New Dragon Article: Ecology of the Fire Archon

takasi

First Post
So, if I'm reading this article correctly then "out with the old" includes lantern archons and hound archons?

Lurks-no-More

First Post
I'm sorry to see the old-style Celestian archons go, but on the other hand I'm glad to see more interesting elemental creatures that fit the (meta)setting better.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Good article, I liked the 4E explanations. I don't agree about the archons at all. Mythology is filled with gods and their servants that have animal heads, or bodies or whatever. This seems to imply that doesn't make sense unless you are an animal or werewhatever yourself. Bah.

So, all servants/angels/whatever of humanoids are going to look like them exclusively? That doesn't make sense at all to me, but whatever. I'm hopeful someone will eventually do a third party expansion that puts some old skewl stuff back into the game.

Scribble

First Post
Zaukrie said:
Good article, I liked the 4E explanations. I don't agree about the archons at all. Mythology is filled with gods and their servants that have animal heads, or bodies or whatever. This seems to imply that doesn't make sense unless you are an animal or werewhatever yourself. Bah.

So, all servants/angels/whatever of humanoids are going to look like them exclusively? That doesn't make sense at all to me, but whatever. I'm hopeful someone will eventually do a third party expansion that puts some old skewl stuff back into the game.

I'm not sure I agree that the article was implying whatever god you worship should look like you. I could appear as a giant three eyed monk fish with wings if you so wanted.... But there should be some sort of reason for it. (Perhaps the worshipers live on the edge of a great lake and rely on the monk fish as a source of food and economy...)

The Archons didn't have any reason really at all to appear as they did. They just were...

NilesB

First Post
Zaukrie said:
I wouldn't mind angels that looked like like wheels of flame or four winged Bulls with a hundred glowing eyes myself; be both cooler than the old archons certainly.

Grymar

Explorer
Nice article.

I like the abilities of the 3rd stat block...teleport + a fire burst is a killer combination. The flanking rules are interesting, but rather tough to remember.

Remove ads