D&D 4E Wolfgang Baur's Open Design and 4E

Glyfair

Explorer
As many of you might know, Wolfgang Baur has a series of projects that are patron driven called Open Design.

He recently mused about whether he should consider paying the $5000 for 4E projects. He started taking donations towards the $5000, and if it did he would start a project for launch at GenCon.

I have a feeling he felt it was a long shot and, at best, would be pushing the March 1st deadline to make the $5000. If so, he was wrong. It took 4 days to make the goal.

Glyfair

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Holy crap.

Well, given the quality of the previous Open Design projects, I'm going to see if I can still get in on the 4E one.
I think it's pretty much closed to only those who are in the $5,000 patrons (largely because of the NDA issues). Which is a shame because even if I had donated, it would be a pittance compared to most of those who donated (Wolfgang noted he had over a dozen patrons when he was at the $4,000 mark).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hmm, then hopefully he'll offer it to the next folks in July who buy in and pay out extra for the previous project. (I did that with Castle Shadowcrag when I bought in for Empire of the Ghouls.)

Glyfair

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Hmm, then hopefully he'll offer it to the next folks in July who buy in and pay out extra for the previous project. (I did that with Castle Shadowcrag when I bought in for Empire of the Ghouls.)
I don't quite get the plans from what Wolfgang is writing, but it sounds like it's not exactly a "patron exclusive project>"

It sounds like the patrons get to be designers on the project (as usual) and it will be released at GenCon. So, it everyone might get a copy. It's definitely not OD5 (which will be 3.5).

Probably Wolfgang will clarify.

Monkey King

Explorer
Allow me to clarify. :)

Glyfair is right; the project will release at GenCon to the public, mostly likely as a simultaneous PDF and a print release. The nature of the project is under discussion. As usual for Open Design, we hope to do something a little different.

That's all I can really say at this point. I haven't seen the license and don't know its terms, so the whole thing might be premature. The public response makes it clear that curiosity for 4E is high, but there was also a notable voice of support for 3E content.

Fortunately, Open Design is launching the next 3E project in about a week. So I'll be able to directly compare the level of support for the two.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
It's nice to see there is still plenty of gamer support for good design. Congratulations, Wolfgang. It makes me happy to see this sort of thing.

catsclaw227

First Post
Dang it. I actually sent in some money without reading the fine print (or, rather, the follow-up post stating that he is DONE taking donations).

Now, what to do with the donation/patronage. I already get KQ. Maybe split it and roll it into OD 5/4e patronage? Who knows.

Remove ads