D&D 4E Wolfgang Baur's Open Design and 4E

Given that he had, "over a dozen" donations at the $4000 mark, that means the average donation was over $300. That rather confirms what I expected. Unless you donated a lot, you weren't going to get in on that. Not that this is in any way a knock, just really unsurprised that he got the money quickly and in large blocks.

Glyfair

Explorer
Ruin Explorer said:
Given that he had, "over a dozen" donations at the $4000 mark, that means the average donation was over $300. That rather confirms what I expected. Unless you donated a lot, you weren't going to get in on that. Not that this is in any way a knock, just really unsurprised that he got the money quickly and in large blocks.
I expect that part of it that the participants are co-designers and get a sneak peek at 4E.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Glyfair said:
I expect that part of it that the participants are co-designers and get a sneak peek at 4E.
Yeah, I think it was a lot of the freelancers NOT already contracted to do 4E work for WotC who were investing in their own future job prospects.

catsclaw227

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Yeah, I think it was a lot of the freelancers NOT already contracted to do 4E work for WotC who were investing in their own future job prospects.
If I was a freelancer, then $500-$750 would be WAAY worth my money to get in on the 4e stuff early via Open Design.

Glyfair

Explorer
catsclaw227 said:
If I was a freelancer, then $500-$750 would be WAAY worth my money to get in on the 4e stuff early via Open Design.
Given what we know now, there clearly won't be full access to the 4E rules (unless they mail around the rules). However, they certainly will get a significant peek (assuming the rules allow that in some way). Of course, they didn't necessarily know it at the time.

Wycen

Explorer
Whoa. I really wasn't sure it would be made considering 5 grand is significant, but in under a week and with possibly under 20 members, I guess I certainly under estimated Open Design's success. Though perhaps not all the donations are from Custom Adventure patrons.

Congrats Wolfgang.

catsclaw227

First Post
Glyfair said:
Wolfgang indicated the people donating "have a good track record with Open Design."
Yep. And more power to him. Wolfgang has been a model of professionalism everytime I have dealt with him.

I have a good "financial" track record with him, but between a cross-country move with my wife early last year, a new job, and a new baby on the way, that's the best I can do for Open Design for now.

I would LOVE to contribute more time and involvement, maybe for OD5, but my patronage will have to do for now.

Remove ads