Discussion - LEW 4th Edition

Graf

Explorer
and an idea for a poll springs to mind

PICK ONE
I would like to play in a possible 4th LEW and start sooner with a less developed world
I would like to play in a possible 4th LEW and start later; putting more time into developing the world

I think I can predict the answer but that doesn't mean its not a good poll; if your aiming to build consensus anyway

Graf

Explorer
fair enough. 1st means no magic items -> vastly easier to deal with.

does anyone have feedback on the poll (a better poll suggestion, etc)? I can't do much on weekends but maybe an offical LEW person should be posting them anyway?

The Goblin King

First Post
I'd rather not flood TtT with polls. One thread at a time is probably good.

You could go into more specifics about what 'detailing' means. Level of detail will vary a bit according to personal taste. I would be satisfied with a short description of the starting city and a blank map showing the coastline. Other people, not so much.

Graf

Explorer
ok sorry. I thought the last post from you meant the current poll was done. Or you've started others already? (not really familiar with the system).

I didnt say detailing so don't really know what it'd mean. ;)
as for developing... Its impossible to define isn't it?

As I see it the project is going like this:
there is strong general interest.
But no real organization or focus.

So somebody pitches an idea, a few people say: don't like it; they may offer some alternatives but anybody whose rrading and posting to a 13th page of a thread for a world that doesn't exist is going to be fairly opinionated. So there is a lot more of people just "sticking to their guns" and repeating their lreferences. The broader community is probably more interested in finding a compromise and playing but nothing really has gotten to point that it could be shown to the community.
I'll make another attempt to synthesize something on Monday probably. Of course I'm sure that will displease people. But I'm not seeing alternatives...

The Goblin King

First Post
I am curious about interest as well. I wonder how many people actually want to play or run a game and how many people just like homebrewing worlds? I am a little concerned about moving too fast. The people who want to participate but don't read this thread every day shouldn't be skipped over because we want to play right away.

I think the Imperium is neat but its just too jarring. It is so obviously a metagame construct. I think players have certain expectations about games. Settings that are too weird turn them off.

Halford

First Post
Graf has an excellent point it does seem like we need somebody - or several somebodies - to take the lead on the project. Maybe we could do something like offer up proposals. Then anybody interested in detailing a system to serve as a base for further development could submit there proposals and a poll could determine which we work from.

I would suggest that proposals be for component parts, the pantheon, etc.

covaithe

Explorer
Regarding playing/running games vs. world-building: Personally, I want to play in games (and possibly run some, once I wrap my head around the rules a bit) rather then build a detailed world. Not that I don't enjoy a well-built setting, but that's not where my interest really lies.

Halford

First Post
So what do we consider the minimum requirements?

A pantheon presumably.

A world history? Unless we wish to have some major theme or a former or current world spanning empire, etc., I can see this being developed in play - not that I'm sure it should be.

A starting town/city/isle. Probably with something similar to the Red Dragon, or which at least serves a similar purpose.

Books allowed. Depending upon actual start date we need to define whats accesible will the PHB2 be allowed, etc. Personally I am in favor of splat books being allowed with editing for 4th edition breakers, though I hope this will be less of a problem giving the relative powering down of feats.

We just need to get some decision making authority implemented to get the ball rolling, or decide on a way to allow polling to decide failing that.

The Goblin King

First Post
So what do we consider the minimum requirements?

A pantheon presumably.

A unified pantheon would be nice but I don't consider it necessary. The Greek inspired one is growing on me.

A world history? Unless we wish to have some major theme or a former or current world spanning empire, etc., I can see this being developed in play - not that I'm sure it should be.

A brief history of recent events would be fine.

A starting town/city/isle. Probably with something similar to the Red Dragon, or which at least serves a similar purpose.

I would consider the role-playing tavern to be the requirement. LEW started with only the RDI. However, I believe the starters of this thread wanted to avoid some of the difficulties LEW had. The random pantheon, shifting geography, and not enough judges.

Books allowed. Depending upon actual start date we need to define whats accesible will the PHB2 be allowed, etc. Personally I am in favor of splat books being allowed with editing for 4th edition breakers, though I hope this will be less of a problem giving the relative powering down of feats.

I liked the idea of core only for 6 months.

We just need to get some decision making authority implemented to get the ball rolling, or decide on a way to allow polling to decide failing that.

Is a week too long for the poll to be open? As I mentioned I just want to give everyone a chance to vote. But, I noticed that after 3 days the total has remained the same.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases