Iron Man 2, Thor announced for 2010

bento

Explorer
Iron Man, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man movies all stuck close to the spirit of their comic book origins, but I'm seeing a major rewrite for Thor.

I just can't see audiences today getting wrapped up watching a lame doctor gaining the power of Thor to fighting off an alien invasion while vacationing in Norway.

So if you were called in to write the screenplay on Thor's origin, how would you do it?

As for villain of this movie, I can't see anyone else except Loki. What are your predictions?

bento said:
Iron Man, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man movies all stuck close to the spirit of their comic book origins, but I'm seeing a major rewrite for Thor.

I just can't see audiences today getting wrapped up watching a lame doctor gaining the power of Thor to fighting off an alien invasion while vacationing in Norway.

So if you were called in to write the screenplay on Thor's origin, how would you do it?

As for villain of this movie, I can't see anyone else except Loki. What are your predictions?
I expect its likely to go more the Ultimate route more than the classic, which probably works best for Thor more than almost any other hero due to the origin.

Still, its so early in the game with this one that about the only thing we know for sure at this point is Matthew Vaughn is directing. A good sign, in my opinion, but sadly not much.

bento

Explorer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I expect its likely to go more the Ultimate route more than the classic, which probably works best for Thor more than almost any other hero due to the origin.
Being an "old-school" Marvel zombie, how does that go again? I quit comics (again) after finishing the first Ultimates series. Didn't really like the interplay between the characters.

bento said:
Being an "old-school" Marvel zombie, how does that go again? I quit comics (again) after finishing the first Ultimates series. Didn't really like the interplay between the characters.
Its generally the same in the sense that he's Thor, God of Thunder.

But from the start there's real question as to whether he's actually a god or not. There's as much evidence to say he's just a crazy guy claiming to be a god as there is to him possibly telling the truth. Eventually he does turn out to be a god, but the interplay up to that keeps things a bit more grounded in reality...if it can be called that.

One of the big things that would make it more likely for a film is that most all of the direct Asgard connections just simply aren't there. Eventually they do start to become more prevalent, but from there start there's basically nothing with the convoluted fun of Asgard and all that stuff.

bento

Explorer
But that still doesn't make for much of a "wow" origin like SM's death of Uncle Ben, Punisher's family getting killed, Stark held captive or FF's family bonding through cosmic radiation.

I liked the explination of Thor's dwelling on Earth to be attributed to his arrogance. Odin sends him to Midgard, memories wiped and in the shell of a lame and frail man to teach him humility. But once again, kinda ho-hum as far as origin stories go.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
bento said:
But that still doesn't make for much of a "wow" origin like SM's death of Uncle Ben, Punisher's family getting killed, Stark held captive or FF's family bonding through cosmic radiation.
I think a guy who can command the weather has plenty of "wow" potential built in. He'll probably wind up fighting some D&D refugees: giants, trolls, dragons, and such.

bento

Explorer
Felon said:
I think a guy who can command the weather has plenty of "wow" potential built in. He'll probably wind up fighting some D&D refugees: giants, trolls, dragons, and such.
I'd like to see him go toe-to-toe with Loki, the Absorbing Man and the Destroyer (using JIM 114 - 123, the Trial of the Gods storyline as inspiration). That would have enough Midgard-Asgard action to satisfy me!

Remove ads