What Epic Monster types do you most want to see?

Which Epic Monster types do you most want to see?

• Abominations & Entities (Cosmic Abominations)

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Angels (all the way up to Metatron)

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Daemons (Altraloths, Oinoloths, Four Horsemen etc.)

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Demons (Demon Princes, Lilith etc.)

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Devils (Archdevils, Ancient Baatrorians, Lucifer etc.)

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Dragons (Platinum Dragons, Black Hole Dragons etc.)

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Elementars (Sins) & Elementals (Warp Elemental etc.)

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Golems (Force Golems, Quark Golems etc.)

• Inevitables (Transformers from different Progress Levels)

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Intelligibles & Humanoids (dimensional playable races)

• Magical Beasts & Monsters (Great Beast, Infinitaur)

• Pseudonaturals (Lovecraftian/Far Realm creatures)

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Umbrals (Anti-beings) & Nightshades

• Undead: Mummies, Vampires, Wights and Ghosts

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Undead: Death Knights, Liches, Shadows and Revenants

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Something Else (Post Below)

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Poll closed .
Hey all! :)

Okay, this is linked to my recent thoughts on releasing smaller pdfs in an attempt to get things released much quicker.

Basically this is more or less to establish a possible release schedule, more popular monster types might see release before less popular types.

Edit: Just to note these would be relatively short pdfs (16-32 pages perhaps) that would eventually be combined into a print version.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I hit the "Something Else" option since I'd like to make sure, if you're going to break up Gods & Monsters, that the Gods portion of the book isn't forgotten either. Based on the preview you released of Surtur, those are going to be some great entries, and I'd really like to see them!

I went with choices that I would think would aid in epic adventure design:
Abominations & Entities - They seem like cool boss monsters. :) Great fluff and easy to build an adventure around.
Dragons - Same reason - Big and nasty.
Elementars and elementals - I like elementals, and they seen like (to me) a good type of epic level 'mook' enemy.
Golems - These are pretty cool and are usually surprising foes. (They make good switch-hit encounters)
Pseudonaturals - Because Azath-I mean Algol needs minions. :) (and because they have strange attack forms to trip up the players)
Umbrals - These sound interesting.
Both kinds of undead - Undead don't have much going for them in epic, as the lack of a constitution and 1/2 BaB means they need silly amounts of HD to function. (Though WotC printed an ability in a MM3 called Unholy Toughness which remedies that)

I would have voted for magical beasts but I didn't want to oversaturate the poll. :)
The others seem like interesting options, but demons and angels can technically be created with Ascension. Inevitables and Intelligables sound really cool, but I held off on them because I would prefer to see other monster types first.

WarDragon

First Post
Angels, because Good always seems to get left out of monster books.
Dragons, because, well...
Playable races. I can't wait to see if you can make high ECLs actually worthwhile.

Hi Alzrius matey! :)

Alzrius said:
I hit the "Something Else" option since I'd like to make sure, if you're going to break up Gods & Monsters, that the Gods portion of the book isn't forgotten either. Based on the preview you released of Surtur, those are going to be some great entries, and I'd really like to see them!

I may release the Gods portion of that book right after Ascension (or rather right after Ascension, and then I finish the Gods entries and their art). Its the natural companion for Ascension (moreso than the Monsters section, which was just thrown in because I really like creating monsters, the title was cooler and I thought it might grab more attention in that format).

dante58701

Banned
Banned
I'd much rather have the monsters. We are seriously lacking in them as of late. You can only use dragons, golems, and dire critters so many times before people get bored with them.

Hiya mate! :)

dante58701 said:
I'd much rather have the monsters.

Gods can be monstrous too...and monsters can be immortal/divine. Its shades of grey, not black and white.

dante58701 said:
We are seriously lacking in them as of late. You can only use dragons, golems, and dire critters so many times before people get bored with them.

The Bestiary has a fairly decent spread of monster types, I think its more a case of lack of more new monsters than the ones already there being boring...or at least I hope thats the case. :uhoh:

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
I went with choices that I would think would aid in epic adventure design:
Abominations & Entities - They seem like cool boss monsters. :) Great fluff and easy to build an adventure around..

I think they are the quintessential immortal opponent(s).

Dragons - Same reason - Big and nasty.

I am thinking 8 epic dragons, 4 cosmic, 2 nehaschimic and 1 other. Fieari's descriptor temporarily evades my memory (muhtamic or something like that?) curse my memory, I have it written down somewhere.

Elementars and elementals - I like elementals, and they seen like (to me) a good type of epic level 'mook' enemy.

Yes they are rarely the best bosses, but the Elementar templates should change that a bit.

It would be the Elementars (which is like multiple stacking templates) and dimensional Elementals (two of which are in the Bestiary). I may also include Primal versions of the elementals.

Golems - These are pretty cool and are usually surprising foes. (They make good switch-hit encounters)

If I republish the Neutronium Golem I may include all the Golem variants for it.

Pseudonaturals - Because Azath-I mean Algol needs minions. :) (and because they have strange attack forms to trip up the players)

The stranger the better. I have been thinking that in 4E the Akishra may well be a minion of the Cogent.

Umbrals - These sound interesting.

The background research on these is pretty cool, and I wonder if they even inspired some Monty Python stuff (Giant stomping cats who walk on their hind legs)...lets see if Google can find us a picture...

http://www.packthecat.com/PersistenceOfVision/Pictures/MonsterCat.jpg

...although I suspect Gilliam was more inspired by Surrealism than Occultism.

Both kinds of undead - Undead don't have much going for them in epic, as the lack of a constitution and 1/2 BaB means they need silly amounts of HD to function. (Though WotC printed an ability in a MM3 called Unholy Toughness which remedies that)

True, they are problematic at really high levels.

I would have voted for magical beasts but I didn't want to oversaturate the poll. :)

I have some really nasty magical beasts planned. I have been doing some research and brainstorming on them recently to make sure I have a 'signature' monster for every level of divinity (by level I mean status).

The others seem like interesting options, but demons and angels can technically be created with Ascension. Inevitables and Intelligables sound really cool, but I held off on them because I would prefer to see other monster types first.

I don't think people are familiar enough with the latter (Intelligibles especially) for them to rate high on the poll. There just isn't that awareness. But they are really evocative monsters, I'll say no more than that. ;)

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Upper_Krust said:
Hiya mate! :)

Gods can be monstrous too...and monsters can be immortal/divine. Its shades of grey, not black and white.

The Bestiary has a fairly decent spread of monster types, I think its more a case of lack of more new monsters than the ones already there being boring...or at least I hope thats the case. :uhoh:

It's not that they suck, it's just that the majority of monsters that can be used as DM fodder fall into those particular categories. Perhaps if there were more monsters of the non-divine type, this wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Especially since Divinity can be added to virtually any creature as a template, essentially rendering pre-templated deities a moot point at best. Sure, they make great examples, but realistically speaking, pre-templated creatures rarely, if ever see much use in any of my campaigns.

I far prefer, as do many DMs, to use base creatures and them template the Boss Monsters as we go along. This way it's far more customizable.

I've seen quite a few requests for basic monsters without the templates and I'm inclined to request the same.

Not everything epic need be divine or a god, mythology is full of creatures that were epic and definitely not divine.

We also need more Epic PC races. There just aren't any at all, unless you count leShay or hoary hunters...and you can only play those so many times before it starts getting boring as well.

We need some epic humanoid races. Ones that break the HD limitations.

Last edited:

Remove ads