[OOC] Junk Yard Dogs [Sage Edition Imperial Game]

doghead

thotd
Discussion - SW Saga Edition.

Having bought the Star Wars Saga Edition book last weekend, I'm thinking about running a game. An Imperial game. One, because Stormtroopers are cool. And two, because I like the potential tension inherent in playing a member of the Imperial Forces. In the early days, the Imperial New Order would have been very much presented (and perhaps welcomed as) as a solution to the corruption, inefficiency and paralysis of the Republic. I'm not looking for a group of characters whose sole response to any problem is to shout "Die rebel scum!" and start shooting. I'd like a little more depth than that.

The game will be set on Tantooine some time before the beginning of 'A New Hope'. It won't however, have any great connection to the events of the movies. Indeed, it may not even follow the canon that closely. I'm a fan of Star Wars, but not a fan boy. I don't know much more about the setting than that which is in the movies. I've chosen this time and place because 'A New Hope' is my favourite movie, and Tantooine is the planet I'm most familiar with.

The characters will be members of the Imperial Garrison on Tantooine. They will be fairly new, low ranking individuals, and will form a squad of some description. The exact nature of the squad will depend on what follows.

doghead
aka thotd

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Well sounds like fun, so count me as interested, I'm in a starwars game already, but with a very different orientation.
I would like to play a jack of all trades, a scoundrel. The guy that apart from combat, is fairly good at everything. Something like that, with more info and time I'll make a background when you ask for it.
Luck

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
I'd certainly be interested in playing any number of character types, as this would be an interesting approach to a game.

I'd probably most like to play an idealistic officer who would probably become rapidly disillusioned in the Empire.

My other two thoughts would be as a Droid working with the unit or as a Stormtrooper with a habit of tinkering with his armor/weapons...a techie type.

Caliber

Explorer
I could see my way into a Soldier loyal to the Empire, and firmly believing what he does is for the "greater good". Disillusionment is not absolutely foretold, but enough obvious wrong orders might make him start reconsidering his career plan here ...

doghead

thotd
SW - Discussion

Welcome to the discussion everyone. So far, the concepts all seem pretty good. Meanwhile, a few more thoughts.

SW is intrinsically a higher level game. Higher, at least, than I usually play. Jedi Knights start at 7th. Jedi Masters are at least 12th level. With this in mind, I'm probably going to start at third level rather than first - not the newest of recruits, but not veteran soldiers either.

There will be combat in the game. But plot hooks will probably revolve more around investigation of unusual events. So the squad will need to have the sort of skill set that would lead to their being selected for more unconventional type operations - something like a couple of soldiers, a scout or scoundrel or two and an officer. They will probably sit somewhat outside the regular chain of command. But we can sort this out as concepts are developed.

I'm going to use the heroic classes for Storm-troopers (rather than the non-heroic classes used in the rules). Soldier would be the default class for Storm-troopers, but scout and scoundrel would also be possible. There will probably be a number of Storm-trooper variants to reflect this diversity. I'll probably set up a 'required' set of skills/feats in order to qualify as a Storm-trooper - covering armour and weapons proficiency as well as key skills. Something like this will probably apply to all characters. Sort of 'basic training'.

I will allow force users. This is something of a departure from the canon I suspect. But the force is cool. Besides, the Emperor is no fool. He knows force users will continue to be born. Better that they are moulded in his image than being free to develop as they wish. But in general, force users are somewhat despised by the Imperial Army. They have spent the last decade hunting down and killing the surviving Jedi. Being a force user is a career killer for any officer - captain at best say. Consider Admiral Motti's attitude towards Darth Vader and his 'sorcerer's ways' as being indicative of the culture of the Imperial Forces as a whole.

doghead
aka thotd

Voda Vosa

First Post
I will go with a scoundrel droid, it went rouge some time ago, but developed lots of usefull skills, son no one worries to wipe out his memory.

doghead

thotd
Discussion - SWSE

Concepts so far:

Voda - droid scoundrel
Shaggy - officer or droid or techie
Caliber - soldier
Bloodweaver - techie/demolistions

A nice balance so far, particularly if Shaggy goes with the officer.

A quick question to Caliber, and Bloodweaver. Are you thinking of Stormtroopers or regular human soldiers? My preference would be for Stormtroopers. Both of the above would be compatible with being a Stormtrooper. Having the bulk of characters Stormtroopers would give the squad a nice cohesion. Plus it would look cool.

I'm thinking about allowing players to swap two listed class skills for any two other skills.

According to the SW book, Stormtroopers fall outside the regular army chain of command. Instead they report directly to the Emperor. This doesn't quite fit with what is in the movies. But it could work quite well here.

I'll probably be throwing in some setting and character questions along the way. Here is one now.

What is the garrison at Tantooine like?

Down the track I am going to do a little backgrounding work. I'm thinking of having each of the players write a short description of how their character views each of the other characters. The views of others need not necessarily accord with the character's own view of themselves. As is often the case in real life. The other option is a little more drastic. Each player gets to suggest changes or additions to the backgrounds of the other characters. The character's player, however, retains the final say as to what is or isn't taken up. I've done this a couple of times and found it generally throws up ideas that the players adopt. Once people get over the feeling of 'stepping on the other players toes'. Anyway, we will see how it goes.

Anyway, enough random musing. Sorry if this all seems a little ... unfocused. I'd love to just get started proper, but don't want to do so until I can have a clear run at things.

doghead
aka thotd

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Officer it is then!

As far as the Tatooine garrison, I would see it as a percieved dead-end assignment. The place you get assigned when you've screwed something up and they want to put you somewhere out of the way.

Remove ads