Monster stats

Khaim

First Post
So I'm designing a 4e one-shot, and I decided to make it epic level (22, to be precise). I leveled up a bunch of monsters and created a few of my own, and that was fine. But now that I've started to stat the PCs, there's a bit of a problem: their defenses are far too wimpy.

The HP-damage comparison seems to be roughly correct. A normal level 22 monster has about 200 HP (250 if brute, 150 if artillery/lurker). The fighter is doing 2[W]+Str minimum, 3[W]+Str or more on his better powers. With Strength 22 and a +4 weapon with d10 base damage, that's 21-26 per hit. The striker is doing a fair bit more, of course. Meanwhile, the same fighter has about 160 HP, and level 22 monsters are averaging 20 damage a hit. Combat may take more rounds, but we knew that already.

Note that having 22 in their primary score is a reasonable assumption at this level: base 14, +2 for race (probably), and six ability increases. I'm assuming that ability increases are like SW: two abilities each get +1.

Now things start to break.

An examination of the monsters we have, plus the Customizing Monsters article, reveals that a monster's AC and Defenses are 10+level+bonus, and their attacks are at level+bonus. The AC bonus is never lower than the defenses; usually 3-6, compared to defense bonuses of 1-4. Attack bonuses are in the 2-6 range. There are some exceptions to these, of course, and trends among monster class, but that's the overall picture.

So an "average" level 22 monster has AC 36, Defenses 34, and a +26 attack.

A 22nd level fighter with +4 Plate Armor (8) and a +2 Heavy Shield (2) has AC 37. That's not bad- but if he drops the shield, he has AC 33. The wizard next to him, with +5 cloth and Int 24, also has AC 33. This isn't terribly low, but the other characters are all around AC 33-34, barring shields. So the monsters are hitting them on a 8, on average.

But what about Fort/Ref/Will? Well, the fighter with Str 22, Int 12, Wis 14, and a +4 amulet has Fort 33, Ref 26, Will 27. If he picks up his +2 Heavy Shield, his gets Ref 30.

Any half-way decent monster will auto-hit his Will and nearly always hit his Ref, with the shield. The wizard next to him, with Con 14, has Fort 27; he's going to be auto-hit as well. Note that this is with a 14 in a tertiary stat; while you can finesse a 16 or 18 in all three categories, you're still going to be hit on a 3 or so.

So, what's going wrong? Am I missing some really big bonus? When a defense that has a class bonus and is backed by the primary stat is only mediocre, I'm worried.

Last edited:

Lacyon

First Post
For one thing, monster attacks versus non-AC defenses seem to be a couple points lower than vs.-AC attacks (probably due to proficiency bonuses on the weapon-based attacks). See the Chuul Juggernaut and the Pit Fiend for example.

For another, I'm thinking that non-AC attacks are supposed to be more likely to hit in general (and probably not do as much damage or have fewer rider effects, or be followup attacks that require an initial attack to hit before they get a chance to go off). Chuul Juggernaut and Pit Fiend both have examples of this as well.

For yet another, it's quite possible that your off-stat bonuses are lower than expected, or that there's some undisclosed bonus at Paragon and/or Epic Tier.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Khaim said:
An examination of the monsters we have, plus the Customizing Monsters article, reveals that a monster's AC and Defenses are 10+level+bonus, and their attacks are at level+bonus. The AC bonus is never lower than the defenses; usually 3-6, compared to defense bonuses of 1-4. Attack bonuses are in the 2-6 range. There are some exceptions to these, of course, and trends among monster class, but that's the overall picture.

I thought attacks were ability mod + 1/2 level and defenses were 10 + ability mod + 1/2 level. Do monsters get their full level while players only get half?

Sojorn

First Post
Quick note

Shields don't have enhancement bonuses any more.

You only ever get 3 enhancement items, your weapon, your body armor and an amulet or cloak.

You're probably leaving out various feats that give bonuses to defenses. Like the chainmail specialization feat that gives +1 AC. Additionally, there will probably be more powers at that level that give defense bonuses. Upgrades to the safeguard smite for example.

Khaim

First Post
Falling Icicle said:
I thought attacks were ability mod + 1/2 level and defenses were 10 + ability mod + 1/2 level. Do monsters get their full level while players only get half?
More or less. Monsters have stats based on their level and class, and then tweaked a few points from there. The level bonus is equal to their full level; unlike the PCs, that's almost all of the total. The "Customizing Monsters" spells this out fairly explicitly when it says that you add or subtract 1 for each level you change the monster by.

Sojorn: I thought about feats etc as well, but the gap is more than 2 or 3 points. To break even with the monsters you need 6-8 points, and that seems a lot for "some random feats". Plus, this means that you have to take defense-boosting feats to have a chance in Hell. (Literally.)

As for the shield, well, the pdf has a +1 Heavy Shield from somewhere. I assumed they were still in, but that the magic bonus was more expensive (since it's purely additive). It doesn't break the game that much: a +4 bonus to AC is big, sure, but I'd imagine the bonus from two-handed weapons gets rather large as well. It's a style choice. This is just speculation, mind you.

Stalker0

Legend
Khaim said:

Here's the question, how many "average" level 22 monsters have we seen?

WOTC has said repeatedly that their monsters aren't slaves to a formula. That customizing article is for quick changes to a monster, not for monster design. My guess is that monsters attacks aren't strictly level + bonus.

If we look at the war devil, which I'm assuming is where your getting your "average" stats, consider this. The war devil is a brute, its supposed to be a big melee guy that hits hard. So a high attack is completely expected. However, he has no will save targeting abilities, and there's no reason to believe if he did that they would be at +26.

Look at the succubus. Here melee attacks are +14, but her will saving hits are +12.

Last edited:

Khaim

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Here's the question, how many "average" level 22 monsters have we seen?

None. But we do have:
Ice Archon: level 19, attack +24
Bodak Reacher: level 18, attack +23, vs Fort +20
Chuul Juggernaut: level 23 elite, attack +30, vs Will +29
Angel of Vengeance: level 19 elite, attack +25
Phane: level 26 elite, vs Ref/Fort +29
War Devil: level 22, attack +26

The pattern is pretty clear. It holds at lower levels as well.

Stalker0

Legend
Khaim said:
None. But we do have:
Ice Archon: level 19, attack +24
Bodak Reacher: level 18, attack +23, vs Fort +20
Chuul Juggernaut: level 23 elite, attack +30, vs Will +29
Angel of Vengeance: level 19 elite, attack +25
Phane: level 26 elite, vs Ref/Fort +29
War Devil: level 22, attack +26

The pattern is pretty clear. It holds at lower levels as well.

I think the pattern also shows that monsters tend to have lower attacks when they target fort/ref/will then when they target AC. So if there was a 26th level monster that had a will save attack, good money would say its lower than 26.

Remove ads