A Sojourn in Sairundan Part 2 [Judge: Manzanita]

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 3 (HP:34 AC:15)

OOC: Cludge's response is up there somewhere... A little too much holiday cheer, Rae? ;)

Solange

First Post
"The Haboob may be fine, but we are Hurakan. We are revered among the tribes," Shadya says. "I am sure you will honor our tribe as a Dervish brother."

Phoenix8008

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
You notice a tenseness descend upon the table. Even Amin and Rafiq no longer wear smiles on their faces. Most of your meals are finished. Hayder says, "The orc tribe that you encountered on the way here. Can you tell us more about them?" He provides no comment on Shadya's mention of an unprovoked attack. His tone has changed from lighthearted small talk to a more businesslike manner.
Looking around at the silence, Kurgahz finally decides to speak. "We didn't encounter an orc tribe, just three half-orcs claiming to be scouts for a tribe of mixed orcs, half-orcs, and humans. They said they were fleeing from attacks by the Sairundan forces in the last year. Somethin about an attack where all the men were killed, all the halfers were 'rescued', and the women and children were left to survive... or not... on their own without food or water. They said that the violence wasn't worth the abundance of water in the area, so they were leaving to go somewhere else. You know anything about such an attack?" The large half-orc asks with a suspicious look in his eyes.

OOC: Has Kurgahz seen any other half-orcs here in the city? Just wondering because if they were 'rescued', but aren't here then he begins to wonder where they are...

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: No, you haven't seen any obvious half-orcs. Admittedly, not all half-orcs are recognizable as such by sight, and there were certainly some brutish passersby in the streets, but none of undeniable orcish descent. Neither have you seen half-orc children.

Hayder leans back as Kurgahz relates the orcs' story. "That is not how I heard it told," he says when Kurgahz finishes. Gram snorts and says, "Ha! Because Kadar's a lying serpent, that's why. Two sides to every story, eh?"

"No Gram, there are three. Two twisted accounts and the truth. Do not be so hasty to condemn a fellow advisor, Kadar has been a tall rock in a windstorm to the Hurakan these past years." Gram looks like he really wants to say something, but Rais interrupts him, "Father, perhaps politics is too heavy a topic for now. Shadya and her companions have traveled for months, I am sure they desire baths and rest now." He looks sympathetically at his sister and her trail worn band of guardians.

"Of course, you are right. Forgive me, I forget that not everybody is as interested as I am in the dealings of the advisors." The conversation steers towards lighter subjects, and Hayder brings out a bottle of Nimbusad wine. A toast is made to Rais, and then lunch is over.

Hayder thanks you all again and excuses himself and Gram to another room where they can talk in private. Rais directs you to rooms where you will be sleeping and can store your things, and then he sends you out to the baths where you can finally clean the sand from your bodies.

Once you're cleaned up and settled in, you have the evening to yourselves.

OOC: You can take a moment to make some purchases if you like, and also finalize your supplies and finances after the journey. Rais' trial is not for 2 days, so please give a brief indication of what you'll be doing until that time, and then we can plunge right in.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Kadar is one of the advisors to the Patriarch. He's been around for a while, and Shadya remembers him, but she doesn't remember too many details about the relationships or personalities of the individual advisors. They are certainly respected individuals, though.

OOC: No, although in the letter that Shadya received, Hayder did mention Kadar's son, whose title had been changed from 'ai Kadar' to 'ai Typhoon'. Shadya couldn't have known that though.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Kurgahz will be happy to explore the city some during their free time, but he's wise enough not to do this alone. Only with at least one other party member. Specifically, he'll keep a close eye out for any other "Halfer's" like himself to see if he can locate any of those who were "rescued". No purchase right now. Kurgahz is saving up for something big later.

Trouvere

Explorer
Conuld might have expected to have his spirits lift after arriving at their destination. Instead, he falls into a deeper slough. He dispiritedly confides in Cludge. "It's your fault, of course," he says. "You made me drink that dwarven whiskey, and next thing I know, I'm buying a horse and a month's dried food. And now we're on the other side of the world, from whence I had high hopes of bringing back knowledge of strange magics rarely seen in Orussus - and what do I discover? Besides a travelling salesman who visits once a year, I'm the only wizard for hundreds of miles around! Apparently. I left a library to pursue magic, and all I've found is an invitation to another library... whose name I can't even pronounce properly."

On the following morning, he'll prepare what might be called an off-duty selection of spells. If anyone wants to see the sights of Helatia, he will stir himself to accompany them; otherwise, he is content to mope around the house. If the two youngest children are about, Conuld not particularly subtly attempts to impress the usefulness of arcane power on them with small but extravagant displays of prestidigitation.
[sblock=Spells prepared](0) Message; Light; Prestidigitation; Prestidigitation; Prestidigitation
(1) Enlarge Person; Comprehend Languages; Unseen Servant; Silent Image
(2) Cat's Grace; extended Mage Armor; Scorching Ray

OOC: is the city sufficiently sheltered and shady that Endure Elements is no longer required routinely? If not, then exchange Scorching Ray and Silent Image for the usual (extended) Endure Elements.[/sblock]

Solange

First Post
Shadya would like to spend time with her older brother (and possibly father) practicing and leaning some of what he(they) knows of the Dervish training. She'll also spend some time with her two younger brothers, having not had a chance to see them for ages. Rafiq is likely doing some kind of spiritual training, so this might be limited to later in the afternoons or evenings.

She will also be willing to help guide anyone who wants it around the city, playing tour guide, or simply guiding people to where they might want to go.

Remove ads