The Four Lands - The Colony

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Randal Lucius Stormweaver

So, we need to go on the end of the world, survive on the unknown continent, build thriving colony that would be both self sufficient because of the distances involved and profitable enough for you to keep us supplied and all that before D'Shai discover that we are even there. And all that for little coin and promise of titles and land.

That is either most foolhardy enterprise or the best sheme of high stakes gamble ever in history of Four Lands.

Randal grins. :D

Keep talking, I'm interested, but I won't commit until I hear more details.

J. Alexander

First Post
beginnings

The spokesman replies to Randal..Those who wish to win the greatest reards must play he dangerous odds" then to Alvar hs says "Well i am certain thre is always a second or thigrd cosion to be found who is more than willing to take up an unexpected inheretiance"

Nightbreeze

First Post
Ederin speaks with a detached manner, as if this were something that had no connection to him.

"Thus, you wish to set up a colony that someday would be able to put a stop on the D'shai expansion in their ancient homeland. However, any colony is vulnerable at its beginnings, and therefore it will have to remain hidden as long as possible. Not an easy task, as there will be commercial routes and they could be discovered by D'shai sea captains, but doable, for a while.

There are several points that require clarifications, however:

First, so far you have not revealed your identities. This is fine for me....for now....and I can easily presume that you represent a government, or several government from here around. Or you are members of the great banks, and you don't appreciate the rise of a nation that is not your clients. Anyway, what is important right now, is: how far are you going to support this fledgling colony, and what will be the price you require? You promised a patent of nobility, and I can't fail to spot that unless it is supposed to be a title from somewhere around here, it will be a title regarding the new colony. Thus, you want to claim ownership of the new colony as a part of your nation? This is a really important point: the success of a newfound colony depends very much on it's level of freedom from any external factor. How much weight do you want in the government of the new colony?

Second, it is not clear the amount of financial help that you are willing to lend. The costs for a new colony can quickly reach astonishing levels, unless properly controlled. Are you going to give full support, expecting higher return, or are you going to let us handle thing by ourselves?

Third, no colony is made without colonists...and if you want to keep it secret, you certainly can't let the rumors spread. Thus you should collect new people and convince them that they are going to a wonderful land of opportunities, without saying where exactly...and not allowing them to return until the secret is spoiled. That is, unless you want that the new colony is just a military camp made by your soldiers or ex-soldiers.

Ederin makes a pause, waiting for them to respond. It is clear that this is just the start of an in-depth analysis of this enterprise, like the analysis made by skilled artisans or scholars.

J. Alexander

First Post
The Colony

Addressing the questions in turn the spokesman replies

To your first point suffice it to say the colony will be self govering under a sealed treaty bewteen the involved nationalities. Each of you would have a seat on the govering council in additon do a representative of the five countries involved pluse several elected members chosen by the populace. The patents of nobility will of course be tied to the new colony so if it fails then you shall have failed. The undertaking is to vast for one country to prusue on it's own hus a joint effort has been arranged...but each of the countries will in time have special rights that are defined in regards to trade etc..so that the intial expense will be repaid in time.

The second point is also easily addressed" and motions to a second envelope which appears next to each of you."The colony shall have sufficent backing to thirve should things go well however the monies involved will be considered a loan to the govering council and will have to be repayed from taxes starting the fifth year. Until that time no taxes or tiths are due to the sponsoring nations.

The third point is indeed the most difficult. We have recruited some on our own but it would be your first task to handel tis delicate matter and also the intial purchase of supplies.

For anyone who looks at the second envelope
[sblock]A letter of commitment from the Brighlw and Michar Banking Groups to honor loans of up to 1 million gold pieces per year for the next five years to the colonial council[/sblock]

Nightbreeze

First Post
After a moment of thought, required to assimilate the new informations, Ederin's voice proceeds, methodical and unexpressive.

Thus, the direct initial funds provided by the five countries are counter-balanced by privileged trade positions. Have you already established them? As things stand, the trade will be probably the first and most important source of income for the new colony, and thus it is a very delicate matter. A decision about the trade privileges could unbalance it dangerously, undermining the economical situation of the colony. It would be better if there was the possibility for it to completely repay the debts and then choose its own trade policy.

I shall say that your decision to allow such a huge credit line surprises me. I don't know the interest rates that you will be applying, however 1 million per year probably far exceeds our needs...probably.

As for the third point, a solution comes to mind: I am certain that there are several lands in these 5 nations that have always been poor, or where there were poor crops in the last years. If the government says that we are reliable, we can easily convince them to embark for a new start. The real problem comes after the establishment of the colony: you can bring in basic workers this way, but we need merchant routes. And if the colony is unknown, no merchant will come to us. Of course, you could send some trusted merchants, but they would have a too strong position in regards to the colony, enforcing high prices on their goods or low prices on hours.

I thing that much depends on the natural resources of the landscape near the colony. But, here comes the fourth point: have you already found the new/old continent? Or you want us to be the forerunners?

J. Alexander

First Post
The Colony

Once again the spokesman address the questions

Yes the outline of the trade positions have been agreed to be refined in conjuction with governing council as more information on the type of goods an raw materials available for trade becomes knows. Pointing to the dearves he says "It is only ftern great and sometimes painful negiotaions that they were allowed to participate as their elders desire new sources of metals as some of their older mines are playing out. Thus the mining concern and trade will be largley the provience of the dwarven backers of this venture. It has been agreed that until the debit is repayed, then the trading concesion stand. If you can do more with less then the sooner the coucil is more or less its own master.

The credit line was established using a worst case scenario in that in order to survive the colony will have to have 25 large merchant men dedicated to it's support as it will be almost a 7 month round trip journey for them..and it has been decided that supply ships shall arrive every quarter. That is a tremendious expense in of itself. Further that is the maximum allowed..you do not have to use it all at once.

As to merchants the goods will be purchased by factors here and sent on to you. Those merchants that you o recruit will operated within spefic guidelins established by the govering council.

And yes we have already sent an advance party to map out a likely region and yet a third envelope appears at your table containg the rough map on wiki.

Nightbreeze

First Post
Ederin sits back on his chair, and stops talking, so that the other could make their questions. Meanwhile, he starts examining again the information that he got so far, and confronting them with his own vast amount of knowledge. Already, several ideas are flooding his mind, but he is waiting to hear what the others think.

Dracomeander

First Post
Conrad finally shows interest in the envelopes as the third one shows up. He pulls out the map and starts studying it.

"Hmmm. I see your preliminary scouts have marked a large area of swamp here. Is this a tropical or temperate region, and what is the scale of this map? It will be easier to begin discussing possible needs as to whether this project is viable with those factors known.

"Climate will play a major factor on the time available to attempt to produce each year as well as what resources can be grown locally. Also scale will help determine whether that band of hills marked there is even worth prospecting, or whether the colony will have to search farther afield for the mineral resources that will be required."

J. Alexander

First Post
The Colony

"The region we belive is temperate, the swamp is more marsh land than true swamp though early reports state that there are some deep ravins that may well drop below sea level and give a tropical feel to those areas. The scale is very hard to determine but it is wo day's sailing upriver to that set of low bluffs to the west where a smaller river joins the main one. So lets say 50 to 70 to that point. The river itself varies in width from a four or five hundred yards to well over a mile and a half in width at some places."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Randal Lucius Stormweaver

People will be easy to find. There are plenty of people in cities that are literaly dying for second chance. They would be fierce in protecting what they see as new chance at life. Some of them will maybe need some healing and nurturing, but healthy life in new colony should recover them in no time.

Also, we might consider orphanages taking several older children with craftsman training to help out. In time they will consider new colony their only home and would react accordingly.

As for location, according to this map there are bluffs overlooking the river and backed with mountain. We could create defensible position there. With grasslands as our granary and pasture. Unless, that is, the river is trafficked by D'Shai. It would be hard to remain undetected.

Other location I'd suggest is on the mountain, up smaller river, accross the forest.

If the river is used by D'Shai I'd refrain from sending trading vessels unless called via magic. Also, if there will be arcanists with us, we should consider creating teleportation circle for small exchange of goods and men.

Of course, unless we get more information on this, final decision will have to wait our arrival there.

I'd prefer that colony remains as independant as possible. When colony pays it's debts it should be given freedom to govern itself. There can be some historical preferences, both cultural and in trade agreements, but in general it should be left alone. History teaches us that any colony distanced enough will in time fight for independance. We should prevent that in start by pledging it's independence in future.

My belief is that if don't manage independant survival in the first year, no amount of milions will make the colony self-sustainable. Also, there should be steady supplies of new colonists along with merchandise as there will be deaths from accidents and wild life in initial colonists.

What will we have as out starting package? I mean in ships and initial supplies. Or it is also in our hands?

Remove ads