Iron Man 2, Thor announced for 2010

bento said:
But that still doesn't make for much of a "wow" origin like SM's death of Uncle Ben, Punisher's family getting killed, Stark held captive or FF's family bonding through cosmic radiation.

I liked the explination of Thor's dwelling on Earth to be attributed to his arrogance. Odin sends him to Midgard, memories wiped and in the shell of a lame and frail man to teach him humility. But once again, kinda ho-hum as far as origin stories go.

If it means anything, that kind of stuff is hinted at. Its just that the Ultimate origin doesn't get so heavy into Norse mythology. Instead it takes a more serious look at Thor as a man who might just be crazy or MIGHT be the protector of the planet sent from Asgard. There's an interesting character conflict that definitely would work well.

Felon said:
And let us not overlook 2011's "The First Avenger: Captain America", followed by the Avengers movie.

Word seems to be whoever does Cap will essentially be filming both simultaneously. Just wish we could get word on who they're going to have playing Cap, as it strikes me as one of the harder roles to cast since he's just...well, he's Cap.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Just wish we could get word on who they're going to have playing Cap, as it strikes me as one of the harder roles to cast since he's just...well, he's Cap.
Yes, Cap is the hardest movie role I can even think of, I mean whoever takes that role will have to portray the figurative embodiment of the "American Spirit." Much as it might get dismissed that sort of character is extremely hard to do right. More than that if the actor or director get it wrong they could screw up the reputation and revenue of subsequent Marvel movies.

HeavenShallBurn said:
Yes, Cap is the hardest movie role I can even think of, I mean whoever takes that role will have to portray the figurative embodiment of the "American Spirit." Much as it might get dismissed that sort of character is extremely hard to do right. More than that if the actor or director get it wrong they could screw up the reputation and revenue of subsequent Marvel movies.
There's a rumour that's regaining some steam that it'll be Matthew McConaughey as Cap. And...physically, I can see that. If he could just lose that horrible accept and find a way to put on an actual aura of presence then he could probably work.

...but its still a rumour, of course.

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
There's a rumour that's regaining some steam that it'll be Matthew McConaughey as Cap.

Oh, God, no. *shudder*

Frankly, I think Cap should--I might even go so far as to say must--be a semi-unknown. He doesn't need to be a complete newcomer, but he cannot be an established star.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
bento said:
I'd like to see him go toe-to-toe with Loki, the Absorbing Man and the Destroyer (using JIM 114 - 123, the Trial of the Gods storyline as inspiration). That would have enough Midgard-Asgard action to satisfy me!

Three words: too many villains.

We see it time and again in superhero movies - if you have too many villains, the movie isn't as good. Pick one, and do it well.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
There's a rumour that's regaining some steam that it'll be Matthew McConaughey as Cap.

Which would work if you want to emphasize Cap as the embodiment of Stoner America, sure. :p

I think McConaughey does a great job in the upcoming Tropic Thunder movie, but it's a role that didn't really require much of an acting stretch, honestly, and I personally don't feel he's got the chops to do much. He's a pretty face, that's about all there is to him.

I still think Aaron Eckhart would make a good Cap, even if he will be over 40 by the time they start shooting. Thomas Jane might be a good one, too.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
There's a rumour that's regaining some steam that it'll be Matthew McConaughey as Cap. And...physically, I can see that.

If that comes to pass, it's time to start picketing. Matt McConaughey just is not Captain America. He specializes in slouching ne'er do wells, not men of substance.

Cap is one of the hardest heroes to get right, even in the original format. Doing him in film will be even more difficult. Which is not to say it cannot e done. It'll just be difficult.

Well-known actors do have the issue of bringing with them a strongly established style in their previous work. Few actors have made a habit of playing Boy Scouts, so finding an established actor may be difficult.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Frankly, I think Cap should--I might even go so far as to say must--be a semi-unknown. He doesn't need to be a complete newcomer, but he cannot be an established star.

Good luck with that, though. A movie like Captain America, which is essentially a one-pony show and giving the key role to an unknown? There's no way they could possibly sell it, I don't think. (Just a reality of how the movie industry works.)

A relative unknown as Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christiansen) worked because they had major stars in most of the other roles- Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Samuel L. Jackson- as well as name recognition of the movie (Star Wars) and George Lucas' pull.

Marvel has some degree of leeway because they've brought their movies back in-house, but they still have stockholders to answer to, money to raise for the production, etc. I don't see any conceivable way they could get away with a non-name star in the role- which, to be fair, even includes my hopefuls of Eckhart and Jane. (If they had a big enough name as the villain- likely the Red Skull- it would help, like they did with Travolta on Punisher, but it's iffy.)

Cthulhudrew said:
Good luck with that, though. A movie like Captain America, which is essentially a one-pony show and giving the key role to an unknown? There's no way they could possibly sell it, I don't think. (Just a reality of how the movie industry works.)

I dunno. It worked for Superman Returns.

I agree, there had to be some star power. But I think there's enough room amongst the villains and supporting cast--especially if they play up the importance of Sam Jackson's Col. Fury--to make it work. :)

Felon

First Post
Umbran said:
Three words: too many villains.

We see it time and again in superhero movies - if you have too many villains, the movie isn't as good. Pick one, and do it well.
A lot of folks say that, but I don't see a tautology here. Multiple villains worked well in X-Men. Didn't mind it in Spidey 3 so much either. The Schumacher Batman movies just stank in general.

I think it's a matter of having villains that actually mesh. Loki and Absorbing Man isn't a bad team-up, for instance. They're good foils for each other. And since Loki endowed Absorbing Man with his powers, we don't get that awkward situation where we're presented two completely separate and unrelated villain origins.

The other good thing about Absorbing Man is that he's a trick villain. You can't just pound him into submission. Ya gotta make him use his powers against himself.

Remove ads