• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you haven't banned Mage's Disjunction, how have you house-ruled it?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Mage’s Disjunction
Abjuration
Level: Magic 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: All magical effects and magic items within a 40-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No

All magical effects and magic items within the radius of the spell, except for those that you carry or touch, are disjoined. That is, spells and spell-like effects are separated into their individual components (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does), and each permanent magic item must make a successful Will save or be turned into a normal item. An item in a creature’s possession uses its own Will save bonus or its possessor’s Will save bonus, whichever is higher.

You also have a 1% chance per caster level of destroying an antimagic field. If the antimagic field survives the disjunction, no items within it are disjoined.

Even artifacts are subject to disjunction, though there is only a 1% chance per caster level of actually affecting such powerful items. Additionally, if an artifact is destroyed, you must make a DC 25 Will save or permanently lose all spellcasting abilities. (These abilities cannot be recovered by mortal magic, not even miracle or wish.)

Note: Destroying artifacts is a dangerous business, and it is 95% likely to attract the attention of some powerful being who has an interest in or connection with the device.

-------------------

What changes have you made to this spell if you haven't outright banned it?

maggot

First Post
First, I removed the part about undoing artifacts, otherwise the spell becomes "destroy plot".

Second, I made it destroy only one item per person (will save negates, roll like failing a save on a 1). Otherwise the spell is too brutal and takes too long to resolve.

Third, I made the range 0'.

Zelc

First Post
My biggest beef with it is it destroys magic items. Changing it to suppress magic items for 1d4 rounds as per normal with Dispels would make it far more balanced (I guess you'd have to take out the part about destroying artifacts...).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Zelc said:
My biggest beef with it is it destroys magic items. Changing it to suppress magic items for 1d4 rounds as per normal with Dispels would make it far more balanced (I guess you'd have to take out the part about destroying artifacts...).
This, except the suppression lasts for 24 hours. That being said, I can only remember one single time it has ever been used in one of my games.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No changes in any group I'm playing in.

Even the part about destroying artifacts isn't bothersome- you have a 1% chance of doing so and you risk losing your spellcasting powers in the bargain while simultaneously having a 95% chance of attracting "the attention of some powerful being who has an interest in or connection with the device."

Just what you want- the artifact is gone, one of your best spellcasters is now effectively a low powered fighter, and Orcus shows up...

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Dannyalcatraz said:
Even the part about destroying artifacts isn't bothersome- you have a 1% chance of doing so and you risk losing your spellcasting powers in the bargain while simultaneously having a 95% chance of attracting "the attention of some powerful being who has an interest in or connection with the device."

Right, but the level at which 9th level spells are gained for Clerics and Wizards is 17th level, thus 17% chance of destroying said artifact. Remember, thats 1% per caster level.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
It's a 9th level spell so I haven't done anything to it. Being overpowering is okay for me at that point.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Remember, thats 1% per caster level.

Right- that was a typo of omission on my part.

But the logic remains the same- few parties would have more than 2 casters this powerful, and the risk of losing 100% of one's spellpower to a failed Will save when The Being from Elswhere shows up ticked that his favorite monkey-trap has been destroyed is pretty daunting.

Even if your PC makes his Will save, he'll still be down a precious 9th level spell when TBfE pops in.

Now, if we're talking about a 17%+ chance to remove the Orb of Screwing Up Everything and Everyone on the Plane from reality, somebody might think that all of the above is an acceptible risk.

But for Baba Yaga's Hut or the like? I don't think there's too many spellcasters who'd risk everything to rid the world of that!

Remove ads