The Four Lands - The Colony

Leif

Adventurer
J. Alexander said:
For Leif
[sblock]how much did he have left over on his sheet from the starting gold[/sblock]
[sblock=JA]I never wrote any gold down. I was told to select certain magic items for Hennett, but that's all I ever made a note of as far as equipment, gold, or anything similar.[/sblock]

J. Alexander

First Post
The Colony

For Leif
[sblock]Hmmm should have been a gold piece total for equipment purchases let me research it[/sblock]

"A very good point, the postion on the colonial council shall be attached to the patents and thus able to be passed on to your heirs. The interest rates are very simple 5 percent on all the loans to the council and for the patents...any additionaly loans that you may need or the colony may need outside of that are subject to a negiogated rate. And yes there could very well be additionaly land if the colony can take and hold it. Additionaly each of the five nations will have 25,000 acres each staked out by it's representatives to be eventually developed. Anything other than this inital acreage is to be the province of the colonial council to develop or sell."

Lou

Explorer
Alton Kanri, Human Cloistered Cleric/Battle Sorcerer of the Light

"Interesting. Very interesting. We must know more about the terms of the sealed treaty that would create the Colony, and the identities of the five lands." states Alton, matter-of-factly. "The sealed treaty's terms, it seems, would govern our collective futures.

What is the proposed form for the initial local govenrment? An appointed governor, I presume. Appointed by whom? What about local police power? Courts? How are disputes to be settled? It would be easier with a smaller group, than with the large group we would appear to be leading.
"

"On to questions of a more personal note, supposing we were to elect Letters Patent of nobility from the Colony for thirty thousand, would we gain diplomatic status in the five lands? For several years, no doubt, it would be a moot point, for we would have to keep the Letters Patent to ourselves outside the Colony, for security reasons. As clergy of the Light, Ederin and I are forbidden to marry. Would a dispensation for marriage be included for us, signed by the Prelate? They are not unheard of. Being a man from an ivory tower, as a nobleman, I would not know where to even find a suitable wife." Alton looks over at Ederin and snorts with laughter.

"That said, a title of nobility in an existing land would be worth more, especially in the short term. Accepting one could unbalance the relative powers of the five lands. This is something requiring must thought and discussion.

Being a man from an ivory tower, I would be willing to establish a school system and a local university as a part of my grant. I would also be willing to aid my new friends through my other abilities, in exchange for some joint business deals, so I too can repay my loans.
"

OOC: Looks to me like we have some interesting parallels to the historical settlement of New France. I hope we are dealing with the English and not the French.

J. Alexander

First Post
The Colony

Making a few notes on his pad he begins to address the questions "The five countries are, Gwnyedde, The Confederated States, The Republic, East March and Breechan. In addition there are several other minor states involved and the entire operation has been endorsed by the Prelate as well as the Primates of all involved countries. The diplomatic status would only be confered should the colony establish diplomatic relations with other countries and send accredited ambassadors..which may be plausable in the future but would not be feasible for at least five to ten years. Under the treaty it has been agreed that the colony is to be self governing and that patents issued by the govering council are to be recongnized by the signatories. Most of the terms of the treaty involve matters that touch on the financing of the colony and relations bewteen the five and are not open knowledge. Simply put, we wish to embed a thorn in the D'shai empire and have it grow to a proper bramble thicket.....are you gentlmen up to that task."

OCC:What....i would never read history and try to pull trick on you guys...no way no way

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Randal Lucius Stormweaver

"I'd take patent of nobility tied to the Colony. As an initial purpose, I plan to open school and library, history must be important part of any new land. We could even work together Alton, if we can agree on academy subjects." - Randal winks - "It means we get to choose which mistakes from the past we will repeat. School would be open academy type. And open to any and all who can meet the prerequisites. Regardless of race or nobility. I believe that everyone of us has some skills that can be put to use in such academy.

I know some people that would be willing to go along. I guarantee for their reliability.

As I understand it, governing of the Colony will be The Council consisting of us here and representatives of the Five. Later we can separate the group in small comitees commited to development of different facets of colony life.

As for taxes we would be obliged, I believe nobility from colony will pay taxes to the colony itself. And others would be exempt from taxes for initial five years, just as the colony. Right?"

Scotley

Hero
Alvar

"I think a school could be a good way to attract some talented people to the colony. I have some skills that might be useful there and would be interested in being a part.

Since the Confederated States are involved is there an expectation that the colony will be able to utilize slave labor?

I too want a fully understanding of the tax structure. Paying both taxes and interest could be a great burden."

Nightbreeze

First Post
I think that before bothering about schools and academies, the most important people in the colony will be the artisans, the farmers and the builders - laughs Ederin.

Besides, I suppose that it will be up to the council to decide the tax system of the colony, and the interest rates of the loans will be applied in the standard way. That is...hmm... he starts scribbling something on his notebook - alright, that is, for example at the end of the five years without interest payments a loan of 25000 coins would transform itself into a debt of approximately 32000 coins, and you would need to pay 1600 coins each year to keep the debt stabilized. If you want to repay it completely in seven years, for example (thus the last payment comes at the same time you gain access to the last 1280 acres of land), you would need to pay hmm.... another furious scribbling - ok, 5530 coins each year for 7 years. Fair enough, I think.

I'll give another example: say that while building the colony, we need 200.000 coins of loans in the first year, 100.000 coins the second, third and forth year, and none the last year. So, at the sixth year, in order to fully extinguish the debt, we would have to pay 602.000 coins in one single transfer. We could settle for a twenty five years term of repaying, and the annual transfer payment would be .... .... ah, now I remember the formula...umm, yes, this is it: 43.000 coins each year.

Well, if we find exceptional resources, we could repay back the loan sooner, and at lower cost.

After a moment of silence, he adds, reluctantly:

However, there is something that I don't really like: the acres given to each of the founding nations is quite big. That would be perfectly fine, under certain circumstances: for example, that would be fine, if that was unexplored and "free" land, to be taken and civilized by whoever has the strength and will to do it. However, as we would have to buy or borrow land from the council, it is implied that it is claimed by the colony. Thus, you should either "pay" those 100000 acres to the colony, by erasing them from its debt (the loan debt or the debt that you mean to erase by commercial advantages), or allow us to claim new land, at our peril and expense. Furthermore, are you implying that nation's representatives will get to chose their land before anyone else does?

Dracomeander

First Post
"I do not believe we are being purposely swindled, Pandak. It just seems that these folk have not truly taken in the differences in governance and inheritance between humans and dwarves. The lands they list involved in this project are all human. There was mention of consultation with our people, but I have not heard who was consulted or what the terms were for our inclusion in this project.
"Alton brought up a very good point when questioning what the Church of Light's position will be in this colony. While we dwarves respect the Light, we have our own ways that we would not appreciate being infringed upon. I have taken pains not to make my faith an open issue when working in human lands before. But this will be our new home if we join this project. We must be allowed to practice our own faith if we are going to be able to convince enough of the clan that there is potential for the future of the clan in this project."

Leif

Adventurer
Hennett

"I also am interested in the school, but, I must say that I do not feel myself to be eminently qualified to serve as a professor, unless you propose to include degree programs in Forestry, Agriculture, or Archery!":)

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Alvar

"Yes, please explain how we go about increasing our holdings and how land will be selected and with what priority."

To Hennet he adds, "Don't sell yourself short, forestry and agriculture are likely to be major industries."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases