Adventure Summary Incentives

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wik said:
Sounds good.

Although, as everyone who is in Phoenix's game knows, Three Skeletons can be a lot more important than you'd think (I believe we're in round 12 of combat on that one!)
Heh, yup. In my Face-to-Face game, the group spent over 60 rounds fighting 8 kobolds in a room with crates and a lot of cover. The turning point was on round 34 when the Kobold Shaman's Doom wore off due to the 30-round duration expiring. The next round, the Kobold Bard leader lost his Cat's Grace too (6 1 HD kobolds, a Bard3 and a Cleric3 against a party of level 2 characters). Take that all the people who whine about high-level combat taking forever (my high-level fights have alway been much faster than that!)

LogicsFate

First Post
I don't know if this with contribute to the discussion at all.

But allow me to mention two threads I just recompiled. I got some vague info on NPCs, locations, locations, locations, some lore and a last will and testament.

2nd half of Festival of Halina 800 post pre-crash, read time 2 hours. Usefull info? about three sentences. (Little permanent things, strong focus on PCs, and few NPCs, even fewer that weren't leaving by the end of it all)

Hired Hands 600 posts pre-crash, recompile time, 5 hours. Usefull info? Post after Post of information on Allimon, Grendath's followers in allimon, Farms on the way to ravensdale, NPCs galore, (All of which would still be there for DMs use) PC stories(Lore) and a very nice write up of a last will and testament one could leave with Joe, had they felt the need.

LogicsFate

First Post
O and I havn't been summerizing the adventures themselves, I'm having trouble seeing why I'd go through the time, when the monsters are slain and the goods looted. Or why I'd mention the Farmers son who died from wererats and anything he did other than dieing to Wererats.

I guess I could see the use, it just seems like a lot of summery when everything tend to change anyway.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Regarding Wik's cap: I'd be more in favor of changing the formula to 1 DM credit per 1000 posts, over introducing a cap. But I think the general consensus is that such a small reward would not be enough.

On a related note, I don't know how many adventures would actually be less than 500, but I think you should get at least 1 DM credit for summarizing an adventure, unless it has absolutely no information in it (for instance, if it never got off the ground).

To Boddynock, on the Wiki credit: I think posting to the Wiki should be part of the deal. It's not much extra work to copy-paste the post onto a Wiki page. They don't even have to disseminate the information, just make a new link on the History page and paste their stuff in. (Of course, disseminating it would be nice, but that's a whole different ball game. I'll try to take care of that kind of thing, there's already a bunch of stuff in there that needs to be disseminated. The Wikimonster mostly consists of me, and I'm pretty busy. :heh: )

LF: Well, crumblemuffins! You just gave us a perfect example of why a reward system based on post count will not always be fair. I wonder if those two examples are red herrings, or if this kind of stuff will come up often.

I hate to regress. Should we rethink our postcount-based formula?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rae said:
LF: Well, crumblemuffins! You just gave us a perfect example of why a reward system based on post count will not always be fair. I wonder if those two examples are red herrings, or if this kind of stuff will come up often.

Well, I already gave a similar example--A Teacher for Laynie is somewhat shorter than Immortality awakens and probably has, no joke, over 50x as much info. Post count is flawed in that sense, though I think LF's choice of comparison may not have been perfect either (the last 800 posts of FoH had less info because the were the last 800 posts of a multi-thousand post adventure, and so lots of info was at the beginning, and so by the end, we knew all the place info already, you know? Plus it had chatty players. Chatty players or lots of players == more posts with less substance than you get with fewer quieter players)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Right, I knew we already had ATfL and IA. But now we have another instance of gross disproportionality. Which is why I'm calling into question our estimation that posts=info, more or less. (It's starting to seem more like... less.)

LogicsFate

First Post
They were the last two big ones I did and I participated in both.

And looking back at El Jefes recombile of the first half of FoH, there wasn't as much as one would think. FoH, which I read over for fun, (even the solid page of OoC :eek:) Took me less time to read than the second half, and had just a little more info, maybe tripling the amount that I found. 3x "not much" still isn't that much. As he said, Most places in the thread we're temporary or allready decribed other places. So 2000 posts all togeather and less than a page of info. The info I got from the 2nd half was stretching it. Dwarven beer name, Name of a Kataran Tribe, ect.

Rystil Arden

First Post
LogicsFate said:
They were the last two big ones I did and I participated in both.

And looking back at El Jefes recombile of the first half of FoH, there wasn't as much as one would think. FoH, which I read over for fun, (even the solid page of OoC :eek:) Took me less time to read than the second half, and had just a little more info, maybe tripling the amount that I found. 3x "not much" still isn't that much. As he said, Most places in the thread we're temporary or allready decribed other places. So 2000 posts all togeather and less than a page of info. The info I got from the 2nd half was stretching it. Dwarven beer name, Name of a Kataran Tribe, ect.
I think we should bear in mind, however, that you and El Jefe are mostly looking for places, and NPCs/culture/etc might be the trickiest aspect of it. Still, you may be right--FoH was long because of player hijinks and Lasair and Elise chatting a lot ;)

LogicsFate

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I think we should bear in mind, however, that you and El Jefe are mostly looking for places, and NPCs/culture/etc might be the trickiest aspect of it. Still, you may be right--FoH was long because of player hijinks and Lasair and Elise chatting a lot ;)

True, so true. I'm trying to get anything that would be usefull to future GMs with a bit more of a focus on NPCs and such that would still be there on location. I'll start posting recompiles as soon as I finish Curse of house Thimbral. Stupid double shifts are making it hard to finish.

Maybe I'll go back and work the two summeries from the eyes of Elise and Valan, but I'm thinking they'll be short.

Man, those we're some fun chats. I'd leave on vacation and come back to a page a day since I left. And the Page and a half conversation about mythos and naked chess sets was priceless.(So much we got yelled at if I remember correctly.)

Remove ads