E6: The Game Inside D&D

joela

First Post
mixed reaction

rycanada said:
You guys are fantastic; I'm loving all this work on E6 and related stuff, because I think people will really click with this. My weekly game is on hiatus, so it's really great to see people getting other games together that see how E6 puts the whole game together.

There's been a fairly intense discussion of E6 over at http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=355059. The biggest arguments against the variant is that it supposidely can be duplicated by either playing another D20 game or alternative low-power fantasy (e.g., GURPS, Runequest, etc.).

joela

First Post
New E6 post

rycanada said:
Hey guys, could you start a thread about E6 class balance in House Rules?

rycanada, did you want to start the new post in House Rules? i have a question on an E6 variant and wanted input.

Ry

Explorer
Depends; if you want to talk about E8 or E6 with a different set of classes (i.e. Iron heroes E6 or Arcana Evolved E6), I'm sure here's fine, but if you're talking about balance issues or nitty-gritty rules matters (i.e. making a set of modified spells for E6) that's probably House Rules territory.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Alright, here's the first draft of my campaign document for Mu. It's based on the Sorcerer supplemt "Dictionary of Mu" -- I've altered it for d20, and tweaked a number of other elements to my liking.

And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

-Ozymandias
, Percy Shelley

The world of Mord is dying

Countless eons ago, Mord was a place of great beauty, a green jewel shining among the stars, but the slow passage of time has taken its toll. Forests and fields have been swallowed by the ever-expanding red desert, and the great ocean has been reduced to to a few meager brineflats. The works of the Old Ones -- mighty pyramids capable of sailing the void, metal stamped in the likeness of mind, hieroglyphs written in the strange language of Maths -- lie forgotten beneath the red sands, waiting for storms or arcane knowledge to bring them to light.

In dark Lemuria, the Witch-King sits atop his throne, gathering practitioners of dark and loathsome arts while the noble houses squabble over the scraps of power at his feet. His sorcerous followers make pacts with forces from forgotten epochs, and winged shapes wearing the faces of men darken the skies of Lemuria. It is whispered in the streets of his capital that the Witch-King has acquired a demon in the shape of a sword, a creature capable of consuming history itself...

To the east, the fanatical legions of Hy-Brasil are joined daily by new believers, eager to prove their worth to their Damsel Messiah so that they may be one of the 144,000 who join her when she ascends and leaves the wastes of Mord behind forever.

In the west, citizens of the decadent city-state of Atlantis sit idly in their crystal domes, unconcerned with the growing armies of Lemuria and Hy-Brasil. Under the domes, few surviving masters of enigmatic tradition of "psience" use their strange powers to grow powerful crystal weapons, strange alien beasts, and -- according to some -- even human life itself...

In times such as these, heroes are sorely needed -- will you restore Mord, or abandon it to its fate?

Mord is part of a jealous family of gods

Chief among the gods is Sar, he of the unblinking yellow eye. Sar is prayed to after sins -- not for forgiveness, as Sar has none, but to make the punishment swift and soon.

The Ringed Lord is a god of safety and family, symbolized by concentric circles drawn in the sand that represent the keep of stone rainbows that ward him and his family from harm.

Urd is the divine mother, the source of all life. It is said that when Mord dies, those who possess the means will travel to her gardens and rest forevermore.

Merkune is a god of greedy merchants, a lonely hermit guarding his endless silver mines and deep watering holes.

Venu is the goddess of love and beauty, but she has no sons or daughters, and it is said that her kiss is poison.

Few worship grim Mord directly anymore -- and those that do are an ill lot, for the god hates the parasites who live upon his world and desires nothing more than to be free of them.

There are others in the pantheon, but their temples are small and few.

Last edited:

Zelc

First Post
Here's a problem I've thought of. Even with the Death Flag, PCs will die sometimes. If they're level 6 with a lot of feats, this could be a problem. In E6 settings, I think it'd be very strange if every time someone died, another Aragorn-type hero just popped up out of nowhere and joined the party. Even if you use ritual resurrections, we still need to worry about the time between when the character dies and when the PCs finish the quest to set up the ritual.

I thought of a possible way to fix this problem, although this might not be for everyone. Instead of creating one character, everyone creates two. They only play one of their characters at a time, but they can swap their characters when appropriate (you could say the backup characters wait at the town or camp, or you could say the played characters are leading the way and the backup characters are just following them). Both characters gain XP at the same rate. That way, if one character dies, the player can play his other one. Hopefully, both characters won't be dead at the same time, but even if that happens, the player can temporarily play someone else's backup character. This can also vary the experience for your players so they're less likely to permanently switch characters. If you have a large group, it could be cumbersome to imagine a group of 12 heroes running around, but in such cases, it might be better (if you have mature players!) for players to pair up and cooperatively design one backup character for the both of them. After all, the fellowship was made up of 8 or 9 people...

Kunimatyu

First Post
Zelc said:
Here's a problem I've thought of. Even with the Death Flag, PCs will die sometimes. If they're level 6 with a lot of feats, this could be a problem.

If the player really wants their character back, there's nothing wrong with having the party go on an adventure to revive him.

There's also (in principle) nothing wrong with having the character come back in a session or two, preferably with some sort of severe injury from the thing that was supposed to kill them, and a story of how they beat the odds and survived.

If they don't choose to bring the PC back (hopefully because the player has achieved something important by setting their death flag), then a new one can be introduced.

Depending on the game, a DM might choose to:
a) let them start with a Level 6 PC with all the fixin's
b) let them start a 'normal' Level 6 PC
c) let them start a lower-level PC and accelerate their XP gain
d) let them start a lower-level PC and XP normally

It all really depends on the setting and how common heroic 6th level characters are likely to be.

Remove ads