• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you haven't banned Mage's Disjunction, how have you house-ruled it?

Rugult

On Call GM
I think Disjunction is one of the 'Nuclear Missile' spells in the SRD. Players should be wary of using it because DM's may well retort in good kind. Thus a fine stalemate has to be met.

Since I am running the War of the Burning Sky campaign path, several of the enemies are specialized in counterspelling and dispelling, which means at epic levels there will likely be some caster capable of disjunction. Hopefully it won't come up too often, but I figure the players should always be ready for one or two NPCs keeping a nuke in their back pocket for when things go bad.

Quartz

Hero
Rugult said:
I think Disjunction is one of the 'Nuclear Missile' spells in the SRD. Players should be wary of using it because DM's may well retort in good kind. Thus a fine stalemate has to be met.

I disagree: get the players used to it and there's no problem. Equally, when designing an adventure where Disjunction is used, you need to drop the CRs slightly to reflect the possibility that PCs might not be up to par.

And at Epic levels, Disjunction is not an issue because the party mage enchants everyone to be immune.

the Jester

Legend
the Jester said:
I haven't changed it at all; I use it as-is.

In all fairness, I guess it's worth mentioning that I do have a "counterspell" for it- a 9th level abjuration called Disjunction Buffer that "takes one for the team" for all your other effects when you are hit with a MD. It is destroyed in the process, though, so if you are up against someone packing multiple MDs you're kinda screwed.

joela

First Post
Go ahead

I'd leave it as is. My players know, though, that I believe in what's good for the goose is good for the gander and that their PCs will eventually meet an opponent(s) who has the same spell.

At will :]

Crothian

First Post
We never house ruled it. I told the PCs from the start of the campaign they are not their equipment and that equipment can come and go. They were fine with that and understood.

As for the time it takes, I find that slow players are slow no matter what we are doing. There are ways to speed things up though.

Remove ads