Question for Mr. Rouse -Release date for Classes & Races

mhensley

First Post
Amazon is currently showing the release date of December 18 for the Classes and Races book. That's just too close to Christmas to make my Amazon wishlist (as I doubt it would be delivered on time). Can you confirm this date or, even better, tell us that it will be released a week or so sooner? Thanks.

Bruce Cordell just put this up on his Gleemax blog.:

WotC_Bruce, 11/14/2007 9:18:43 AM

I just got my copy of Races and Classes, the 4th Edition preview put together by Michele Carter. It is comprised of fabulous concept and finished art for the new game, plus a smorgasbord of essays written by everyone contributing to the 4th Edition D&D game.

My first impression: Wow--it's awesome! Ok, yes, I'm one of the essayists in the book, so perhaps I am tooting my own horn. On the other hand, if you are interested in finding out a wealth of information regarding the nature of the races and classes in 4th Edition D&D (more information, in fact, than will actually appear in the PHB (!)), this is your book.

I don't think it is released yet, so here is a preview snippet of the Humans essay (one of the essays I wrote):

Stories, myths, and legends; people build their identities upon narratives of that describe their past. Is it any wonder that humans, with their vague, ambiguous, and often demonstrably false origin myths, are the most changeable race of any who stride the world?
When the dwarves speak of being chiseled from the bones of the earth, and the elves sing of their leafy birth in the untamed Feywild, humans can only wonder. From what mold did humans spring? What god or primordial fashioned them, then abandoned them to the world without guidance or supervision? Or did they arise, as some learned sages claim, from the clay of the world itself, over millennia of slow variation from lesser beasts?
With no true knowledge of their beginning, lacking any familiarity with a creator, and absent a defined higher purpose a parent deity might provide, humanity claimed for itself the right to determine its own purposes.

So what's the typical time between a publisher getting their copies of a book and it being available at stores?

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
Scholar & Brutalman said:
So what the typical time between a publisher to get their copies of a book and it being available at stores?
Bruce likely got his in-house editor's copy of the book which is the version that should already be off to the printer. The book then needs to be put on a printing schedule; a test run printed for final print run approval; then the final print run and then distribution. Considering it is the 15th of November already... Dec 18th sounds like about the right date.

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
Oldtimer said:
Ten for that, you must be mad!

Sorry, just couldn't resist. :)

Agh, now I have Eric Idle's voice running amok through my head!

Actually, it's not so bad, considering I agree with John Cleese that Eric is one of the most naturally funny people on the planet (also a great musician).

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
mhensley said:
Thanks for the confirmation. As I said before, that's a little too close to Christmas for me to order though.
Were you only planning on using Amazon's free shipping? If you pay Standard shipping Amazon is saying the 18th is the cutoff in order to receive the item by December 24th, so it should be fine. In my experiences with Amazon, they have done a good job making sure the things arrived before Christmas.

Remove ads