews of the upcoming 4e classes / races / etc, detailing what changes were made and why. They are due out literally months prior to the PHB, as I recall. In fact, I'm surprised there has not yet been a thread started about this! )

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
From MerricB's Thread about the Dungeons & Dragons Insider Package:

-D&D Humor (comic strips devoted to the D&D experience)

My theory is he will be approached by WotC and he will produce a webcomic for them [complete with 4th edition turnovers].

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
if he is able to continue the strip, then the edition change will give him a bunch of new material. ;)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
He's really slowed down lately on the strip. We've only had 3 strips so far this month. At this rate, he may wait until 5E....

Seriously, though, I'm sure 4E will give him some nice material to work with.

Kaodi

Hero
I was just thinking that very thing, Maggan, and I was about to post a thread of my own when I spotted yours.

I kind of wonder if we would see a new incarnation of the Order of the Stick, with Roy's sister as the leader.

SPoD

First Post
Mean Eyed Cat said:
My theory is he will be approached by WotC and he will produce a webcomic for them [complete with 4th edition turnovers].

See, my theory is the opposite: That Rich's announcement that he was ceasing new projects for a while was actually an indication that he had ALREADY been approached by WOTC, and chosen to turn it down for health reasons. It's just that he couldn't say that at the time.

At any rate, I don't think it's going to be an issue until the Player's Handbook comes out. There's so little actual game system jokes in OOTS these days, he could easily skate until next May without even commenting on the rules being used.

Vorput

First Post
::sniffs:: OOTS and 4e

So what will happen to Order of the Stick with the release of 4e? Can such a strip possibly 'convert' form its 3.5 roots to 4e (the fact that such conversions sound immensely difficult aside)?

Are we doomed to never see the beast under the umbrella? Will OOTS stay 3.5 and fade into obscurity? Will it be the flagship for those clinging to the old edition? Will the new D&D insider include an entire module where you play as animated stick figures on-line (I call Elan!)?

Vorp

Remove ads